Casters for Millie?

Since my Millie will be on a concrete floor, I'm considering casters so that I can move him up against the wall when I'm not using him. For those of you that have casters...where'd you get 'em?? Also, do they cause any problems with movement when you're quilting? Mel will be on concrete, if that makes a difference.

Dory:

I got mine from APQS with my machine. I push the panto side to the wall when I am cutting and piecing large quilts. It is easy for me to push it out of the way, and I don't even have to lock the wheels when I'm quilting. I have a commercial vinyl floor and haven't had any trouble with it shifting when I am quilting. Lots of luck on your new set-up in your yurt. Your view looks fantastic!!

Vickie Oliver

Beachside Quilter

APQS Rep SW FL

I originally thought I would put casters on my table, ordered them and decided that they would raise the table too high for me to use comfortably. I'm 5'4" tall and have the table just sitting on the floor. We decided if we need to move it that it wouldn't take a lot of effort and furniture sliders would be better for me than the casters, however I have a wood floor and yours will be concrete so don't know how the sliders will work for you. You must be excited to have the yurt finished so you can move into it!

Its not done yet, Carmen, but we're close! My ultimate goal is to have the casters and hydraulic lift by the time we move in. I really can't move Mel too far out of the way since the building is round, but I can move him over enough to make room for myself and friends to all sew together occasionally. (Good thing I don't have too many friends!:D)

I don't know how this might be on concrete, but I have "sliders" under my Millie's feet. The floor is a laminate and it slides easily when I want to move it, but doesn't move unless I really push it. Much less expensive and you can buy them at Home Depot or Lowes. Just another idea;)

Originally posted by DoryJM

I really can't move Mel too far out of the way since the building is round, but I can move him over enough to make room for myself and friends to all sew together occasionally. (Good thing I don't have too many friends!:D)

You are so funny! You have lots of friends. We just don't live close enough to invade the yurt everyday...oh wait, we will invade the yurt daily if your computer gets moved in there too!! :P

Hi Sharon and Dory,

Sharon I'm pretty sure I mentioned to you that casters would not work on a frame with a hydraulic lift. I got that info from APQS...the hydraulic lifts fit right onto the legs of the table. Caster do add height to the table. I have the lift on my table and I have furniture sliders underneath the lift legs and I can move my 14' frame no problem.... however it is not on concrete, my flooring is ugly old no pile carpet. By the way, you can buy casters at any home improvement store that will work on the frame if you do want casters.

Dory, put a call into Amy or Christy and ask if they have come up with different brackets or something that you can add casters if you have the lift also.

Cheers, Nadia

I am on a cement floor in my basement. I bought mine at Lowe's. Home Depot didn't have what I wanted. I haven't had to move my Millie around the basement, but I can if I want to without disassembling it first.

It would be really easy to push it to the other side of the basement by myself, if ever necessary. :P

Thanks Nadia, I knew I heard that somewhere! Won't be needing the casters myself.... (Millie isn't going anywhere), but thought maybe someone could shed some light on that for Dory and save her the trouble of ordering and sending back.... what a great forum for little bits of detail like this!

I love my APQS castors, my room is very squiggy and with the castors I can move the frame in any direction. The castors lock and keep the machine where you put it. I have to move it if I want to change from quilting front or back. I have to move it if I have the Circle Lord on so I don’t stab anyone who comes through the door. Actually I have to move it a lot. I have a floor which is partly wood and partly compressed concrete sheeting. I have covered it with a synthetic tiles from Belgium which lock together like a jigsaw puzzle, they are made out of some recycled material. They are easy to clean and they look smart. They have some give in them and they feel great under foot.

Archived