Visiting New Orleans from Australia

Hi everyone

In February Steve (DH) and I are joining the APQS family for the annual get together in Des Moines and Carroll, then we plan to take holiday in New Orleans.

We've never visited New Orleans before although its been somewhere we have always wanted to experience, so are asking for your advice on where to stay and what to do. What internet sites offer the best deals on accom? We thought the French Quarter sounded like the place to be.

Hope you can all let us know your favourite places to eat, shop and sleep and enjoy the music

We will be arriving around 18th February.

Thanks

sue in australia

Sue, I can send you more info later but it depends on your budget as to where you stay. If you want to experience real New Orleans charm I would suggest The Roosevelt on Barronne (pronounced bahhh like a sheep and Rome but with a N) LOL --- anyway it has just been reopened. The hotel was completed renovated in a style back fro its glory days! It hosts the famous Blue Room where many celebrities performed.

I just hosted a group of 50 to New Orleans for a day (my 13th year to do this) and we had lunch at the Roosevelt. I was quite impressed with the hotel and the service.

Even if you do not stay there it is worth a visit. Enter the lobby on the Barronne Street side and you can walk to the other side of the block through the lobby. It is simple beautiful. The hotel also offers a very nice gift shop with lots of New Orleans themed items.

There is so much to do in the city despite the fact that it is still recovering from Katrina. There are still entire neighborhoods that are abandoned. There are also parts of the city to avoid because of safety.

Let me know and I can get together some more info for you. I especially like visiting the old churches and the graveyards.

Sandra

We go to NO a couple of times a year and stay several days each time. My favorite thing to do is just take a walking tour or sit in the square and watch all the people. One thing for sure, park your car and take the trolley cars (my son used to call it the jolly cars). Make sure to visit the historical section and the park and zoo are wonderful. Also the campuses of Tulane and Loyola are beautiful. If you really want to get to know the bayou, take a back water tour. Their “ghosts” tour is also fun. It’s a tourist thing but fun. Be sure to eat at Brennans, and The Court of Two Sisters. If you want to dress up one night be sure to visit Galitorie’s (Gal–a–twa) on Burbon. (Michele Galitorie was one of my sorority sisters a long time ago.) Have a Hurricane at Pat O’Brians and enjoy all the jazz music and Cajun atmosphere – gumbo, and local seafood – yum! Another really fun thing is to take a river boat dinner cruise; perhaps ride on the Delta Queen. The food is great and you get to ride the Mighty Muddy Mississippi that Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn enjoyed. I noticed you are going in Feb. Be careful or you’ll hit during Mardi Gras. The city is always really dirty after Mardi Gras and a bit dead during lent. Going before Mardi Gras would be your best bet. Make your reservations early or there won’t be a room. Have fun in N. O. Everyone always does!!!!

Hi Sylivia and Sandra

Thank you for those ideas, they all sound so much fun. I'll have to check the dates for Mardi Gras and maybe give that a miss there sounds like so many other things to do, eat and see in N.O. We are getting very excited about our trip. We plan to stay for a week but it sounds like that won't be long enough!

Thanks for your suggestions and if you think of anything else we should see or do, please let us know. We are searching the internet for info but getting from people who live there or have been there is so much better.

Best wishes

sue in australia

I love NO!!! The graveyards and vodoo history are sooooo interesting. You just have to take the walking tours, they're the best. What's those doughnut things called, Benyas (can't spell) they are the best!!! I've been there before and during Mardi Gras. Before Mardi Gras was best because nothing was crowded and we could walk and see the sights easily. If you don't like major crowds (can't walk without bumping shoulders), lots of nudity, and drunks don't go during the celebration. The parades and beads were fantastic but for me not worth the major drunk crowds.

NO is a beautiful woman. A bit fiesty, loving and always surprising! I lived there & the surrounding area for 40 years! I can recommend a tour of one of the plantation homes. There are several within a 50 mile radius of NO. Take a ride on the St. Charles streetcar through the Garden District. You'll see so many beautiful homes; some of which will remind you of the ghost and vampire movies!! Do you have several months to visit? lol There is so much to see and do just in the city itself.

Mardi Gras is early this year -- Feb. 16 -- so you will miss that & it will be quieter but that's OK. I went last Spring, around easter time & stayed at the Monteleone, was very happy with it. I also used to live there, & I think they are doing a good job of fixing things up. Have a great time.

i spent my birthday in nola 2 years ago...my birthdate is jan. 29th... we were there for a few of the pre-mardi gras parades but not on fat tuesday (i think that's the big day?)... we had so much fun! i was glad we got to see some of the parades, but not when all the craziness was going on... have fun... you'll love it! AND i had the best jambalaya there!

Thanks Catherine for the hotel suggestion.

Thanks everyone else for the info, its great to have people who have been there recommending the best tourist sites and what to do. We'll only have a week to 10 days there and already I know we need a lot longer, if only to check out the different foods!

Very excited

Sue in australia

Foods!! Now you'll need a large handbag to take home leftovers!! (Or ship them to me!!)

Jambalaya

Boiled, fried, sauted Shrimp

Boiled Crabs

Ettoufe

Po-Boy Sandwiches

Muffalato's

Crawfish

Gumbo (all kinds)

Fish

Enough, I'm getting hungry!! I really miss my former cajun mother-in-law's cooking!!!

Archived