Trouble with irate and irrational customer, need advice

I have gone through this too. It was funny because she just contacted me via email and asked if I would quilt for her after about 5 years of not hearing from her. I laughed, emailed her back and told her I wasn't in business any more (which is true).

There was a LA'er that was being sued because she supposedly "wrecked" a quilt. The motifs where 1/16th of an inch off center. The LA'er won against the quilter because it was quilted beautifully.

Hang in there, chalk it up to life and move on. Don't give the money back. Offer to rip out the stitches, return it in 3 pieces and let her find another LA'er and do it on your time frame.

To Hollyc,

Do I think she pressed the quilt? After hours of thought, I think that is the only thing that makes sense. I always run my hands over the quilts multiple times, front and back, looking for any thread ends before I give the quilts back. The quilt had no monofilament stubble when I gave it to her, so for her to say the threads had broken and released her applique because of my outline quilting just cannot be true. The only way it now has stubble is if she ironed the top of the quilt and the threads melted.

She was also upset that I had used pounce and mark-b-gone pens 'because it never comes out' according to her chemist associates. Again, she had seen my quilting; and what I do cannot be achieved without some marking the top. She should have made that known to me. While I am not in a position to argue about the chemical properties of using marking tools on quilts; in my opinion, it is just not practical to eschew them.

In hindsight, what she wanted was all freehand, staying 'the h*** away' (her words) from any of the edges of the applique. She could have saved both of us a lot of frustration if she told me that before. I could have done it in a couple of hours versus a couple of days.

Thanks again, Lisa

I was thinking as well that she may have caused the frayed monofiliment herself with a hot iron. Here is my take on her--from a distance of course.

1--She is on meds and needs to change the dosage. ;) -or-

2--She is crazy like a fox and doing this has gotten her free quilting before.:( -or-

3--She actually believes that something you did caused the problems, but is unapproachable because she is stubborn and mean.

All three scenarios dictate that you involve yourself as little as possible with her, because---

1--Crazy is contagious.

2--Don't reward this behavior.

3--She won't listen to or believe you anyway.

Do not refund. Do not admit fault. Do not give in to blackmail. Have a libation and some chocolate. The pain will soften, but the memory will stay forever. In a while, perhaps your (our) suspicions will be justified and your mind will be eased. Sounds kinda Zen, huh?:P

I am sending you a quilty hug.

BTW--who has "chemist associates" and why have they been so quiet about the markers? I think she lies--er--fabricates information to suit her needs and if she was sooo against this product she would have given you the info up front.

OK-now I need a libation and some chocolate!!

[ She works with several book authors and fabric manufacturers.

How you know this about her? Is it because she says she does? Is there a way you can verify this? And who are these "chemist" people? I'd check with other LAer's in the area and see if anyone knows her. You said she teaches classses. It seems strange that she would accuse you of breaking the threads by outlining so close to the applique or that she, as an experienced teacher, would iron over mono thread. Lots of Hmmmmmmm's in there, huh? I'd ask around, I bet there are at least several people she's scammed and intimidated. After 6 years your reputation is already established, she can't do any harm. Who recommended you to her? Go find them and give 'em a good swift kick and tell them don't do you anymore favors!:D

I certainly don't profess to be a custom quilter by any means. But I have found that when I take a quilt in and I use my work order form it gives them an estimated price and they have to sign just below my disclaimer and refund policy. I also normally draw their attention to it also. None of us are perfect and things happen, the power goes out a needle breacks and tears the fabric. The machine decides to eat the quilt for no apparent reason. I just do this to protect myself and to remind the customer that I am human and things can and do happen. If a customer was to have a reservation about the disclaimer then I would suggest they take there work to another quilter in the area.

You might consider this as a future option, then you might weed out the pains!

I love all the gals advise, just remember you look at yourself each day and be thankful you do not have to live in her world of negativity!

Brendalee

I would bet that she washed it per her "chemist" friends advise and then found she had used Vanish instead of Invisible Thread and thought she could blame you for it.

I have made that mistake until the needle came unthreaded and I licked the end to thread the needle. OOPS!!!

Shirley

I do not quilt for others so my advise may not be appropriate. however after some thought I believe she must have used vanish thread by accident or as others have stated melted the nylon monofilament. Now if she is so educated and superior why wouldn't she use a invisible poly....

I also think you got some great advice from Linda. Phone her and tell her that you will buy the quilt for the exact price she paid for the quilting. If indeed she made the mistake in her applique then you will be in posession of the quilt if she tries to sue. After all the evidence will speak for itself. If after a long enough period of time and nothing happens you can restitch the applique with proper thread and you will have a beautifully quilted applique quilt that you can either keep for yourself to show others your quilting ability or give as a gift. I know if it was me that is exactly what I would do.

The nastiness of some people never ceases to amaze me. However, I am a big believer in Karma and what comes around goes around. You can't possibly go through life burning that many bridges and not have retribution.

You will be a better person for taking the high road and in the process you will legally protect yourself.

No matter what do not let her mean spirit take part of your kindness and willingness to share your talent with others.:)

Lisa:)

I know what you mean about batik backs, they can be a bugger as they are so dense. I usually tell customers beforehand if they bring me batik backs that they can be difficult to deal with. You never know, sometimes they quilt up nicely and others are buggers! It also sounds like you did a lot of work for $150! Being a strictly panto gal for customers so far, $150 doesn't sound like nearly enough compensation for a custom quilt. Please don't be too discouraged and remember all the satisfied customers you have under your belt. This too shall pass! Happy Easter!

Robin

Hi,

Just a thought.....Usually a quilt maker/topper will find a good LA'er and stick to them. I wonder why a woman who seems to be so 'well connected' has come to you in th 1st place? Maybe she has already pi*#ed of the other quilter/s by being so erratic.

Anyway, Please don't beat your self up about her anymore. You did the best with what you were given. You know how good your work is and thats what matters.

Must say that I really love Linda's suggestion too.

Happy Easter, I hope the Bunny hops your way.

Cheers

Originally posted by sewingjunky

I certainly don't profess to be a custom quilter by any means. But I have found that when I take a quilt in and I use my work order form it gives them an estimated price and they have to sign just below my disclaimer and refund policy. I also normally draw their attention to it also. None of us are perfect and things happen, the power goes out a needle breacks and tears the fabric. The machine decides to eat the quilt for no apparent reason. I just do this to protect myself and to remind the customer that I am human and things can and do happen. If a customer was to have a reservation about the disclaimer then I would suggest they take there work to another quilter in the area.

You might consider this as a future option, then you might weed out the pains!

I love all the gals advise, just remember you look at yourself each day and be thankful you do not have to live in her world of negativity!

Brendalee

Hi Brendalee

I would be very interested to see what your disclaimer reads if you were willing to share it ????

This is such a scary story.

Thanks

Archived