Tricky thread - driving me mad! SUCCESS see p.2

So this will be beacuse I decided to order the horizontal spool holder and gammill thread guide which I think will be useful anyway...

Poly Aurifil: I took off the spool cap from the bottom of the reel - DUH - I didn't know it was detachable! Running stitch threaded through the tension bar (which I fixed after giving it a turn, after taking off flywheel cover) instead of wrapping the thread in the usual way, used Bottom Line and a pigtail bobbin

Cotton mako 40: same thread top and bottom, threaded as above but not using pigtail

Cotton mako 50: as above!!

- and it all looked very nice

So - is it just behaving because I was not doing a real quilt? is it behaving because I bought new gadgets? will it behave the next time?!

Originally posted by hmerrill

Originally posted by doodlebug

i am so sorry everyone is having such a fit getting the juki needlebar thread guide (NBTG) onto their machines. davis helped me and i just asked him and he doesn't remember being to hard to get on....whatcha yall doin wrong? ;)

So do you and Davis want to come to NY?

Yeh Shannon...what Heidi said...only, do you 2 want to come to Nevada? I have one of these guides to install too. And I am scared after reading about everyone else's problems with it.

After reading this, I went home and starting working on sunbonnet witch wall hanging and the thread kept getting stuck and breaking the bobbin thread and binding up my machine. So I thought, someone said turn the spool upside down. I did it, it worked perfect. My husband asked why the spool was upside down and I told him worked better. He thinks I'm a genious. Don't tell him, okay?

I wish you girls would figure this out before my machine arrives. ;)

I have been using Aurifil successfully on my HQ16 for a year. It took a while to get the hang of it though. Part of the trick is to always use the same thread bottom and top. Unless I want to use a 28W or 12W, then I pair it with a 40W on the bottom. With the thicker threads, a couple drops of Sew Easy(silicon) on the first couple eyelets/thread guides prevents breakage . I also have to slow my quilting down to an almost uncomfortable speed. It's worth the extra time to achieve the look you get from the 12W. It's such gorgeous thread.

I hope these little tricks work on my millie as I love Aurifil to death. I guess I'll spend the first little while figuring it out. I'm excited to try none the less. I will use all the tips I've read here as well. Thanks for all the tips.

Caroline, instead of wrapping the thread through the little bar thing under the flywheel cover with the holes like in the manual, just thread it in and out like sewing. It will give a much looser tension.

However, I just did a YUCK quilt with King Tut top and bottom cos I don't have any Auriil apart from samples - it was pesky...and I had to keep tweaking the tension the whole time. I wouldn't normally use King Tut in the bobbin too but the awful backing (plasticky white on cream) just meant that top and bottom needed to match.

Then the cotton wadding/batting was so linty - when I was quilting it fluff kept bouncing everywhere, making my face itch!

I read the section in the manual on tension and Dawn's article in Quilt-talk. I slowed down, keep my movements smooth, didn't have an overtight sandwich etc but every now and then would get a little loop on the back so would loosen off the top tension more but then the top would be too loose!! :mad:

With a few inches yet to go I had used up all of the spool of King Tut so I switched to Rainbows just to get finished (it was not a special quilt and the customer was OK with that) and the Rainbows ran beautifully.

I think that Aurifil 50 should be nice to run. A bit like the weight of So Fine but in all sorts of colours and varieg. I need to get enough to give it a really good test.

So I'm still stumped as why some bits are fine then the tension just decides to go off or throw out a loop??

Archived