Have any of you ever.....

I have a round quilt I need to finish. I was planning to put small "sleeves" or loops on the back with the binding and run a piece of tubing (think plastic flexible, but like a hula hoop) through them. That would use tension to keep it round and they could hang it with something over the tube or loop. Maybe have fishing line in place to hold it up.

Have fun.

Isn't there some kind of stiffly woven "tape" that is used for boning in garment construction? It give shape to the bodice and top edge of a strapless formal dress. I wonder if you could stiffen the edge of the quilt with that so it would lay flat.

Any garment makers out there?

I have made 2 round quilts and one of them has the tubing in the binding and the other doesn't. I will post the pictures and you can tell see if you can tell the difference. My DH made the Quilt Hangers for me because you can't find hangers for round quilts.

So if any of you have round quilts and want to hang them all you have to do is call him and give him the diminsions and the kind of wood you want and he will make one to your specificatiions. They can be made a little different then mine also. So don't be affraid to tell him what you want. If you are interested I will give you his cell number when you contact me.

I'll go look for those pics right now.

Renae, those are great!!!!! You used a 9 degree or what to make those. I bought a huge 9 degree ruler but haven't used it yet. Was it a lot of trouble or easy? Was it fun? Oh, and did you piece your strips or buy stripped fabric? I think the lower one has the tubing. Am I right? Your husband really nailed it with his quilt hangers!!!

Linda Rech, you are a hoot, aren't you! Oh, how I'd love to meet the folks on this forum face to face.;););) Anyway, I'll bet timtex (sp) would help, huh?

Shana, I plan on entering it in our local show FIRST, see how it does and go from there.

The quilts do hang horrible at quilt shows. No one knows what to do with them. Pinning to the back drape helps, but they still want to curl in.

Using two layers of batting helps but it's not perfect.

I thought of having three sleeves on the back of the quilt and slipping in those adjustable small round curtain rods in each.

That bendable plastic sounds good too.

Quilt shows here still hang with pant hangers.

Here's the round quilt I did, and it was hung at a show pinned to the backwall drape and looked terrible. I have also put the loops around on the back and use flexible tubing when I want to hang.

Renae,

Love the wooden hangers your husband makes, might have to give him a call..but I have that round quilt for sale and not sure I want to spend that much time making another:o.

post--13461902246701_thumb.jpg

All of these are awesome quilts you ladies are just wonderful I love reading all your comments I can almost imagine your voices when I see your faces... thanks for all the great ideas and love those round quilt hangers myself gives me the go ahead for my own round quilt ideas my son did an art project before his accident and I have it on the wall and wanted to enlarge the design and make a quilt from it now I know I could actually hang it in the round.. thanks all..

Sylvia, You can use the boning to stiffen your quilt if you make narrow pockets on the backing to slide them into. Then they can be removed and rolled up with the quilt for shipping.

The1/2" vinyl tubing run through loops that are sewn around the binding/backing works very well. But, as Shana said, it could pose a shipping problem.

Ranae, thos e quilts are beautiful! Love the hangers too.

Ditto Hester.

Renae - I think the first one has the round support on it, other one doesn't. LOVE the hangers your husband made - beautiful!!

Love all of the quilts - very pretty!! Is there a source to get that plastic tent stuff that goes "bong" and opens up???

I would like to make a round quilt, I have that ruler too, and it would be nice to have the support system all figured out first and know what size would be best.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on my quilts and the one with the soft tubing is the bottom one. My husband thanks you also. He said if any of you would like to have one just like it or you want one similar or with your modifications he will be happy to make it for you. He will also need your quilt size. His cell number is........402-649-3977 and his name is Rick. He also has the Quilt tables he makes too and the one he is going to be posting is just Beautiful!!! I may not let him sell this one......:D

Archived