Needle Holes

The troublesome quilt has spent the day in a tumble drier with wet towels, with no real improvement in the marks. If I work each hole in turn with a pin I can close them, but it will take forever (it's a double bed quilt) . I suppose I could have a needle hole party, but it isn't much fun.

Spraying the holes has no effect as far as I can see. Apparently it has already been steamed, also no effect. I may give that a go tomorrow. Tooth brush and water didn't seem to do much either :(

I think it is going to be very difficult to get a photograph of the indentations. It's really obvious if you get the light at the right angle, but not the rest of the time, so I will need good light and no flash to get a picture.

I'm running out of ideas now.

Ferret

Originally posted by Ferret

OK, I have the quilt.

It does have needle holes and on the backing which is a white on cream print (the thick plasticy prints) it' really obvious. On the front she seems more bothered by the indentation the thread has left. She has tried spraying and steaming it but it hasn't fixed it.

Ferret

So the fabric is plastic?:o or does it look/feel like plastic? I am thinking like the T-shirt plastic that leaves holes. Tell me I'm wrong, OK? Is it the "plastic" that doesn't close up? or the fabric around it?

Here's a thought. If you wash the quilt, it is still new! You could design a professional card that goes with the quilt as a gift. In the card, write up a description of the quilt, the fact that it is handmade and that with all handmade items, there are irregularities and flaws that are inherent with hand made items--which will in no way compromise the integrity of the quilt.. (I've forgotten how that is worded.) It's a sure bet that washing it will remedy most of those troublesome holes and, like Heidi said, will soften the whole thing to a very nice texture and feel. Besides, what's more pleasant than a soft cuddly handmade quilt from a loved one.

Hope your back feels better and you're able to carry on.:)

It's a white on cram fabric where the white is printed in a plasticy paint? It's hard to describe, but I bet you've met it. The holes aren't closing on the printed areas, not surprising. However they are hard to close on the plain fabric areas too.

I am still pretty sure washing would sort it out. However then customer doesn't want it washed. I basted the quilt, and the customer quilted it. Now we need to remove the needle holes and thread imprint without washing the quilt.

I am surprised that water has no effect, it works fine for quilts on the frame. As does steam. I am considering mounting the quilt again and seeing if stretching and wetting works any better.

My back is a bit better, I did some quilting today. I've had to stop though because it was getting worse again. The quilt on the frame is looking good. It's for one of my students and I think she will appreciate the work I am putting in.

Ferret

Hi Ferret

The white on cream fabric that you describe sounds very similar to some you can buy here in Australia at the CHEAP shop. They are basic cream with a painted overlay design. The overlay design will eventually fade and crack (badly) and look like cra@. If you crease this fabric you can actually pick off the plastic paint overlay, you described it perfectly as plasticy paint.

Good luck and I hope all goes well with your customer.

Also please look after your health. bad backs are not to be ignored, I always knew I had a niggly sore back but after a stay in hospital and MRI found out I had three bulging discs. Seriously slowed me down for quite a while.

Ferret

Have been reading this thread with interest - First, the fabric sounds horrid. I know you have spritzed the quilt with water - did you try starch? When I have to frog lots of stitches - first use my fingernail & then spritz with Mary Ellen's best starch & let it air dry. It kind of works like Boni's starch and steam method. Just an idea.

Failing all that great advice, being nice, patient and diplomatic etc. hand the quilt back, tell her to get a grip and wash the damn thing! - you don't need her and her needle holes in naff cheapo white on white in your glittering career!!;) Get rid of it and write this one off and never touch stuff like it again:mad:

LINZI xx

Hear Hear Linzi!

Dear Ferret, You've already put só much work in this quilt. I bet when you count the hours, you didn't make a penny. Sometimes the best you do is not good enough. That's very hard, but we have to live with it. Being a perfectionist I understand that is frustrating, but you could better go on and focus on something new.

Take care,

Wendy

How can she possibly say the indentations are from your basting and not her hooping for her hand quilting? Hooping that cheap white on cream fabric caused her problem. Do a little hoop test of your own and show her. You are too good to put so much energy into someone who is not giving an inch. Give her the money back, update your contract for basting services, then refer to her as a former customer. Five minutes after you give her the money back she will wash the quilt.

Ferret, Unless the customer will change her mind and let you wash the quilt, if I where you I would tick the box on this one and be done with it.

You have given far more of your time, with no gain. I am sure you have plenty to be getting on with as it is.

Just chalk this up to a bad experience, and add a future disclaimer that some fabrics behave differently, and may need to be washed. At least that way the customer cannot come back at you, as they will have been pre-warned.

Hope your back is feeling better this morning

Take care

The indentations are definitely from my stitching. She machine quilted the quilt after I basted it. and the marks match my needle holes, I've talked to my other customers I tack for and they tend to wash their quilts. The ones that don't hand quilt and find the marks vanish with handling.

I am actually thinking about not offering a basting service any more. I don't need this sort of hassle, and I can't see how I can sew a quilt without leaving needle holes. We are going over my accounts to see how much of my income comes from this service.

I will try mounting it on the frame and spraying and steaming. I've been wondering about the ethics of starch. I think there is a chance it would work, but I don't like the idea of leaving starch in a quilt that isn't going to be washed, because it attracts bugs. On the other hand this quilt is driving me nuts at a time I really need to be working on show quilts. It's tough to know which is the lesser of two evils. If that doesn't do it I guess my only option is to give her her money back.

Ferret

Hi Ferret,

I do feel for you. A suggestion I have for your business is to put a disclaimer in your paperwork about needle holes. Because of the size of the needle that is used on high speed machines, etc. etc. ----

I think putting the machine back on the frame may help. If you have access to that Best Press Starch by Mary Ellen -- that would be the one to use b/c it does not attract bugs. I personally do not like this starch and I think it is expensive but it may be the answer for this application. I would try just water first.

The "hole party" might be your only answer. If it is I am sure your friends will come through for you. I know if I were closer I would help.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Sandra

I wish Linzi was close enough to drag along :) At least I could have someone backing up my side of this. I think it hasn't helped that her friends have all told her she was stupid for getting it professionally tacked in the first place. Now they are all saying I told you so. Funnily enough that isn't making her feel any better about this.

Ferret

Ok I cannot remain silent any longer. Ferret This person seems to have to complain and I am sure you are not the first person she has done this to either. I would offer her a 10% discount and no more. Tell her washing it will remove the holes and be done with it. We all get these kind of customers. The important thing is to not let it get you down. You do fantastic work, focus on that and don't let this person steal one more minute of you of your emotional time. Time that you will never get back. Just my two cents worth.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

Ferret,

I agree with normal starch - it can actually attract bugs - but the Mary Ellen's Best is an alternative that I think does much better & does not come with the same issues as normal starch. Google Mary Ellen's Best and read about it and the other products available. I only have used her alternative starch.

I think you ought to give the quilt back - poor quality fabric will never be ok. I once used a fabric (from a good quilt store) that sounds similar to what is in this fabric - hated it & in the end took it out, bought more fabric and pitched that horrid stuff.

Archived