quilting fleece & minkee combination

I've quilted a ton of fleece throws for all my family. Fleece on top and bottom. Everyone loves how warm they are. Haven't used Minkee though. It might be close to the using Minkee though, with the stretch. I used some feathers on it and fringed the edge.

I made throws using 2 layers of fleece - some with thin batting and the more recent ones, without any batting. I like the no batting ones better because they were more drapable. I cut fringe for them, an did not need to worry about the batting around the edges.

I know my example is not the same as fleece and Minkee, but it is probably similar.

I use Sew Fine on top and in the bobbin.

I have more recently been using my CL pattern boards to do these. Quick and spot on.

These are what I have been using not only as gifts, but for groups (mostly from work) when they are having fund raising events and are begging for anything they can use in a Chinese Auction or raffle. When they have the raffles, there are always many items being raffled off during the event, and none bring in a whole lot of money, so making a beautiful quilt that "might" get $100 did not seem the way to go. These are perfect. We have one next weekend which is an ice hockey game with retired Philadelphia Flyers and a team that has some of our staff, and some members who are our vendors. Since my boss plays on the team, I made a fleece throw for the raffle. I found fleece at JoAnn's at 40% off. I used a coordinating solid on one side and ice hockey players on the other. On the solid side I embroidered the name of the event, "Goals for Giving" and the year, then I quilted it with the Square Dance pattern board from CL, then cut the fringe. I also made it 2 yards long X the 58-60 inch width. It was a great size for big kids and adults, and fit the theme of the event. Since I am going to the event, I'll get to see how people react to it. This will help me improve or make changes...like a judge's comments at a show. I hope it makes them some money.

I've never did the combination. I do love using fleece as my backing. I've never had a problem with it and it's very forgiving (quilting) if you use a thread color that blends with the fleece colors. I know a lot of quilters that don't use batting if they're using fleece because the quilt could be to warm using both.:cool:

Hi,

How do you normally do the fringing on these fleece quilts ? Do you sew a border and then cut to that? And do you just use a normal pair of scissors to fringe? or is there a special tool?

I just bought some gorgeous plum coloured fleece, and wanted to practice a panto on it.

Thanks

:)

When I sew my two pieces of fleece together I just do a straight stitch about 5 inches from the edge and then I have a flexible plastic ruler type thing I got in the quilting part of a fabric store. It has cutout lines every 1/2" and 1". I use a rotary cutter and cut according to the guide in 1" increments. I also cut out the squares in all 4 corners after I have sewn the straight stitch. This method works great for me. Hope I explained it good enough.

When I quilt fleece or minky, I load it so the least amount of stretch goes between the rollers. That is, selvages are on the sides, not on the leaders. That way I don't have to worry about stretching it. We can put a lot of pressure on a quilt it we overtighten the sandwich. If you choose to load with the selvages on the leaders, just be very careful not to tighten the sandwich. I would leave it very loose. I also don't use my side leaders much, if at all, to avoid stretching. Both fleece and minky quilt beautifully. Love the look and the feel!

Archived