thread prblems

It was supposed to be an easy project - meandering on a baby quilt. But the top thread was way to obvious on the bottom quilt piece - it was showing too much - since I am a newbie at this I am not quite sure what to do to fix this. My class did not show me much on fixing tensions, etc. I have quilted four other quilts on the machine and did not have this problem. Sometimes the top thread looked loose on the top for a couple of stitches. But it was the stitching on the bottom and it was the top thread that kept showing - three or four large stitches. Help! I tore the stitches out and they came out easily.

Hi Linda

It could be that your top tension is too loose (or your bobbin is too tight) the easiest tension to adjust is the top tension, try tightening it a little (left loose - right tight), adjust it in small increments and see if the result improves. Matching the weight of the top thread to the weight of the bottom thread may help too if you are using different threads top and bottom. I hope this helps. - Your manual should have advice on bobbin tension. I do adjust mine but I know some people don't like to - see what the experts say here and then decide whether to do it.

Judy

Linda,

This is how I do my tension. First I fix the bobbin tension where I want it. I keep mine looser. I hold the bobbin case in my hand and pull up on the thread tail. It should just lift up the bobbin case but not lift it off your hand. Next I loosen the top tension and begin stitching You stitches on top will look ugly. I tighten 1 turn at at time until it is close. Then once I get it close I tweak it by 1/4 turn at a time. This takes a little time but I find that I get the best tension. Give it a try and see what happens. If your top thread looks loose on top and is showing on the bottom then tighten the upper tension.

• 1 month later...

I have a new problem...my thread keeps breaking on top...the bobbin thread showing on top...I just changed my needle and trying to adjust the eye to be straight in front...but it works a bit better when the eye is a bit on the right...but the thread still breaks 2 minutes later....there is no place around my house that gives courses on longarm...I don''t know anyone that has one that could help....it's a tin lizzie 18 and I'm getting very frustrated...and I want to finish this project so I can start my other one.....this one was just a practice project which is getting to be a nightmare...HELP ANYONE!!!!!:(

Sounds like you need to loosen your top tension. You may also need to loosen your bottom tension. Make sure the needle is inserted all the way up and that the indent is at the back. If anything, the eye should be a little to the left (not the right) - say 25 to the hour if looking at it as though it was the minute hand on a clock.

Don't despair, I think everyone has gone through this. You will find your happy place! You will find your happy place... You will find your happy place... :):)

Archived