How do you quilt the long boards smoothly?

I just got 2 R&S boards for no-brainers and to show nervous beginners how they can get started... one is big spirals.

I used the rear mounted stylus from the Quiltazoid and made sure the stylus was settled into the groove. Every now and the the stylus would pop up and out of the groove so I had to drive the machine head along holding the stylus. I also thought that some of the spirals looked a bit wobbly on solid black fabric in neon pink!

If I was a beginner I expect I would be quite pleased with my efforts but I'm looking for really SMOOTH spirals.

Should I get the R&S stylus? Is there a secret knack to it??

I want people coming to me for tuition to be impressed!

It sounds like you may need to adjust (lower) the stylus a little to keep it in the grooves better. I haven't tried the Quiltazoid stylus on the back of my machine because I already have the R&S / Quilt-EZ stylus back there. That stylus has a spring to keep a little pressure downwards on the boards.

As far as getting smooth lines goes, there is a little play in the grooves. That is, the grooves are slightly wider than the stylus. As you move through the pattern, try keeping the stylus hugged up against one edge of the groove. Also, make sure the stylus doesn't have too much wobble in it. Again, I'm not sure the Quiltazoid stylus in the back. I've only used it on the front.

I have used one of the giant boards for a "no-brainer" too--and my brain was tired by the time I was finished!!! My stylus would pop out too--and I had the correct one for the brand of board--so I came to the conclusion that my table must dip a little bit between the support tubes--or my boards do--as I bought them second hand. If I put a little extra rubber mat in the dippy areas it worked much better--but my brain was still tired by the time I was finished--and I haven't dared try again!!

I don't comletely tighten the stylus and I guide the machine with the stylus. I hold very light pressure to on side or the other. I have to slow down when I change directions or I bounce and get wobbles. Before I tried to guide it by the machine and occasionally the stylus would come out of the slot. I have a different brand machine but it gets the same results.

Linzi,

Thank you for the change of name.

I can see you understand.

Cheers,

MIchael

Hi,

I just want to state that Loricles/Circlelord has been using the term "Giant Templates" to denote its line of long interlocked templates.

I know that there isn't any copyright issue, but since, we have used the term for 6 years in our advertising and literature, I wouldn't want anyone to infer that there is a problem with tracking in the Circlelord "Giant Templates" and stylus system.

Thank you,

Michael

Loricles

Hi Kristina! I see what you mean about the mixing bowl... I think there are maybe tiny variations in the plexiglass table that make the stylus jump out. I can do it fine holding the stylus but want to get it perfect for absolute beginners who come for tuition. I'll get the shorter stylus arm - as Holly says = less play...

Hi Linzi

I have both CL boards and R n S boards, and have not had the stylus jump out, well not yet anyways:D I understand what Kristina was saying too.

Also I dont stand totally behind the machine, I stand to one side and only use the handle on the side where the stylus is. My biggest problem is that sometimes I find myself going back the wrong way :P

Thanks everyone! It really isn't all that bad, actually... I just want to get it super right before I demo it and your tips have helped make it all clear. I decided to get the little stylus because then I can just leave it on and the bracket shouldn't add any extra weight when I want to fill in with the odd freehand twiddle!

Hi,

Set the stylus on the frame/table top and not on top of the boards. After you set the stylus, lift the stylus point up and insert in the board grove. This will give it enough pressure so as not to jump out of the groves. Hope this helps.

Pat

Georgia Gal

The EZ Quilt website has a little video about setting the depth of the stylus. Something like this- set the stylus in the groove, then before you tighten the screw push it down into the groove about 1/2" - mine is set like this and I don't have a popping out problem?! Practice makes the lines smoother.

My opinion?

Archived