No new mistakes?

When I started piecing, about 18 months ago, I stabbed myself with a pin and bleed all over the pale lilac fabric in my first quilt top. At the time my sister told me “There are no new mistakes”.

Yesterday, I loaded the third quilt since I got Millicent. Today I was happily quilting along, thinking that this was getting easier and I was getting some more confidence. Nice. :) So then, as the end is literally in sight, I realize I cut my backing 3” shorter than the top.

New mistake?

Luckily, my Granddaughter, who turns two on Wed. will never know the borders were originally 6” not 3”.

Originally posted by blair8904

.......Luckily, my Granddaughter, who turns two on Wed. will never know the borders were originally 6” not 3”.

Hahahahaha! :P At least you have a sense of humor about this. Hey, we gotta laugh about this stuff....right? (I continue to crack myself up daily)

Anyway, your precious 2 year old grand daughter will love her quilt, no matter what mistake grandma made on it. :) I promise to keep it a secret between us OK?

Originally posted by meg

thats not so bad!!!

- a real mistake would have been that you didnt realize it til you sewed it onto your leader!!!

:P:P:P

I have read where an extra strip of backer is sewn on when it somehow (?) shrinks on the roller! Stop and unload when you discover it and sew on a new piece (if it is contrasting fabric--that's where the label or hanging sleeve goes. You know, "planned" mistakes". I do lots of those!!) Then re-load and finish up.

BTDT;)

Meg, I was too embarrassed to mention I actually did sew about 2" worth on to my leader. Or to mention that I had an extra 8" on each side (that's were the fabric went that belonged on the top and bottom; bad math). At least I didn't sew myself to it. :D:D:D

(Does anyone remember a couple of years ago--someone loaded a big batik backer wrong side up--the seam allowances were on the outside? That brilliant quilter unloaded, picked out the seam and reversed it to re-sew. Then re-loaded and all was fine. Because the batik was so similar on both sides, it wasn't an issue with her customer. Dodged a bullet on that one and quick thinking. Who was that smart quilter? I am in awe of her brain.)

Speaking of brains, can I share a huge laugh....at my own expense.... During the weeks that my MIL was in her final hospice days, I loaded on a quilt.. got the backer on and realized that I hadn't remember that I NOW have a leveler bar.... DUH. Unpinned it and then repinned it behind the leveler bar. No brainer right....... OKAY drum rollllllllll..... I have zippers.:P:P:P:P that I had actually pinned to them and ALL I would have had to do was unzip the silly thing and rezip behind the leveler bar. BIG DUH!!!!! I so love to laugh at myself....it sure beats crying.

It happens. I have been LA'ing for about 6 years and just cut my backing 5 inches longer in length. It only allowed 2 1/2 inches on top and bottom....a little tight...but workable. And the previous quilt I figured out the backing and was 5 inches short, but I hadn't put it on the frame so I just added more:o:o:D

I did this also on my granddaughter's quilt that I gave her for 2009 Christmas. I ran out of backing as I got to the bottom of quilting the quilt. I took the quilt off the Millennium, sewed extra backing on and sewed a quilt label as part of the backing (because I didn't have enough of the backing fabric left). When the quilt was completed, it looked like I had planned it that way all along.

I am new to long arm quilting but have been quilting by hand and making quilts all of my life. My granddaughter is a teenager and loved the quilt.

Originally posted by ffq-lar

hahahahahahahaha!!

oh--sorry Bonnie. The Karmic Quilting wave will now wash over me. I will post later what BIG nasty mistake I make today because I laughed.............:o:P

Well! That didn't take long at all!

Dennis tells me "Rose" called yesterday and her quilt is ready to bring over. Wow--she's not in line until June but OK. I call her and leave a chatty cheerful message on her answering machine saying bring it on over, wow, you're so fast, can't wait to see it. Then the "other Rose" calls this afternoon wondering why I didn't call her back and can she drop off this afternoon. Yep-two Roses. I am a dolt!

Now "first Rose" gets another call--nevermind........

:P

Archived