machine just quit.

skrat

As I was sewing in stitch regulated mode, this brand new millenium just stopped stitching. The needle up/down will work, the channel locks work, and the thread cutter works, but I can't turn on the stitch regulator. When I hit the clutch and stitch regulator button it beeps but as soon as I let go of the buttons it stops. It also will not sew in manual mode. What is wrong? And of course, it is a weekend, so no APQS service until Monday. Help!!!!!

Hi Shannon,

I know you're frustrated, and these things always seem to happen on the weekend. I went through a very frustrating time with my machine this week. It kept blowing the motor fuse and doing really odd things. I had just gotten the machine back from APQS after having QuiltGlide installed and also had a new CompuQuilter installed 2 days later.

After explaining the "symptoms" to Mike, the problem turned out to be a motor mount washer that had dropped down onto the circuit board underneath the machine and it was shorting out. Back and forth shipping is sometimes hard on a machine and the box was pretty banged up when I got the machine back.

So I removed the washer, got all the parts back in place, put in another new fuse and stitched about 4 seconds before the fuse blew again! After talking to Mike at APQS for the second time, we discovered that I was using the wrong fuse! DUH! It's marked right below the fuse holder what fuse to use, but of course I didn't read that.

Once I got the right size fuse in, everything was fine and at the end of 2 days of frustration I didn't want to hear the word screw for a long time. I was just glad I'd bought a little electric screw driver at Costco a couple of weeks earlier! It sure got put to good use!

I would suggest you just relax for the weekend, read some more in your manual, and call APQS first thing Monday morning. They're masters at fixing things over the phone, and you'll be a lot more familiar with your machine when it's done. You might want to familiarize yourself with the actual names of some of the machine parts so you can communicate well with Amy, Christie, Mark or Mike.

Good luck. This too shall pass! ;)

I have checked everything that I know to check and also some of the things you all have mentioned here.

barbm- It has the same symptoms from both the back and the front.

Heidi- I checked all the connections first. That's what I thought it might be. Unplugged them and plugged them all back in, still the same issue.

Myrna- not sure what switch you are referring to, but if you mean the handles, no it won't work from front or back.

Georgene- yes, turned it off, left it off for 30 minutes, even unplugged it, didn't change a thing. And I have no problems moving the machine around, it just won't sew.

Thank you ladies for all your input. You just never know when you might miss something very simple, but as of yet, nothing is working. The only thing that I have not done was changed the fuse, but I figure since part of the machine is working that it is not the fuse.

I pray it's an easy fix Shannon. Ours has been running pretty well lately.. we had a lot of bumps after Himself dug into it without asking or saying anything. You might consider calling John Mitchell, he's one smart cookie, and has I'm sure, helped fix a whole lot more machines than they have sold.

I'm going to try a small quilt today, and I have about 8 to bind, scraps to find, press, cut, anyway, feeling good, and keep exercising, whichever one I can for what I'm doing at that time, sitting or standing..

RitaR

Shannon...this may sound strange...but is it possible that when you hold the control switch and the sr switch to turn on the sr...that you immediately are hitting another button? by doing so, it causes the machine to 'kil'l the previous action started. it may be something that you are not aware of and are doing subconsciously as you are new to this machine. :)

Archived