More Decisions CircleLord Quiltazoid

Mercedes

Well I made the mistake of looking at the Quiltazoid videos after deciding I was going to purchase the CircleLord. Now I'm totally back to deciding between the two. The Quiltazoid looks much easier to setup and use from the front although I know the CircleLord can be used from the front, it appears the setup is harder because you have to manually tape things in place.

I'm so confused. Has anyone used both CircleLord and Quiltazoid and can you provide feedback on what you like about each and what you'd like to see improved on each. Maybe this will help me decide.

Not sure why this is becoming such a hard decision but since it has I might as well try to sort through it.

Thanks in advance. Mercedes

I read the thread and printed out the pertinent information. Hopefully I can go through all this and come up with any additional questions. It's really hard to choose when you can't see these accessories work in person. That's the down side of buying items like this - I like to be able to try them out, ask questions, see how well made they are. Trying to gleen all this information from a video or pictures is impossible.

On the positive side, I'm going to order four more edgerider wheels for my Mille. It had four on it when I purchased it and I can tell the difference so need to get all eight up and running. They won't be in until after the new year but that's oK - maybe by then my decision will be made on the CircleLord / Quiltazoid. Mercedes

I wish I lived close to one of the big shows so that I could go - darn it! I'm in the Seattle, Wa area and there's not much here except for Innovations which these vendors don't attend. Maybe someday they'll be a bigger show closer to my area. I don't fly and am not much on driving too far so my possibilities are limitied. I can only wish....Mercedes

Monika (quiltlover03) has both the CL and QZ. Send her an email maybe and see what she has to say.

modenkra@gmail.com

Hope this helps. I love my QZ and have never seen the CL other than on a DVD and on this forum. I made the choice to stick with QZ after being a tester for it. Adam and Linda were very open to ideas and are terrific to work with. :)

mercedes - if you think of it - let me know what you decide and how you like it. i am trying to decide on one myself. i think i am leaning towards the qz. seems like they are comparable and qz is cheaper. plus i like using it from the front. i know i will like that better. ;)

Hi Meg,

I am leaning towards the QZ also but have a few more questions for the QA users. Here goes:

1. The QZ says you can use other templates like CL with it - has anyone tried this and if so how did it work. This would certainly widen the number of designs that could be created it you can use other templates besides teh qz templates.

2. Does the stylus attach to the Millenium with existing holes, in other words I don't have to drill anything - correct?

3. It states with the QZ, I don't have to lift the wheels - correct?

4. The Stitch Regulator and bobbin winder on the machine won't need to be removed for the stylus or QZ to work - correct?

5. I believe it stated that the QZ boards are only 2ft long - so do you just quilt 2 ft then move the unused board to the next spot for quilting - how does this work?

6. Does the QZ stylus work on the CL boards?

7. How do you lineup the center of the templates on a quilt block - do you use your needle for place or??

8. Since the QZ is locked on the front of the machine how do you reach your quilt blocks on the other side of the quilt - do you have to continuously unclamp the QZ and move it so it reaches to those blocks?

9. The arm of the QZ appears to rest on one of the leaders - anyone having problems with dirt/metal coming off on your leaders where it's resting?

10. I didn't see where you can purchase a design booklet or anything like that - is there a pattern book or something that comes with it?

11. I only found 2 QZ videos on youtube - are there others somewhere else I can watch?

12. Here's the big question - what should a Newbie purchase along with the base until - which templates, boards, etc?

13. And what should I have asked that I didn't?:)

Thanks! Mercedes

I will try my best to answer all of your questions. Here goes:

1. Yes, you can use the CL and RnS and Quilt EZ boards. Works like a charm.

2. Yes, the stylus attaches to existing holes. NO Drilling. (What year is your Millie?) MIne is a 2005 and I didn't have to drill anything.

3. I did not have to lift the wheels. There is plenty of adjustment in the QZ mount. I have the Edgerider wheels though and they already made the machine sit 1/4" higher.

4. The SR does NOT need to be removed. If you can send me a picture of how the bobbin winder is on your machine...I can tell you if it will need to be removed. I do NOT believe so however. It seems like someone on this forum has an onboard bobbin winder still attached.

5. The boards are 2' long. Buy them in a set of 2 and leapfrog the other board. Works like a charm.

6. Yes, the QZ stylus fits the CL boards.

7. There is a centering tool that comes with the QZ. You need to find the center of the block and place your needle in the quilt. It is very simple to use.

8. The QZ is attached to the machine head via an arm. When you are finished stitching a block design, simply loosen the clamp holding the QZ to the bars...and the QZ slides along with the machine. Easier to do than to explain!

9. I have NEVER had any problem with the QZ resting on my leaders. No dirt, wear, etc.

10. A design booklet comes with the purchase of the QZ.

11. ADam has 2 Youtube videos I believe...and also includes a DVD with purchase.

12. I would start with the QZ and the crosshatch template. I use that all the time. You can do circles, concentric circles, eccentric circles, baptist fans, clamshells and spirographs with the QZ unit.

13. Ask Adam how fast the QZ system can arrive at your doorstep! I also recommend checking out the Gallery pages of the website. This might spark some more interest.

These are good questions Mercedes, and i hope that what I have said makes sense.

Kristina, Thank you so much for answering all these questions. I have viewed the Youtube DVD's and requested the demo DVD from Adam. I can hardly wait to get it.

I have a 2005 Millie and will be ordering the edgerider wheels after christmas also - so they will be on soon. That is, of course, if I can get them installed.

I'll try to get a picture of my bobbin winder and send it to you but if you have the 2005 Mille, your's must have it on it also?

