hello from upstate NY

rooee

G'day

My name is Robbie and I have just ordered a Gammill Premium Plus after much researching. I hope you don't mind me joining in here, I feel like a renegade! I have looked at several forums for LAQ's and have to say that you all are the most friendly and informative bunch......yes I have been lurking for a while now.

My hub and I moved with his job to this part of the country a year ago and I worked in a quilt shop down the mountain from me in the spring, summer and fall of last year. I played on a viking long arm there and was hooked! Winter came and I realised that driving for this expat Aussie was going to be hard through the winter months so I left my job, winterized my little car and set about researching LA's and drawing up a business plan.

I had previously quilted for years using my Janome 6500 and even though my shoulders, arms and hands ached a lot, I have thoroughly enjoyed the free motion quilting aspect best out of the whole process of making a quilt! Anyway, here I am and hope to get to know you all (if you will have me) and learn lots along the way. I hope to start quilting for customers by May 1. If that isn't being too ambitious!

Would love to know others thoughts on this.

Cheers, Robbie

Welcom Robbie

Congratulations on your new machine and your new career!! You are more than welcome here as is anyone who wishes to come and join regardless of the machines that they have. We are all of one accord as quilters!!

Where do you call upstate NY, I also have lived in upstate NY, but from the sounds of coming down the mountain, it doesnt sound like the area I was from. We used to live in Potsdam which is way, way, way upstate, only about 20 miles from the Canadian border. some people call Buffalo upstate as well, and it is the upstate of their part of NY, however NY reaches much higher at the tippy top! There are several others here from NY as well. Glad to have you aboard and I hope you are enjoying your new machine.

Welcome Robbie

As you said, you find this site a friendly one with lots of good tips, advice, and great information about all things quilty. I do too and that's why I'm here as well. It starts out as a great quilt site and ends up a whole bunch of good friends who are like family. We also love pictures, so be sure and post when you finish some quilts. We love to see what everyone is doing. :cool:

Robbie,

Welcome to the forum. I live in Clifton Park, NY about 15 min. north of Albany. If you are ever in the area give a yell. Bonnie lives about an hour south of me. I keep saying we need to get a group together but just don't have the time to organize anything. There are a lot of longarmers in this area. Just remember there is a learning curve and everybody's is a little different. I started doing customers about 3 months after I got my longarm. I keep my business very small because I still work full-time. Right now I'm working on a show quilt so I'm happy things are slow. I do have a customer custom quilt to get loaded this afternoon though. Off to quilt. I hope you will be happy with your new machine and that you bond quickly! I highly recommend that you go to MQX and take some classes. Great place for supplies too.

You are all so very nice! Thank you one and all for the welcome. I know where Syracuse is but haven't been there yet. I have been to Clifton Park though, nice area! hmmm Watertown, I will have to look that one up.

The countryside is just beautiful up here and I feel truly blessed that this is where we have ended up. Thank you also for your encouragement and yes I do realize that my plans may not come to fruition as soon as I wish but I am a patient girl. :P

Hi Robbie,

I am pretty new too, and these guys are all so experienced and helpful, this forum is a really great source of information. I am sure I have only scratched the surface since getting my APQS Lenni at the end of December !

Again welcome.

Janette:)

Archived