feathers on a log cabin

Way to go Bonnie!! Thanks for all the encouragement. I know I can do them, I just have to take small bites and not see

106 x106 staring at me. I will probably attack after work tomorrow night. With any luck it won't see me coming and I won't get bit!! I have studied and studied Kim's photos. Thanks for the advice. Wish me luck and hopefully by Monday night I will have a stunner to show you all. If I don't come back by Monday night.....just assume that the quilt ate me.:D;)

Tracey

You guys are ruffling my feathers! But the RIGHT way. Oh, I wish I could just do it.

Kimmie's feathers are so divine, and so are all of them! (Bonnie Botts, you are silly, a hottie quilter, and your feathers are gorgeous.)

The best advice I got about feathers was that the fluffy end should look like it's going to be complete circle and then changes its mind; and that the spine end needs to come together in a point, otherwise they look like half hearts instead of feathers.

Those two bits of information were the basis for my practicing.

Originally posted by AnnHenry

otherwise they look like half hearts instead of feathers.

AnnHenry...that's what hand quilter feathers look like and that is what was getting me into trouble for so many years...if they aren't perfect they look like crap..and I can't tell you how many I have taken out of a quilt...

Heidi...I didn't lie....this has all come about in just the last 6 months.....between the MQX quilt (which were my first feathers) and this baby quilt second batch.... I think now I can be a bit more lax and not so scared that I will have to frog. I still think these are to big, so need to scale them back a bit more on the next quilt...but will see how it looks once washed.

My feathers look pretty good, but then they are all on Magnadoodle, paper, or a white board. All my frogging involves erasers! Bonnie sure looks Bonnilicious! That's an awful lot of pretty in that picture, don't know what that blue is that you have on, but the color is great on you!

Also, I am a big fan of Darlene Epp's feathered log cabin quilts. They are the longarm feathers, not the formal bump feathers, but just as beautiful, IMHO.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/50058827WeKqwC

Thank you Shana! I did that quilt MANY years ago, and every time I look at the pictures of it now, I just cringe! But we all have to start somewhere, don't we? It's never going to be perfect the first time you do it! And it won't be "perfect" 10 years from now either, BUT it will be 10 times better than if you never tried the first time.

And that's my wisdom for the day. ;) Wish I could take my own advice sometimes! I still get scared spitless before I start a quilt, especially my own! SO...........I have a very LARGE UFO pile. :o

Originally posted by carolinequilts

Kimmy - I took a look at your webshots and the feathers in the log cabin are beautiful!! Do you teach this in a book? If so, what book? Are they freehand? Curious minds want to know!

Yes, Caroline, they are completely freehand with no marking at all and yes, they are SO MUCH EASIER (!) than you think they're going to be, and yes I have a book called Twirly Whirly Feathers. It's a workbook/2 DVD set and is available on my website at www.Kimmyquilt.com

There have been numerous reviews of the book posted on this forum, so if you want to see if other people found this to be a worthwhile purchase, you can do a quick search and read what other people's opinions have been before deciding whether or not to spend the money. ;)

Get the dvd and the book. Watch it a thousand times. Kimmy is a great teacher and her dvd is interesting as well as informative. I'd love to meet her andwatch her quilt in person sometime. Talented, talented lady for sure.

Tracey

Archived