hundreds of starts and stops

I have a customer quilt coming this week that is going to be raffled off and they want me to quilt it in such a way that I will have literally hundreds of starts and stops. I can't imagine knotting and burrying. My plan is to secure the starting point with a couple of up and downs and then when I come back to that same point to end, just take six or seven tiny stitches right over top of the first ones and then one back stitch. Do you think that will do the trick? I'm sure not looking forward to the slowness of this one.

Jessica

Jessica,

Your method would work fine. One time saver is not to clip the threads between each motif, but to 'drag' (or just pull the machine over to the next spot and start quilting again). Clip the dragged threads before advancing to the next row, or else the bottom of your machine will get caught on the bobbin threads. Good luck -- it sounds like people are noticing your work!

I agree that slippery threads are more trouble.... I just do like Dawn C. taught in her class..... if I am not going to Knot & bury I always tug on the thread tails (one at a time) to make sure they are secure, it does take more time at each start, when you know your thread, though you will get a feeling for what you need to do. Good luck!!!

Would love to see a photo when you finish please .... sounds like a bunch of work!

I only use slippery threads and they do come apart and the kind of quilting I do I have massive starts and stops. However, I read here, about putting a dab of fray check at the starts and stops. My bottle from using it on point shoes is dried up so I haven't personally tried it but will on my next quilt. Just an option to consider.

Melora

I use slippery threads often. When I don't feel like tieing and burying (which is what I normally do--I am a tie and bury girl), for this task, at the start (and at the end) what I do is take about 7-8 teeny weeny tiny stitches right next to eachother (not on top of eachother--that causes a knot) and I make these little stitches fill about 1/4" of space and there is no way that thread is gonna come undone. I bring the bottom thread to the top and snip off.

But if you want to get really good at knotting and burying, you can do that, too. Good practice and a good habit, too! :)

Jessica,

I use my thread cutter to cut the bottom pull on top thread and bobbin thread will pull right up use my needle to pull it all the way up. Next I take both the bobbin and top thread form a loop and move the loop down with the tip of my needle to almost the surface of the fabric. Next I use my easy thread needles and bury bringing the needle back up about 1 - 2 inches away. I give a pull and bury the knot and trim the thread tails. Takes about a minute from start to finish.

Archived