NQR: World's Toughest Fixes Comes to Alaska

OK, All of you quilters (or your family members) who are "construction" and "engineers" you might be interested in watching this program World's Toughest Fixes on Thursday, June 11 on your local cable National Geographic channel. This program features the Trans-Alaska pipeline (I work for this company) and last summer a film crew came here to record one of our major valve replacements. This particular valve is located right here in Fairbanks where I live. Anyway, it's pretty interesting how they do this type of work. A year's worth of planning goes into this multi-million $ valve project. In the past, in other locations along the pipeline, we've replaced a few valves similar to this one. Between quilting and work, it's never a dull moment around here... ;)

I thought I'd share a little of my world... :D:cool:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/worlds-toughest-fixes/3565/Overview

Originally posted by Sherri

Wow! I just watched the video......so very cool. It's pretty amazing, really - what all goes in to getting the job done.

Thanks for the link, Shana! Do you work for Alyeska?

Yes I do! Since 1994. I love it. I won't quit until they pry my withered old arthritic fingers off the keyboard and haul me away kicking and screaming to the old folks home. :P

Originally posted by Bonnie

Gene already had it TiVOed. Last night he was shaking his head at ICE ROAD TRUCKERS.....

LOL! :o:P I heard about that episode of ice road truckers -- weren't they driving the Alaska haul road?? Anyway not to spoil all the "drama" for you but some of this really is hyped up "hollywood drama" and normal folks like you wouldn't know it if you didn't work here and drive that road all of the time! :P (in other words, it's really not that bad!)

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Originally posted by Bonnie

Gene already had it TiVOed. Last night he was shaking his head at ICE ROAD TRUCKERS.....

LOL! :o:P I heard about that episode of ice road truckers -- weren't they driving the Alaska haul road?? Anyway not to spoil all the "drama" for you but some of this really is hyped up "hollywood drama" and normal folks like you wouldn't know it if you didn't work here and drive that road all of the time! :P (in other words, it's really not that bad!)

That's what had Gene off his chair....all the hype and stupid camera angles to make the "Haul" look like a inverted "S" road....

I know they call part of it the "Roller Coaster" but it doesn't go straight down and back onto itself and straight back up....the truck would get stuck in the bottom....:P:P:P

We have had family work the "Haul" and have pictures and IT'S no where near this bad...not much more than what we had in Montana on the icy gravel roads....

I know it sells TV, but man it so gives the wrong impression to those of us in the lower 48 that don't know any difference.

If he had his old "TV BRICK" it would have been thrown at the TV last night....he was almost to the point to turning it off.:P;):P

Originally posted by sandradarlington

Back in the mid 90's I was with a group and we drove from Anchorage to Prudhoe Bay, camping along the way. That was an experience. :) The Brooks range is so very beautiful - at least during the summer is was.

Wow, Sandra! That sounds like a great trip!

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Originally posted by Sherri

Wow! I just watched the video......so very cool. It's pretty amazing, really - what all goes in to getting the job done.

Thanks for the link, Shana! Do you work for Alyeska?

Yes I do! Since 1994. I love it. I won't quit until they pry my withered old arthritic fingers off the keyboard and haul me away kicking and screaming to the old folks home. :P

Shana...you are one lucky girl. You have a "real" job you love and a "fun" job you love...I'm so jealous!:D:D I keep telling myself that one day, I, too, will have a happy job:)

Hi Shana

Not sure if it will be on our Nat Geo the same time in the UK, but will have to look out for it.

Before my DH died he worked on the Oil/gas Pipelines in the middle east for over 25 years his last contract was on Sakhalin Island, Russia.

Shana very cool. I don't know if we'll get it here but it sure looks interesting. I'm sure my engineers at work would be really interested! I wonder if I could convince my boss that I need to come to Alaska for something related to our center. We specialize in automation so maybe...mmmmm I'll have to think about that one. I think it is great that you love your job so much. I can't wait for 8 years to pass so I can retire and I don't think they'll have to pry my fingers off the keyboard!

Archived