My cats who help me quilt (and other pets)

Dragonflyquilts

My cat Jasmine (Jazz) loves to pounce on my hands while I am sewing. One of us is going to get hurt soon! She also loves to rip out the basting stitches on quilts that I basted by hand. There isn't much I can get done until she gets tired and takes a nap.

Oh well. That's what I get for quilting in her house.

It's fun to hear about your pets. Mr. M is my cat and loves to help. A couple of weeks ago I couldn't find him - if he wants to hide he is tough to find being a black cat. I called and called and finally heard him respond. I went into my sewing storage room but still couldn't spot him. I have a tall storage unit with wire baskets. The bottom one was pulled out a little bit and there he was curld into a nice ball on top of my batik scraps. He found another cozy resting place. I have kept him clear of the long arm so far

I have a new bundle of fur in the form of a chow chow named Natasha and have been neglecting my quilting with puppy playtime and house training! She has visited me a couple times (downstairs where my millie is) and doesn't seem to mind the noise. Usually she naps and I quilt. I love the company.

post--13461898217474_thumb.jpg

Cher, rabbits are really very easy to litter train. They like to "go" while they eat ... sooooooo if you get a big litter box and fill it with a safe litter (like Yesterday's News) then put a big handful of hay at the other end you will almost instantly have a litter box trained rabbit.

Before I was into quilting, I had 4 house rabbits. The first one came from a pet store when I was in college and didn't know better. The other 3 were rescues. Bunnies make wonderful, loving pets!

For now, it's just me and Buddy the cat. He likes to sit in his window seat while I quilt. My next project is to make him a new kitty bed.

Happy Quilting,

Chelley

ABSOLUTELY THE BEST! Best topic of all...of course, we hear from the people who are allergic to cat hair, and that's hard to keep a cat hair from someone's quilt if you have a sewing kitty. I've always had "sewing kitties"..except "Charlie". Charlie was a "kitchen kitty". Charles (when we called him his fancy name)..owned the kitchen. The table, the counter-top, the stove where the pilot light is, and so on. He was a Devon Rex breed and absolutely the greatest cat I've ever known! He was so ugly when I

brought him home as a kitten...scrawny-looking..(They just look that way because they only have "fuzz" for hair), huge ears, odd shaped head, etc.

I could not think up a name for him...so asked my son...Jacob said "Who's that dude over in England that's so ugly, with them big ears?" Hence, the name "Prince Charlie of the Ozarks"...Charlie pee-pee'd in the bathtub drain..NEVER saw any evidence that he'd ever missed. I used to get a kick out of watching him "line up" over the hole. He'd also use the toilet if the

tub had someone in it. He LOVED playing the piano...and it wasn't just an occassional 'plink'...it was a whole sonata/ When I'd open the door and come in he'd run to the phone and then run to me...his signal that someone had called and left a message...and this final feat of Charlie's that is still a family laugh when the kids are all together.....My kitchen was

still under construction (had been for 3 years - and never saw any progress)..so the cabinets were open.....no doors. Charlie also liked to sit in the cupboard...The dish cupboard.....right on top of the stack of dinner plates! Before you go "YUKKO"...No, we did not use the TOP plate..The kids and I all raised up the top plate and grabbed those below. Except we never told Roy (The meanest step-father from hell), and Roy wasn't sharp enough to figure it out for himself.....3 years of coping with Roy was all we

could tolerate, but it always makes our hearts feel just a wee bit warmer when we think of him...and the subject goes to "Charlie, the kitchen kitty".

That guy looks like trouble :D Bet the bunny thinks so too.

I had a bunny that we kept outside - he overheated and passed out one day while I wasn't home and a neighbor hosed him down to revive him. I brought him inside to get him out of the heat and fixed him up a litterbox with newspaper...he took to it like he knew what he was doing. I had only one problem, I kept him a bathroom because I didn't know where else to put him and he chewed up my wood trim. He went back out ASAP.

I keep mine in the bedroom in a cage, but I let him out to run around from time to time. He does like to chew, so I put out an old magazine and he mostly chews on that. He does knaw on the furniture a bit, but right now, our furniture is cheap, so I don't care. We are building a new house, so I'll probably keep his cage in the laundry room and let him run around an empty garage for a while. He is hysterical! He is so spoiled! When he wants to eat, he jiggles his bowl until you put food in it. He gets a carrot every night, and when he is ready for it he goes back into his cage and looks at you like, "I'm ready for my carrot now." So funny!

IDEA! I think APQS (or someone) ought to put out a "QUILTIN' KITTY"

calendar! And this one picture of the cat watchiing the needle...ough t to

be January! There are some fantastic pics here and I know there are many more out there....and a "Gone to the Dogs" the next year? If I had the money and means, I'd produce it myself...ML

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Originally posted by yogiquilter

I keep mine in the bedroom in a cage, but I let him out to run around from time to time. He does like to chew, so I put out an old magazine and he mostly chews on that. He does knaw on the furniture a bit, but right now, our furniture is cheap, so I don't care. We are building a new house, so I'll probably keep his cage in the laundry room and let him run around an empty garage for a while. He is hysterical! He is so spoiled! When he wants to eat, he jiggles his bowl until you put food in it. He gets a carrot every night, and when he is ready for it he goes back into his cage and looks at you like, "I'm ready for my carrot now." So funny!

Hi, Heather! I didn't realize you were here, too. My bunnies used to live in my bedroom as well. One of them had a big stainless steel food bowl and a set of plastic baby "keys". When he was ready to eat, he would clang his keys into the bowl. I'd get his food and tell him to move his keys. He would grab them and toss them out of the way. It was so cute!

His favorite treats were cilantro and craisins. He was HUGE bunny and he would take the tinest craisins right out of my fingers and never once bit me. He was so gentle and sweet.

I used to line his cage with those grass doormats that you can buy at import stores. He would shred them. It gave him something to do. Old phone books and toilet paper rolls stuffed with hay also make great toys.

Chelley

This is Penny Lane. She may very well be the MOST nuerotic dog on the planet just like her momma.;)

She barks at every customer that comes into my store. Which helps me considerably. Why? Because I had a gal that visits me so often that she thought it would be cool to run up behind me while I was quilting and yell-REALLY YELLLLLLL. I almost ruined a customer quilt from that event and now Penny is with me almost daily. I don't mind visitors sincerely, but OMGosh show some tact PUH-LEASE.

Penny is a rescue dog, weighing in at just over 7 pounds and holds the title of the stinkiest dog in Custer county. She is my baby, i adore her.

post--13461898464784_thumb.jpg

Archived