quilt from ties

No, can't run. This will be for my best friend, made with her late husband's ties. Her daughter is making it and wanted help from me. Having never done one of them I didn't know what to tell her. She's alternating the blocks with cotton. Of course I will quilt it for her. It's one of those things that will mean a lot to the person receiving it. Glenda

I saw a real pretty quilt made of ties done in the Chinese Coins pattern. That would work great, use a muslin and just sew the ties on as strings, the muslin would help stabilize the ties without having to put iron on stabilizer on every tie. The finished quilt looked really good.

Terri S.

Karen Stone has a pattern called "Entitled" that uses ties.

She stabilizes the tie silks with a lightweight knit fusible....the store where I purchase it calls it "French Fuse".

The blocks are very much like a New York Beauty and are paper pieced.

Good Luck, and please show us pictures when you are finished.

I have made 5 quilts using ties and suits. Unfortunately I got locked in to a log cabin pattern. But to answer your question, I disassembled the ties (easier than you think) and pressed them to an iron on interfacing. You will find that they are probably all on the bias. I then cut them into straight of grain strips. The order I have now is definately specified to be a Dresden Plate, using the dress shirts as backing. I will still use the same method. I must tell you that the heavier ties Polyester and Wool fabrics will have to be stabilized a little differently.

Ginny Snowden

I'm so jealous. Way back about 10 years ago we threw out all my husbands old ties and my dad's. Oodles of 'em. I would have loved to make one of these. I've seen such awesome string quilts made from them as well as other designs. I just don't have the heart to go to resale shops and buy them. And, I'm not a garage saler....or maybe I will change. Good luck with the quilt.

AND....Don't throw away those little tags on the back of the ties. At the state fair last year I saw a tie quilt and the border had about about 2X4" blocks all the way around it and in the middle of each block was sewn one of those little tie labels. - You know, the label that holds the small end of the tie in place in back of the tie. The label was stitched just on each end - like it was when it was on the tie - it was a PERFECT border.

Angie - thanks for adding in about the label - great idea!@!!!

I am collecting from the Thrift stores, any silk paisley type of ties that I like... then I will be at it! I have a couple of the books mentioned above, but not the one shown by Kristina -LOVE that one too!!! I will click this post into my favorites for a reminder....

Thanks for starting it Glenda!! Hope the hand heals quickly!!

I'm SO ready for the hand to get better ! :mad: I've been 'down' for about 6 weeks now. Each day is a little better. The good thing is I can't do dishes !!! :P :P I asked the dr about that and he said '2 years '. I don't think that will fly though. But, rest assured I'll try. :cool: Glenda

My cousin made a wedding quilt for her new sister-in-law. She used neckties from her sister-in-law's late father and other men in from both families. She did it in a "bow tie" pattern and she embroidered the words, "Blessed be the ties that bind" at the top of the quilt. It came out very nice!

Archived