shower curtain

I'm quilting a pieced batik top and solid batik back which will be used as a shower curtain 70 X 87. The customer(a friend) didn't want batting but I'm not having very good luck getting the tension even. I think I need some type of batting to bury the stitches. I've read about Thermore batting, but do you have any other suggestions?? Does Quilters Dream have anything comparable to Thermore? Where can I find Thermore?? Joanns or Hancocks?? I was hoping to buy it locally. Thanks for your suggestions Michelle

My first thought was Thermore....as its a poly and was actually made for garment construction so the wet from the shower won't hurt it and it won't rot as fast as cotton....NOW with that said my next thought was the new GREEN batting from Dream cotton. Its actually made from recycled bottles so can we say plastic.... It quilts up nicely, but not sure I would want one of my snuggle quilts with plastic in it...but for this I think it would work GREAT.

Thermore actually can be bought in a number of places, I've seen it at Hancock's Fabric, JoAnn's, Michaels, and many many LQS's. To order you can get it from Hancock's of Paducah and I think Kingsmen may have it.

Take picture, this is something I have been tossing around for several years and haven't gotten around to remodeling my bath so haven't done one yet.

What about using fleece as the backer? I made a quilt (mine -- I was giving as a gift) recently that did not have any batting; just the batik top and the fleece backer. I did not have any tension problems. It looked nice and I liked the result. Fleece is kinda fleecy, right? Isn't fleece pretty much the same stuff that poly batting is made from except it's fleecy?? It would drape nicely quilted as a shower curtain. wouldn't it?

As for the flannel, I would definitely prewash it!!! It will definitely shrink and it will fluff up which in your case will be a good thing. I don't think it will fluff up like batting and be too fluffy, just give a little dimension and help with tension.

Shana's idea is good too I think. Fleece would be nice and give the batik some dimension too.

I was in a real panic a few years back getting a quilt done on a timeline and when I went looking for batting, the store (can't remember if Joanns or Hancock) was out of the size I needed and the clerk there suggested fleece. It made for a very warm quilt with great deminsion. It turned out a bit "stiffer" than I would have liked, but for a shower curtain, this may be a good thing. And this time of year, fleece is usually on sale!! Better yet!;)

Hummmm, I like Bonnie's idea of using the QD green. Fleece is good but if it gets wet it could be very heavy and take a long time to dry. I have some QD green if you want to try a sample. Michelle and I live about 2 blocks apart. Hey, have you thought about going to MQX, I'm getting the itch?

Archived