Need ideas, star quilt finished

I showed the center of this awhile ago asking for border ideas. Heidi gave me wonderful inspiration and ideas. I just finished this at a quilting retreat last weekend. Now I need to quilt it. It is 105 square. I will be using George, so it will be custom work. The hope is to have it all done by the 25th so delivery is made by the bride's parents, not the PO system.

Thanks for the help.

post--13461902854756_thumb.jpg

Wow!! That is a beautiful quilt top - can't wait to see what you do for the quilting... please be sure to post finished photos too. Love the colors!

I can see quilting something with the diamond shapes in the outer blue border.... but I think it needs some nice swirly-curvey things going on too, perhaps for the background. There are so many angles and sharp lines with the piecing.

Glad you have such great helpers to hold the quilt for you..... looks like a log cabin / loft in the background.... is that where your retreat was??? Sounds great!!!

Thanks, someone posted a picture of a similar star on here with either feathers in each star point or in side to side curves going from center to tip.

Judi, the retreat was at Ironwood Springs Christian Ranch outside of Stewartville, (SE MN, below Rochester). The lodge was completely donated built by many contributors and all rooms are handicapped accessible. We had the full main floor room with tables for machines and then another bunch of us in the second floor loft. My machine was right behind me, right hand corner. Want to come for the next one, Feb. 5,6, & 7?

Beautifully pieced quilt top!

One idea for the tan area would be to quilt lines radiating from the central star, from both the outer tips and the inner corners, out to the outer star and then continuing from the points of the outer star to the inner border. Fill in each area with alternating texture fills. This would accentuate the floating appearance of the stars.

I think beautifully pieced stars such as those deserve to be stitched in the ditch. An alternative to filling them with feathers is to do wavy lines from base to point, ending in a ribbon furl. Karen McTavish has some interesting ways to fill stars in her book, The Secrets of Elemental Quilting.

Archived