tips for new users

Stevie

Stevie, I am by no means a expert, but some tips I would give is to double check that everything that needs to be tightened is.

Try not to lean on your poles,

Also one thing I have found is I keep my left hand on the QZ stylus and my right hand on my right Lenni handle. I have noticed that sometimes my right hand conflicts with my left hand, and that has caused me to get some wobbles.

When using the Spirograph, use smooth movements and do not go to fast, and slow down when you come to where the two points join, that way I am sure everything will join up okay.

Hope this helps

Stevie Kath gives you very good advice. I always stitch the design with no thread the first time to make sure I've tighten it all down right. The thing I forget most is to either lock the QZ in place or tighten the arm (do arm last!). When stitching the large spiros go slower. Leaning on your poles will definitely cause problems. I usually sit while I'm stitching and don't run the risk of leaning this big old belly on my bars! Really once you've done it once right you've got it. It shouldn't take tons of practice. Please let us know if you are having a specific problem. If a specific design is not stitching right repeatly then you might have a bad gear. Email Adam.

I'm looking for advice on epichtrochoids!... I thought I had followed the instructions but the design looked like a cigar shaped UFO. I want to do some inside out filled circles... I decided to go round my spiro twice to make it stand out but second time around it was slightly off - any ideas?

for those of us who are not mathematicians -

an epitrochoid is a spiro design with pointed pivot points?

a hydrotrochoid would have rounded ones?

can someone clarify for me please cause it has been a while since mybrain learned this - a very LONG while in fact!

Originally posted by meg

for those of us who are not mathematicians -

an epitrochoid is a spiro design with pointed pivot points?

a hydrotrochoid would have rounded ones?

can someone clarify for me please cause it has been a while since mybrain learned this - a very LONG while in fact!

I don't know that I ever learned it! LOL no clue. Adam to the rescue please!

Linzi did you lean on the poles? That would cause the change or go counter clockwise for one and clockwise for the other? I usually always go clockwise. Also make sure you have it tightened down really good both the unit and the arm.

The epitrochoids are mentioned in the manual in the "advanced applications" section. These are the designs created by putting the square drive shaft through the mating gear of the gear cartridge, instead of the gear that is in contact with the main ring gear. These designs are typically smaller, and less dramatic than the standard designs. As a general rule, the number of petals that a gear produces in the standard mode (hypotrochoid) is the same as the number of petals it will produce in the epitrochiod mode. The difference is that the petals point toward the center of the motif, instead of radiating outward from the center.

Sorry, I know the description is pretty boring. If anyone has specific questions about these epitrochoids, please give us a call or send an e-mail. Thanks,

Adam

Now that is typical of me wanting to do advanced stuff while still a beginner! They are inside out spiros so you get cool patterns inside a circle (I think). I'm not sure if I have forgotten to do something or whether they don't all do what you might expect. I'm not very good at visualising what the spiros will do if you swap things around...

Was being careful not to lean on rollers - a friend did that mid spiro once when she was watching me - GRR!

Linzi, I am a post-it Queen... discarded 87 off the wall in one day.. still had quite a few.. Now I discard them as soon as I've done what it is about, or no longer need them for reference..

I'm really bad with Post-its.

I made a short list of 5 items to do when using the QZ, (Heidi mentioned 4 with two in one, I seperated them to be 5 things.. it really helps.. on meds for lungs.. so not thinking clearly for sure.. I don't know what post it was in.. maybe Heidi can tell us the thread to look it up..

I found it! it is under the "It WAS Us".. Fairly close to the start, not far in.

Rita..

ROFLM... Oh, Thanks Linzi!. I'm really feeling much better, got my email list cleaned out.. spent about 3 hours doing that.. checked the other boards I'm on, and now am here, have cut binding strips, himself sewed them properly together for me.. no straight lines across for lefty, or me-righty. :D:D Still have to press seams and fold and press...

Also squared up 6 blocks out of 7 that I had to sash and sew together, quilt and bind.. oh, and label..

Yes, speaking of labels, I'm having problems too.. then I saw one ad on the internet where a gal makes an embroidered label, for a preice.. nearly $12.00 each, and no mention of size.. just room for quilters to include info. What info?????? dunno!

Gotta go, himself, the lefty, even fixed us supper, chicken and bean burrito's.. LOL.l. they are so good.

Ritar

Terrific Idea, Heidi, and Kath... I learned that.. hmmmm I wonder how? LOL.. the hard way of course..

First thing I have to do with a new toy is find all the things to not do, then learning from that, it leaves the rest To Do.. just can"t start at the start of anything, even eating, without a bobble or dribble or two.

Thanks for help.. confirming my thought, Kathy..we did that too and couldn't figure out the disfigurement.. DuHH CHos, gotta do it wrong every time.. now to the right way.. Sigh..

RitaR

Archived