Thread Breaking

Good Morning,

I have gone to the front of the machine to try some freehand for the first time and I can't seem to go more than 6" without the thread breaking. I have changed the needle, changed the thread, adjust the tension and changed the speed up and down. Help! I am so frustrated.

Thread breaking can be soooo frustrating! I would also check for any burrs. Brandy has a great suggestion of working with your tension. When you change your needle make sure it's up all the way into the shaft and by inserting a pin into the eye of the needle, check that the eye of the needle is in the 6 o'clock position. Sometimes when you tighten the screw holding the needle it pulls the needle out of alignment. (which was my problem)

I'm sure others will be along to give you more ideas. Good luck!

Are you relaxed? sometimes trying something new will cause you to be tensed. also do you have your stitch regulator on, or off? if you aren't use to the mode your in that can also be causing your thread breakage. Quick jerky movements can also cause thread breakage.

Hang in there, you'll get it.

Originally posted by Linda G. Craig

Thread breaking can be soooo frustrating!

Linda you are sooo right on this one, it's because there so many possible causes and the fix is a process of elimination. Then when you figure it out it is usually a duhh moment and the fix is 99.9% of the time a simple one. Which is why a deep breath and a chocolate break is always in my trouble shooting routine!!! Good luck you will get it!!!:cool:

Thread breaking is so frustrating!---Have you tried a larger size needle? I don't know why this is my last thought---and it's usually the fix I need!

Instead I fiddle with tensions which usually are perfect to start with....(sigh). Just a thought I wanted to pass on. Hope you get everything up and running smoothly again.....

I am a realative newbie. I use to break threads about every 6" too. Always thougth I was missing something, that something was wrong. Recently someone told me it sounds so much smoother than when I started. I was thinking about that as I continued stitching and thought to myself , yea and my machine is working so much better than it use to... then it hit me that it never was the machine, it was me! Hard lump to swallow, but I never did find anything wrong with my Milli so... Now there may be something wrong with your machine, so don't rule out that possiblility, but also remember if you can't find anything to have patience and it will get better, the more you PPP the sooner it will get better.

Is the quilt sandwich too tight? That is a common problem when you first start out. Loosen it so that it bounces a little, then the threads won't be pulled tight when trying to quilt. Other things I do: Advance the fabric to another spot and try again, just to get started. Or, start the stitching with the stitch regulator on, then go without. Remember, you're putting in time for good lessons learned in the future that you can build on -- you'll be the teacher for someone else next time!:)

All good advice, when I have this problem, I ususally start with checking the tension, then the bobbin, then change the needle, and then re-thread the machine...lastly if still haveing the problem, I use (can't remember the name of it - it's too early - that thread lubicant)....

Originally posted by Ardelle Kerr

... then it hit me that it never was the machine, it was me! .... don't rule out that possiblility, but also remember if you can't find anything to have patience and it will get better, the more you PPP the sooner it will get better.

Excellent advice.

Excellent!!!

Thanks so much for all the great advise!

Ardelle, I think you may be right about it. I think it goes smoother when I am following a panto. I will work my way thru all the mechanical issues and then continue to PPP.

I have several Quilts For Kids to do. My mantra is; "They are charity quilts, kids are looking for something to snuggle, not something perfect."

Archived