Snow in Nebraska-giant drift

Woke up this am and the furnace wasn't running-had to have DBIL come over and look at it. Runs sometimes and not others. The wind is making it too hard for the furnace to get enough intake air. Hope every one is snug and warm, with their families and having a good Christmas day!

post--13461903043382_thumb.jpg

Wow Julie, for the first time in my life we are experiencing much the same kind of I'm ready for some tropical breezes. I'm really sorry to hear your heat is not working...we have the fireplace fired up and it is nice and cozy here....the most fun of the day has been watching people try to get a run at the hill in front of out house. Why are people out in this? Oh, and we did lose our mailbox today when a man in a pickup backed into it trying to make at run at the hill. I guess because we were all watching out the windows, when DH when out to help, a long line of curse words a mile long came out of his mouth....DH said that he said, "And a Merry Christmas to you too!" :D

We are getting a rainy/icy mix tonight into tomorrow but today was clear and my furnace is working. I had the oil company come 6 times and it would run for a cycle and then stop. Or it would run for a couple of days and stop again. My friend Paul came and he fixed it. Air was in the line and when the furnace shut off air would block the oil from going in from the oild tank. I smelled like heating oil for a while but I am warm and that's all that matters.

Charlotte

Come on out Heidi, I have alot of White Christmas at our house. Complete with a SUV (not ours) stuck in the street next to our house. The drift between us and the neighbors reaches almost 3/4 up the side of his house. The wind is blowing so hard it looks like our flag pole will snap any minute. The dog looks at us when we put her ourside like we have lost our minds!!! They have now closed most of the interstate. This is the first time in about 16 years that we did not make it to our MOL for Christmas Eve. I'm hoping that the drift will be able to melt before next spring!!! The good news is we still have heat so far..... Sorry to hear about yours Julie:(:(:( Merrry White CRRRistmas everyone.....

Well, we had white out conditions here, but we had power the whole time!!! Yea!!! If I have power it is all good, the guys got the furnace going good now, the wind was so strong the furnace couldn't get enough fresh air intake! They put a carcoard box with one open end on the roof and put a cinder block to hold it there! It worked! Drifts over my 4' fence out back-the dogs could just walk over the fence but I think they want to stay where it is warm too. Finally got internet back today so everything is good! No family Christmas this year, my brother came from Dallas and we got my Mom here Wednesday before everything started so that is good, my sis and bil come over and we make fudge and rice crispie treats, brother brought four huge containers of chex mix, all that along with good food and I think I will have gained 10 pounds before I get out of the house!

Take care everyone!

WOW! The Christmas Blizzard of 2009. Here in western Nebraska it is pretty bad - most roads have been closed, snow is still really drifting but think it is no longer coming down - at least not in our yard! Which is pretty much closed by 5-6 foot drifts. Was a quiet Christmas yesterday - no one could even imagine getting here. But Christmas can wait as long as everyone is safe. And we are just on the edge of the storm according to the weatherman. It does sound much worse further east in Ne. Everyone stay safe!

Patsy

We broke a Christmas day snow record held since 1895 or something like that. It has continued to snow off and on all day today. Ick! It is very pretty to look out the window. And I am making sure the bird feeder is full, so at least I can watch the birds. And then there is that hill in front of our house...that has provided many hours of fun watching people trying to drive up it. Even the guy that took out our mailbox was back again today...just trying to prove to himself that he could do it, I guess...I have lots of pictures of him....sideways :D

Well, we had plenty of snow last weekend, only 18" but that was a record for this part of VA...took 3 days for the plows to finally come through. Wouldn't have minded being homebound except that it was the last weekend to shop before Christmas...but we did have lots of rain today and enough has melted that we are down to roads and seeing some grass again today...

I know, I know, no pity from you girls who really have snow!

Sheri-it took me a wile to see what you saw but I finally do! How funny! My Texas nephews went out in the snow tonight and actually walked over my fence in the backyard-Guess I'll have to sovel so the dogs don't get adventurous and escape!

Here is another picture taken just down the block from my house-----

post--13461903045692_thumb.jpg

post--13461903045899_thumb.jpg

Archived