Quilt for Barbara Lee

Here is a quilt I just finished for my cousin. She has not been well lately, had surgery for her poor circulation (stents put in that caused a bad infection), is diabetic, has COPD, husband died, and she is only 65. I feel so bad because she is in Kentucky and I am in Pennsylvania, and I don't get to see her, although we do talk on the phone a lot.

Our grandmother was a wonderful hand quilter, and when my Mother passed away last November, Barbara Lee asked if I would give her one of my grandmother's quilts that my Mother had. Well...you know how families can be...there were no quilts to be found! I didn't even see any of them, except one my sister "grabbed." I don't know what happened to all the other ones (but I can take some good guesses).

Anyway, I told Barbara Lee that I wanted to make a quilt for her. I think I totally caught her off guard with that statement and she couldn't think if anything, other than her favorite color is pink. So..here is the pink quilt I just finished that I will be mailing to her. It is about 65" X 65". The backing is pink flannel and oh, so soft and cuddly.

post--13461902050709_thumb.jpg

Wow, Mary Beth, you are fast to reply!

Yes, she really does need a hug, and I know she will love this quilt because I made it for her. Even though she is 6 years older tham me, we were always very close, and she was probably closer to my Mother, than to her own Mother, who died about 10 years ago.

For now she will just get to look at it, and fondle it, as she was telling me how hot it is in Ashland just now. It's hot in Philly, too.

Sandy, after I read your story about your cousin and your grandmother's quilts gone missing (taken slyly by family members) the first thought I had when I saw the entire quilt with the design and colors, was "This looks like a replica that perhaps your grandmother might have made!" It's very "old fashioned/grandma" and filled with lots of love. May your Brenda Lee cuddle under this quilt and remember the love of grandmother, the love of mother, and the love of her very thoughtful and caring cousin, Sandy. :) You are an angel. (((hugs)))

Archived