Thanks Mercedes

Kristina did a great job of answering all your questions pretty much the same answers I would have given you.

As far as the tracing templates go--I believe if you order before 12/31/09 you will receive the crosshatching template free

--so then if you were to consider another template I would choose the "Feathers and such" if feathered wreaths are hard for you--there is also the eight pointed star in several sizes and a petal flower on that template

--or if you want to do spirographs--use them as a motif in a block and then put a frame around them I would choose the "Little bit of everything" template

--or if you like to do a lot of QOV work--then I would choose the "Stars and such" or the "Diamonds and such".

So deciding what tracing templates you want to purchase pretty much depends on what type of quilting you like to do.

You are welcome to ask any more questions.

Funny you should mention those templates - I've been looking at the Feathers and the Little Bit of Everything - they look like they would be used a lot.

I'm assuming that making up your own designs is going to be easily done - would just need to remember how you did them for repeat patterns.

I didn't ask this before, but is there any oiling or any maintenance with the QZ to keep it in good working condition?

Thanks....Mercedes

If I remeber right--on the DVD he mentions a very occasional wipe down with an Amor All type product--which I should maybe do someday!!

And yes--the sky is the limit with your imagination on the motifs that you can make--I want to get a white paint marker and label all the lines with the size pattern they make--just haven't done that yet. Then you would also be able to repeat the motifs nicely.

I still have the onboard bobbin winder on my machine (it's a 2005 I got in 2006) and it does not interfere with the QZ. Those were great questions, Mercedes, and you received some excellent answers from Kristina and Terri. I love my Quiltazoid! It makes me look like a better quilter than I am with its preciseness and designs!;)

Originally posted by Mercedes

I didn't ask this before, but is there any oiling or any maintenance with the QZ to keep it in good working condition?

Thanks....Mercedes

I just wipe mine down too with a little armor all from time to time. AND, I store the small parts in a plastic shoebox so that they are always dust-free and on-hand.

Let us know what you think after watching the DVD from Adam. ;)

You won't need it for the CL and I doubt for the QZ either. But they are nice to have. I have a set that are, as yet, not installed. I need to take care of that soon.

And by the way, I love the CL and dealing with Michael and Kay, but I'm prejudiced, because that's what I have.

The QZ owners all seem to be satisfied too, so just keep checking them both out and you'll love what you get.

This is a big decision, and we do love our toys. It is true, before you make a decesion on anything that has a big price tag, you should check on all of your choices. Make sure you are getting exactly what you need or want.

When I first started quilting I didn't try out the tools I purchased. I paid way too much for it, then couldn't use it. I ended up selling it and getting a tool that I could use, that I love to use. My choice was the Circle Lord and I'm glad I did choose it. I love the way it looks on a quilt and it makes me look good.

Georgene is right we are satisfied with our CL's and the QZ gals are satisfies with the QZ, but you need to try before you buy.

Mercedes,

Sorry I have been busy baking and baking and baking. Finally done! My feet hurt. I took the day off tomorrow just so I can get a few other things done. I'm so not ready for Christmas!

I have the QZ and just absolutely love it! It is super easy to use and set up from the front. I can't say enough good about Adam and Linda and their desire to provide great customer service. I really like the spriograph more than I thought I would. I love that you don't have to step anything. You set up the design gear and then just crank the handle and go. Easy, peasy as Shana would say. Looks like Terry & Kristina have given you excellent advice! You are wise to really get as much information as you can about a big buy like this. I will say that I don't think the QZ would disappoint you!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am affiliated with the Loricles - very closely.

Circlelord products have been used for 8 years, by thousands of long and short arm quilters, around the world. We plan to be around many more years. We have had 7 more years to provide Circlelords and templates for APQS, Gammill, A1, Kennquilt, Nolting, Prodigy, Proto, HQ16, Innova, and Tin Lizzie.

We have 50 templates, both Giant and block sized, with instructions sheets and manuals, for all.

The APQS Circlelord has a front stylus system that has 2 positions, one for 12 inch templates, and the other for 18 inch templates. Both, the back and front Stylus, are "lift and hold". They are both attached with bolts and screws that do not have to be removed. The CL stylus can be lifted out and set aside until needed again.

Stepping templates that fit on the Circlelord use our patented

fingertip "lift and turn" system. Our Centerfinder is patented also.

Our giant templates are in 3 easily jigsaw connected sections.

Lightweight, and durable. Repititon of our complex patterns determine the length of each section.

Yes, we use tape and cardboard to make the Front Circlelord system work better. Just as in the back, you have, complete up and down. and back and forth. flexibility in positioning the template, you also have that in the front. Sometimes tape is used in the space program too.

Gammill has had the Design Center Spirograph out for years.

Go to Google and look for work done with it. The Spirograph seems to bring back childhood memories.

Does any other supplier have a 30 day money back warranty for any reason. We have had 5 returns in 8 years. 2 were for financial reasons long after the 30 days.

Who else will give a 12 month payment plan for a $3000. 00 sale going to Australia, with only one month payment made at the time of shipping.

You do not have to raise the APQS carriage for the front stylus,

but if you want to use non slip mat under the template on the back, it is better. All our Millie customers have done it without problem or stress.

We believe, that if you look closely, you will see that our products have the value to deserve their price. Both our products and our customer service can make your quilting business a success.

Look at the experience. Look at the evidence. The Circlelord is and open book. We show work done, and the time to do it. We show pictures of our products with close ups. Where else can you find over 40 descriptive product websites and almost a thousand pictures of quilts.

You deserve the Circlelord, the Imagination Machine.

Cheers,

Michael and Kay

Archived