Zippers or Sharon Schamber velcro leaders?

I saw the Sharon Schamber video quite awhile ago on how to make velcro leaders.... looks like a good idea and makes some sense...but I am having trouble deciding between that and the zippers. Has anyone tried making the velcro leaders? and do you like them? I know you all love your zippers.... but could the velcro be better? She explains that you could move the velcro leaders off center every once in awhile to avoid always stretching the canvas leaders in the same place.... just curious what you all think!

Thanks!

thanks Heidi, and good point Holly... I never thought of pinning to the zippers off center. Duh! Makes my decision much easier. I think I'll go with the zippers....in the long run I think it will be cheaper than buying all that velcro and canvas.... and easier too! thanks again!

I am having sooooo much fun! I just need a few more hours in the day so I can do more. And Christmas is creeping up so quickly, but no snow and it's really warm here, so it's hard to get in the Christmas spirit. I've got a cute little Christmas quilt for my grandson on the go and his first Christmas stocking too.

Sounds like you're enjoying your machine as well! What's not to love, right?!!

Oh yes Linda! I love love love my Millie! but you are right again! not enough hours in the day! I have only finished three so far, and have about 8 more tops ready... also including one for my brand new baby grandson....that will be his Christmas present too! I just can't decide how I want to quilt it! It has a great big applique bear, and I'm still afraid of going to the front of the machine! :P ....post pics of your grandbaby's quilt when you are done???;);):)

I agree with the ease of resetting the quilt when using zippers. I haven't used the velcro because of the reasons you all have stated.

I started using zips because I got tired of sticking myself and my arthritic hands would ache after pinning 90+ pins in each leader.

I always sew or chainstitch my zippers on the top and backing. It's much quicker than pinning and no bleeding involved! If I sew them on I use lightweight Superior water soluble basting thread in the bobbin. Just a quick spritz of water and the top thread picks right off! This isn't my original idea..forgot where I heard it but it works great.

Archived