froggin and wasting time I don't have!

I'm so not happy. I had a very small lap quilt and it should have been done in 2 hours. Well I was on the last of 3 passes and rolled only to see eyelashes sporadically in my quilting! I've been froggin for more than 2 hours now and still not close to being done! I'm so ticked off. I think there was probably a piece of lint or something. I have not had time to quilt and have 3 customers to get done. I have one that I need to have done by Wed. I'll end up taking the rest of tonight to frog this one and then re-quilting it. Oh it has been a horrible day. Mom is on her warpath too and I just needed to whine! Thanks for letting me vent! Back to froggin I go!

Hi! I do it that way too except I only pull back the top, not the batting as well, I have never cut a hole in a top (touch wood!) but have made a tiny hole in the backing once (on my own quilt thank goodness!).

I have the same blue handled blade she has, they are Havel's brand and Hancocks of Paducah sell them for about $3, I usually buy a couple each time they have free shipping as I tend to loose them, they are so sharp you almost only need to threaten the stitches with it and they break in fright! :)

Susan

It's Wine time, notice the "h" is missing? lol. It seems to be the day. I opened a package today from a good customer and found the backing askew by 3 inches and short on one side by 6". And on another Quilt she pieced the flannel backing in a million pieces and everything is stretched to high heaven. So i called her and told her it is my way or the highway, i.e, buy my widebacks, as I don't have time to fool and fiddle with this stuff. I have asked her repeatedly and still she gives me this @#$(*&^.

So Heidi, lets have that 'Wine" and have a good laugh.

OK girls Monika has it right wine and whine! I just got done. I need a massage. What a PITA that is. There were places where the tension was so good and it was hard to get in to clip the thread. I use a blade similar to the surgical looking blade system. I still have to take my time, especially because this is not my quilt. This was this customers first quilt and she did a really good job. Hubby looked at it and couldn't tell there was a problem and asked if the customer would know. Well I sure would know and wouldn't let a quilt go out like that. Tomorrow I'll clean the machine and throw out that bobbin. Not sure what the problem is but I clearly don't have time for it! I have to get all the threads off now. Hopefully I'll have this one quilted tomorrow night. Looks like I've got late nights planned for Tues. & Wed. to get the next quilt done. I think I need more wine! Thanks for the Whine party girls!

Glad the video has been helpful :) I don't know how to combine them though... I created it for the some new HQ users who were sure doing a lot of ripping, bless their hearts!

I can't say it's only them though :o I did have to use it myself to rip a lap quilt full of tiny 14 SPI feather flurries yesterday...and it only took about 25 minutes. I hate to admit it, but I got really fast after awhile ;)

I do lift up the batting because I find I'm less likely to cut into the top this way - the batting cushions/protects the top from the blade. I'd rather sacrifice a backing than a top, if I had a choice. And guess what?...it only took one lesson!

Debbie in Austin

My whine! Just finished a customer quilt. Yellow backing, no extra on the sides, 2 inches each end, some of the quilting already done. Had to "add" lots of quilting (after removing "most" of her quilting. I tried to get yer to thread match the backing fabric but she insisted on DARK PLUM. Ordinarily, I wouldn't have minded, except for the fact that there is a lot of areas of crosshatching with over 500 starts and stops. Of course, she wanted a REALLY GOOD price of less than $80 for the job. RIGHT!

The front looks great. All the starts and stops are hidden, but the back.............I can't disguise them at all. Even going with small stitches on top of the same line shows the thicker thread. I will not do 500 tie-offs for $80. I hope she's happy with it, I'm certainly not. I will never let anyone talk me into this again. If it were mine, I would rip out all the crosshatching and redo with the proper thread color for the back so it wouldn't show!

OKAY! Thanks for listening. I feel better now!!! It's just too early for wine!

Whine away!!! I don't ever start & stop for my cross-hatching. I would never get done. I always travel in the ditch. I do normally use thin thread like SoFine or Bottom Line though and it really doesn't show too badly. Some customers are just a PITA! Really makes you appreciate those that are so appreciative!

I figured out my problem too. My thread had slipped of the L guide in the thread path. Not good. Quilt is done and the next one started. I'm ready to be done with my customers for the holidays. I have one more to do and I'll be done until Jan.

Originally posted by SheriB

Good for you Heidi.

I'd love to be able to do mine right now, but as the time of year has it...and as usual, it's not going to happen before Christmas.

Sheri - I wish I were done for the whole month of Dec. This is just a part-time job for me and with my full-time job plus the holidays, plus my niece I just can't fit it all in. I need to get my next quilt on and done by the end of Feb. as well. It will be published in Irena Bloom's next book. There just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day or night!

Archived