question for Quiltazoid owners

I got a Quiltazoid for Christmas (yes, he is a very good husband!). I have been playing with it a little as time allows.

Two questions. How do you lock the thread at the beginning and end of each circle or motif. The only way I can get the stitches "locked" is to knot and bury the threads because the machine is in the way for any other method. Even that is a challenge when doing the spiros.

Second, do you leave the mounting bracket attached to your machine or do you take it on and off each time? (After completing a session using Quiltazoid I mean.)

So far, it is very easy to use. I have not tried the nested spiros yet. I was mainly interested in making the circles and using crosshatch templates, but I can see the spiros are going to be handier than I had thought.

Lynn,

congrats on your new toy. You will love it! You can do your thread either by starting with little stitches, stitch a little and clip your thread. Then when you end just do your little stitches again and clip. Once you get to the end you can either rotate the tool to get to the thread easily or disengage the machine. I prefer to knot and bury so I start by bringing my bobbin thread up to the top just like you would with any other quilt. Hold onto the top and bobbin thread and stitch about an inch. Then continue around. I end in the first stitch, bring my bobbin thread up, knot and then bury.

I leave the mounting bracket on if I'm going to go back to the QZ. If I'm done with it for a while I normally take it off but if it isn't in your way you can just leave it on.

Hi Mercedes,

I knot and bury my thread tails too and I use a straight needle with a large eye, I think it is a darning needle and I buy them at local sewing/quilting shops. I have attached a sticky back magnetic strip to my Millie head and I keep the needle on my machine at all times.

I think some people use the self threading needles too, however I have never been able to get them to work for me.

Cheers,

Nadia

Mercedes,

I use mostly self-threading needles. I have some from John James that I got from a LQS and I like them for thicker theads. Sometimes the thinner threads slide out before I can bury them. In that case I use a larger eyed needle or a needle threade threaded through a needle eye. I put the thread tails in either the eye of the needle or the needle thread and pull the thread at least 2" away from the hole. Pop the knots through and then trim the thread.

So I'm wondering if using a metal strip as a magnet attached to the machine head will cause problems. I have been told by dealers never to use magnets near or on my embroidery machine - maybe because it is computerized BUT is it OK to use magnetic strips on the APQS machine head? Thanks...Mercedes

hi lynn -

i'm so glad you posted about this. i just got my freedom in november and am itching to get some accessory that will make good circles. i really want to get something but am afraid to do so since i am so new. dont want to make a mistake...

anyway, i have never seen either the QZ or circle lord in person.

have you tried the circle lord?

i am wondering how difficult it is to set up the qz?

and is it user-friendly? (i'm not the most mechanically inclined person nor is my hubby)

i just added a permanent base extender for ruler work - will i have to remove that to use QZ?

any info would be much appreciated. i have been hounding mercedes to see if she has received hers yet.

and, yes, he is a very good husband.

mercedes, i use self threading needles to bury threads. threading needles is a problem for me as i have a pretty bad (at times) hand tremor. these work like a charm for me!

anyone - is there a qz or circle lord anywhere near syracuse that i could look at in person?

thanks you guys are the best!

Mercedes....our longam machines are not computerized, that is why it is okay to put a magnetic strip on them. Magnetic strips cause alot of havoc to computerized machines, such as sewing, embroidery etc. Also, our machine heads are aluminum, so a plain magnet will not stay attached.... that's why having a sticky back on the magnet is necessary. Now...if you have a computerized system as part of your machine head, I would check with the home office of your copmputer system to verfiy if a magnetic strip is okay on the head.

Meg, I believe Heidi who posts regularily here lives somewhere near NY and she has a Quiltazoid...I bet she can help you out....I see (after reading the above posts) Heidi posted just above here...

Cheers,

Nadia

Heidi Lives somewhere just outside Albany. I don't know if she'd want me to post the town on open chat. Will let her do it if she wants... Oh I see it is listed under her avatar, and it's Clifton Park.

I'm going to save for two things. The QZ and then I know of a computer set up that just plugs into the apqs, so does NOT break the warranty. I'm aiming for that, too. Between the two and what I can do freehand, I should be well set to do just about anything.

GL on getting the info. The video on QZ site only gives a slight peek at what it can do. and you can also checik out the CL, I believe they have a demo video also.. but not sure.

Congrats on your wonderful Christmas gift and GL on having a ball with it.

RitaR

hi heidi -

i may take you up on that. i have a sister who lives in dorset, vt and we have met in albany area, saratoga actually, for the day before. maybe i could set up seeing her and checking out the qz on the same day. if she cant do it - i'm sure there are some quilt shops along the way that i could check out. i'll check the calendar when i get back from vaca and send you a message about that. thanks for the offer. it will really help my decision if i can actually see it in use.

lynn, have fun with the new toy!

:)

Meg, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Heidi face to face but she and Kristina were instrumental in my decision to buy the Quiltazoid. You should definitely take her up on her offer.

I have a permanent extended base on my machine too and it does not interfere with the QZ at all. The QZ was much easier to install than the extended base. There's really only one small piece with two screws that is "permanently" attached to the machine. I don't bother removing it when I'm not using the QZ because it really doesn't seem to be in my way.

I use a "self-threading" needle to bury my threads. They're notched at the end and you just pop the threads into the eye. I would spend twice as long trying to thread the needle with a regular (even with a big eye) needle. They're a little hard to find, but well worth the effort.

I've been playing with my Quitazoid and love it! My 12 yr. old daughter just finished quilting her quilt with the swirls board. It looks great! I leave the brackets on all the time. They don't seem to get in my way.

Originally posted by meg

hi heidi -

i may take you up on that. i have a sister who lives in dorset, vt and we have met in albany area, saratoga actually, for the day before. maybe i could set up seeing her and checking out the qz on the same day. if she cant do it - i'm sure there are some quilt shops along the way that i could check out. i'll check the calendar when i get back from vaca and send you a message about that. thanks for the offer. it will really help my decision if i can actually see it in use.

lynn, have fun with the new toy!

:)

Meg sure that would work. I work M-TH outside of the home. I work at home on Friday's and I'm usually around on Sat. & Sun. Anytime would be fine.

I love my quiltazoid.

Archived