Backer problem

I have a HUGE backer purchased by a customer from the LQS to match her equally HUGE quilt top. She dropped it off last month with the backer still folded and in the bag. I flop it out to measure before loading yesterday--it's big-110" X 136"--and right smack in the center is a big ol' tear shaped like a long "U". It's an inch wide and three inches long. And obviously it happened at the factory. The fabric was cut off the bolt at the shop without being unfolded and the creases in the fabric perfectly match across the torn fabric.

Here was the way my mind worked--(my customer is out of town until the first of March)--

I can take it back to the shop for replacement (without a receipt)

If they aren't happy to replace it--even if they still have the fabric in-house and there is enough to use--what would you suggest as a win-win for my customer?

I can't (won't) mend it--it's a batik and the torn area is frayed. I can't (won't) patch it--not sure if there is enough fabric. Because it is a wide back, I may need all of it to square it up before loading.

I offered to trim out the center section edge to edge just enough to remove the hole, and then seam the pieces together--again, not sure if there is enough fabric left to do this. Also, my time needs to be accounted for. The seam I will sew will run along the 136" to save the most fabric I can. And the reason she bought a wide backer was so there wouldn't be a seam on the back.

This one is throwing me--she still wants it done this month and wants me to "do what I think best". Arrrggghhh!

Best for me would be for her to deal with this when she gets back! Ah well--thanks for letting me vent. Guess I better make a decision and get going.

What a bummer!! Well, what the heck--- why don't you "try" going to the LQS and bring the fabric in with you and explain. Perhaps it will be a slam dunk with them and they won't hesitate to replace the piece for another one. The LQS can deal directly with the distributor to replace it. Regardless, it's not your customer's fault. So... give that a try. If they balk at that solution, ask for a piece large enough to applique a patch over it, or cut out the section and seam it. Well, think on it for a while and the right solution will bubble up. I would try to see if the LQS will make good on this first.

Linda,

Come on girlfriend use your charm :P:P:P:P. I'd call the LQS and explain the problem. That would save you the time of going there. If they don't/aren't willing to replace it I'd call the customer and tell her she has the option to order a new backing from one of the online wide back sources, have you piece it and pray there is enough room or put a patch. Maybe the LQS will surprise you and say, "Sure." Good luck!

You could also have the customer call the shop to make arrangements for a new backing to be given to you. Then the price is on the customer and LQS agreement and you are just the middle person. If that doesn't work, then she can order one from the online source and have it shipped to you. Or she can wait to get it finished when she is back and can do the running herself. Afterall, if you need to run to get anything for the fix, there will be a charge.

Originally posted by doodlebug

linda- i think that's the universe's way of telling you that would be a perfect place for a little applique flower...

yup :P *giggle*

i'd just applquie something over it and call it a day...

Maybe that is a good place for the label. There are no rules relating to where the label goes, shape or size. :P

You are all so great!

I did contact my customer--golfing in California--well, her DH is golfing and she is shopping/piecing. Sounds like a dream vacation to me!

Her only suggestion was to take it back to the LQS and see what happens. I don't have her receipt, but she says they know her there. Unfortunately, she purchased the backer several months ago. I guess I will give them a visit and see what happens. If they won't replace it, or don't have the exact fabric, I think I will wait until she gets home and let her do the repair/legwork.

Shannon!! You are brilliant (and bratty!), but she will be doing the applique if it comes to that!:P

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

Hey BRAT...what's that stand for again? Brilliant Redneck Awesome Talent??

That only fits the one and only Doodlebug I know!! :cool:

i'm still a little ashamed of the 'T' (it sounds so conceded)...but it was the only adjective i could come up with off the top of my head that started with T and made sense :P...if i knew my words would be immortalized i would of thought about it more....*shrug* too late now... (thanks again dennis, i really do love it!)

linda- i feel pretty sure this will work itself all out and you'll laugh at your 'piglet' moment....

Hey Doodlebug--the "T" matches you to a...well..."T" :P:cool::P

Update-just got home from the LQS.

They very delicately stepped around the issue.

"Are you sure she bought it here? I don't recognize it."

"How do you know it was sold in this condition?"

"We don't have anything similar in stock."

"Do you have a receipt?"

All valid issues except my customer buys ALL her fabric there, goes every Wednesday to a sew-in, has filled in as a temp occasionally, and all the employees there are members of our guild. Poo!

So--it will sit in its bag until she gets back. Better for her to fight the battle with them than me!;)

Thanks for the support--that's why I love this place!

That's terrible.

How shortsighted of them.

I understand that its a tough business and its hard to make a decent living at it, but really?

The cost of eating that loss, compared to losing a steady customer, student and employee.

Not to mention this woman talking about it all over town.

Bad business.

Stupid.

Oh well.

Their loss, not your problem.

Sheesh!

That was very short sighted of the LQS. They have put their service to customer reputation at risk. I had a similar problem but the rip was such that I could put it at the bottom of the quilt and guess where I put the label. It was my quilt so I didn't have to worry about it being a customer's quilt. I did talk to the LQS after I had totally finished the quilt. They were upset it had happened but were happy I was able to deal with it without a problem. I would have taken the fabric back to them but I knew I had gotten the last of the bolt.

Pamela

Thanks for your input and support. I reminded the LQS employee that the piece if fabric was 136" long. With the tear removed, they would end up with two pieces of fabric measuring about 110" X 65" or so. Still sell-able as yardage, or some could be used in kits. So they wouldn't need to eat a huge loss and could still keep a regular happy. My friend will be handling this situation from now on. Unfortunately it bumps her out of line and I am scrambling to find a spot for her next month.

BTW--I bought backing fabric (regular 45" wide) there yesterday for eventual use on a tapestry quilt for my son. He picked one out at www.trippystore.com

(love the site name!) and he is in line for a mom quilt in April! So I am keeping friendly relations at the LQS.

Archived