Question about applique product

Recently, my friend and I read about a new product for appliqueing pieces onto your background. It is a liquid (in a bottle like Fray Check, I think) that is applied to the back of the applique piece, then the piece is pressed onto a silicone pressing sheet, which spreads the "glue" around and dries it. You then take this piece and iron it onto your background, and applique using your favorite method (hand or machine.) The glue washes away when the piece is laundered, so it doesn't leave any stiffness,or create any problems with quilting through it like fusible web can. It is not Liquid Thread, which stays through laundering. Does anyone else know what this product is, where to get it, or where you saw it? We have both looked through all our recent magazines, and can't find where we saw it. We didn't find anything on a google search, either.

Thanks.

I haven't every used Liquid Stitch because it's permanent. However, I have used Elmer's School Glue and the glue stick that's in a yellow tube. Both of these hold the fabric in place until you're finished and then wash away. I think there's also a product called Roxanne's Basting Glue or something like that. It comes with a fine point. Also, Sharon Schamber has something similar on her website store.

Originally posted by MtnBarb

I haven't every used Liquid Stitch because it's permanent. However, I have used Elmer's School Glue and the glue stick that's in a yellow tube. Both of these hold the fabric in place until you're finished and then wash away. I think there's also a product called Roxanne's Basting Glue or something like that. It comes with a fine point. Also, Sharon Schamber has something similar on her website store.

I'm with you on that Barb...its to thick and its permanent...I also use the Elmer's School Glue or stick....Also love Roxanne's Basting Glue...washes out perfectly.

So is this what they were talking about or is there a totally new product out there?

I took a Sharon Schamber workshop several years ago and have used her method ever since. She uses Elmer's WASHABLE School glue as previously mentioned. Sharon sells a soluble stabilizer. The applique shape is traced onto the stabilizer, several layers can be stapled together so it is possible to make multiple leaves, flower petals, etc., with one tracing. It is then glued onto the applique fabric and pressed with a hot iron. The edges are turned and glued and ironed, it is then glued to the background and ironed before being sewn in place. Sharon uses Liquid Stitch sometimes on the points of leaves so there is no fraying, unlike the glue sticks it does not wash out. When the quilt is finished and washed the stabilizer pretty much disappears. Something that she did say is to make sure that the Elmer's glue sticks are made in China and not Canada. The ones made in Canada are made of thicker glue and it doesn't seem to spread as well on fabric. It always amuses me to go into Walmart and search for something that is made in China rather than the other way around. Sharon uses the Elmer's in the bottle for her Piec-lique technique. She has some really neat ideas that I really enjoy.

Sue

Yes, we have both used the school glue, but it is rather sticky. This stuff works just like fusible web, but you can control where it is spread, so if you wanted to do needle turn applique, you could keep it away from your edge and still have the piece adhere firmly to your background while you applique without pins or basting. Then, you can just wash it out and not have any stiffness in your applique piece. I might have thought I had dreamed it, but she mentioned it to me exactly as I had remembered reading about it. If I ever figure out what the stuff is, I'll let you all know. Thanks for trying!

I do lots of raw edge applique with the cutaway of the fusible.. so I only have fusible UNDER the stitches unless it's a tiny piece.

In the original post it described spreading the product all over the back of the applique... you now have no turned under edges so you are doing raw edge.. is that right?

I'll ask around and see if anyone has heard of it.

No, you really don't spread it out all over the back, just maybe a line around the edge, about 1/2 inch in on the back so it doesn't interfere with any of your stitching, but stays in place. It isn't really intended for raw edge applique specifically, although I suppose you could use it for that. Yes, I've done the window thing with the fusible web, but this just seemed easy and worth a try.

So it is confirmed, Copperhead626. We are suffering from mass delusions! Glad you remember seeing it, too, though. I will keep looking, and also check out Roxanne's basting glue.

Thanks all.

I posted to my over 2,000 facebook quilters and got this response

"I took a class at Market called Unconvential Threads in a Conventional World hosted by Presenica Threads. In the class we used a product called Liquid Thread. All the fabrics we used were prewashed to remove sizing. We used a dry iron on cotton setting. We applied a thin line of slightly diluted Liquid Thread to the wrong side of the fabric and allowed it to air dry It is suggested that you allow 10 minutes to dry so pieces can be reposiitoned without smearing glue. We then positioned the items to be bonded and cover with a press cloth to avoid scorching. We ironed for 30 - 50 seconds or until glue changes from white to clear.

The product is from Signature Crafts...1-800-865-7238

www.beaconcreates.com... I was pleased with this product. It did not gum up the needle and wasn't as sticky or gummy like other products I have used."

Note - http://www.beaconadhesives.com/cgliq-thread.html This is PERMANENT after you iron it... per their website and what she did was rawedge applique.

Guess what, I glued a quilt that I was making, all these circles I did not want to hand stitch on. 86 8" circles. Then I used my LA to wiggle stitch around the edges when it was loaded. I did not buy any fancy products - just watered down Elmers Schoolhouse Washable Glue by about 30% and applied with a paint brush. Worked wonderful. And it washes out. Since I watered down the glue it was not stiff and the circles stayed on since I set it with a hot dry iron. Love it for raw edge applique without the need for fusible web.

Lynn,

This product, Perfect Sew sounds somewhat similar to what you described( http://palmerpletsch.com/underc.htm.) It is a wash away stabilizer and it does say on the bottle that it can be used as a temporary adhesive for applique. I had forgotten that I had bought this when I was in Oregon a few weeks ago and just found it while looking for something else this morning. It is a liquid but the instructions don't mention using a pressing sheet. I bought mine at the Fabric Depot in Portland www.fabricdepot.com.

Sue

Archived