computer quilting/hand guided

The last quilt I was working on was another resque from ebay for me to PPP on.Doudle irish chain in red and off white. I will post pics soon. I have been struggling with the decision of weather to go computerized or not. Anyhoo the small squares did not always meet up and that gave me a thought. How many quilts have you seen that the piecing is perfect?. So how would you tell the program to compensate for the ill peicing. Hope I made that clear.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

Nora,

Quilt Studio is starting to deploy! Check with APQS as to how soon they might be installing in WA.

With Quilt Studio you could use a boundary to stitch an imperfect shape. Other computer systems must have something similar.

As for perfect piecing? My story is -- I haven't seen perfect this side of heaven, and I am sticking to it.

Victoria G

Hi Nora,

Don't know how Quilt Studio will handle, but IQ is easy. When you set up a new block or multiple blocks - whatever - you can either enter the exact measurements manually or for that all too common imperfect - mark/trace the block on the quilt. You move the machine to your starting point (without stitching) - click OK, move to the next point - click OK, etc. This is also good for applique work. It is very quick and easy.

Nora, the computerized long arm is where quilting is heading towards just like the progression of the TV over the years. When technology raises it to the next level the old way ends up obsolete at some point. (I know there is a lot of people on this board who are totally against the computerized machines and that is fine, their choice). But if you are considering it and if you can afford it then go for it. I am sure you will like it just as all of those that have it already and enjoy theirs.

I will stick my spoon in this pot a stir a bit---:D

The main reason most are hesitant to go CG is COST. If it didn't cost as much for the system as you paid for your machine, a lot would be jumping on that train in a heartbeat (save a place for me!!:P) What a great tool to have within reach--if you can justify it.

If you can't afford it, enjoy freehand, or are a panto Queen, you are allowed to not be interested and not covet a computer system. You can make money and do beautiful work without it. Or if you are a computer dud, like many, it might take a lot to convince you that you need one.

The other side--if you have a huge customer base and a system will allow you to quilt faster/better/prettier and make more $$ (and thus actually pay for itself) great, great, great!! Or if you have joint problems or problems standing, and a system will extend your years of creativity and fun--yes, yes, yes!

As for the "old way ending up obsolete"--nah. As long as there are used machines available for a good price, new stitchers will find them and stitch freehand to their hearts content.

I respectfully disagree until I throw myself on the train headed towards a CG system! (It could happen!):cool:

If you're a beginner longarmer and you use a computer the customers are wowed.

If you're an average quilter and you add a computer your customers think you have really improved and are wowed.

If you're a talented quilter and you use a computer the customer doesn't know the difference.

If you have a disability with your hands, feet, back, neck, etc. the computer makes your life much easier. You can do what you love with no wear and tear on your body.

Some people consider it cheating using a computer, but we all use domestic sewing machines and embroidery machines and longarms and those were considered cheating at one time I'm sure.

A computerized system isn't in my future as my budget is starting to run low after purchasing my used Millie and updating my garage just enough to make it a useful sewing room. My goal is to work from the front of the machine anyways and become "good" with that - whole cloth quilts. Everyone has their own goals and should pursue them whether it's a computerized system or not - life is too short so whatever makes you happy is right for you.

I still want to get the edgerider wheels but have been holding off on that (saved enough for those) because I'm afraid to put them on myself as I have no one here to help me. They sound really difficult to install and if I get them halfway on, then I have a machine that won't run. Why is it that everything good is always hard.....Mercedes

Hi Mercedes--Edgeriders are on my list as well. I live in Olympia and will have my engineer DH install them for me. You are welcome to come watch the installation. Ernie at Bayside does installation of the Edgeriders as well. He installed a set in Woodinville so I know he is willing to travel. My email address is below if you have questions.

Thank you JoAnn. Well said.

Both ways have good and bad & neither should be classified just because of the method used to quilt but rather the quality of the design and quilting. Each quilt should be judged on it's own merits/pitfalls and not because someone does free-motion, Circle Lord, Computer system,etc., or a mixture of all methods.

This topic has been discussed many times on this forum and it always goes back to the same opinions: some people are dead set against, some wish they could have and some do have. Each person has a right to their own opinions on this topic & we should respect those opinions. We should also respect the fact that most people who spend their money for these machines and what ever accessories they have added to their systems are trying the best they can & hopefully loving it. We are not equally gifted when it comes to Longarming and though someone may enter a quilt that is not very good - maybe it is the best they can do and are proud of their work. Please respect that they are trying.

I'll jump in here too, as I have aired my opinion before. I recently (July 8) had the IQ installed. It cost $11,950 and includes Edgerider wheels. I am getting old and have had feet problems for a while so this seemed like a good time for me. I have looked at the IQ for 2 years.

Before I gotthe IQ, I learned to quilt freehand and I still quilt freehand. It is my first love. I also still use stencils, chalk, and Marvy markers to do some of my work. I love the digitized patterns, some are way more intricate than I can quilt on my own. I see both sides. And I try to always remember to tell folks who did what to whom. I think that some of the designs are not always easy to determine the designer on for digitized. But I think the people that make the designs, whether panto, stencil or digitized deserve our respect.

Computers are for everybody. For me, I can tell if a quilt was done with a computer almost as easily as I can tell if it was done with a machine or by hand. LOL.

I have a computer but I still plan to quilt from my head to my hands as long as my feet will hold me up.

Oh, and Linda, I have to tell you that computerized quilting is not always faster, on no. It stitches out a block faster than I can but not a feather border freehand - I am way faster than computer. It can SID way faster than I can but not always as accurate. As always, it depends on the pressing.

I think that there is a place for all of us and our individual talents.

Archived