Help- quilt made from dog/horse show ribbons

My sister in law would like a quilt made out of 4-H and regular show ribbons from her dogs and horses. Has anyone done this? Any ideas to share? I was thinking maybe Crazy Quilt Block design? Does anyone know of any patterns out there!!!

Jane Brown

Country Quilts N Crafts

Randolph, WI

That is a neat idea for a quilt/wall hanging. I beleive most ribbons are made of nylon and don't have a lot of give. I would consider using the ribbons as a 3-D applique'. Also you could add in dog and horse appliques', or even add in a photo or two. Good Luck and be sure to post pictures of what you come up with.

If you google ribbon quilts there are quite a few sites out there on how to make them or just people who make them for a living. My Niece rides and has a boatload of ribbons, my sis asked me about making a quilt out of them and I declined. It looks too much like work and there really isn't much you can do with it...in my opinion.

I saw one at a quilt show in Iowa last Sept. (local style show at the Downs). I had blocks with the ribbons side by side, 3 or 4 on a block, the next block was the same but the ribbons ran sideways. The sashings may have had ribbons on them too. I will try to find the picture later tonight. It was a pretty quilt, very colorful.

That quilt in the photo is stunning!! See if someone else can piece it--then you can quilt it!

It looks like all SID. Maybe the easiest way for that one would be sew-and-flip on the batting/backing squares so it would be quilted as-you-go. Then add the black sashing. There is a lot of hand-stitching with that technique, but the fussy nylon would be hard to control any other way.

Or as someone else mentioned, strip sewn onto a muslin foundation ala crazy patch.

Beautiful quilt - love the idea..... now I need to get a few more ribbons (like 100 or so!!)...a quilt made out of all "Quilt Show" Ribbons would be awesome!!!!

Anyone have too many or extra ribbons they want to get rid of??!?!?? ;)

Seriously though - a friend of mine showed me a quilt that her husbands grandma started with all of their show ribbons (horses and pigs) that was up in the attic. I just wanted to cry when I saw the rusty pins stuck here and there..... would like to finish it for her... I suggested it and she said "but what would I do with it then??" There are some very old ribbons, some from the early 1930's - wish I could look at it again..... I think I will try and talk to her about it.

This one was being put together in almost a crazy quilt fashion with muslin backing. It would make an awesome wall hanging!!!

Archived