weird happenings

My machine has lost its mind. REALLY.

I have been happily working on my quilt for the last three days, just taking my time and relaxing. Well, last night I started hearing the familiar pop,pop, pop so I knew it was time to change the needle. Took out the old needle and put in a new one.

Machine won't sew away from me or to the left. Okay, tried another needle. Same problem. Tried another needle, added a few curse words, same problem.

Gave up for the night and tried this morning. ANOTHER NEW NEEDLE, same problem. AARRRGGHH. getting aggravated.

Thought maybe some thread or lint had gotten caught in bobbin area. Took all that apart and cleaned and oiled it. SAME PROBLEM. Really p***** off at this point.

Thought maybe thread had looped around something or gotten caught up. Checked thread, everything is fine.

Tried a 3.5 needle, no change.

Gave up and put old dull needle back in. Machine is sewing like there was never a problem.

Any suggestions?? I can't use this same needle for eternity, can I?

NO, that was the last package I had. But I also tried that 3.5 and it was from a different package and it didn't work either. I'm perplexed on this one. I am going to try to finish the quilt with the needle in the machine (it is my quilt anyway) and order new needles from John. I will call Amy and see if she has any ideas.

• 1 month later...

Teresa,

It could also be that there's some lint or other gunk inside your needle bar - your old needle happened to go all the way up, but the others didn't? Best way to check that is to get down in front of the hook (no bobbin in), move the needle by hand to its lowest position, then see how much of the needle tip you can see below the rim of the hook assembly. You should see the eye of the needle and just the littlest bit of the needle shaft above the eye. If you're seeing more of the needle than that, you need to fix the needle bar height or clean out inside.

Let us know what you find,

Originally posted by Boni

It's that Full Moon thing again. (sorry, just had to do that):)

Honest to GOD Boni, I think it is. Two of my close long arm buddies have been having machine fits all weekend. One has an A1 that suddenly has been shredding her thread and the other with a Gammill and IQ that has also been giving her fits. I decided to not tempt fate and leave mine turned off. :P

Teresa,

Please let us know what Amy says!!! I think Boni and Gail may be right. I just happen to take the weekend off from quilting, but need to get a few done by Tuesday's guild meeting.

But seriously it,s so frustrating ! You can always drive down to Atlanta and use my machine!!! Then we could do a little shop hop!!! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Going thru something similar....last quilt..zipped along like the breeze..Same cone of thread, etc...all is the same. .Put in this one and it's loopy, loopy, skip, skip...etc...So I put in a new needle...adjusted the tension....4 times now I've done this...then shut the machine off...will try here in a few minutes and see if today is a better day.

When I was a kid, sewing on an old WHITE pedal machine...we used the needle until it broke...and that could be a very long time..never thought about a dull needle in the general scheme of things....

The wandering is the most frustrating part...cannot get the wheels adjusted so it'll steer right...feel like I'm driving a log truck.

Archived