Trouble with irate and irrational customer, need advice

I finished and delivered two quilts to a customer yesterday. When I gave them to her, she was delighted; her eyes lit up, she said they were extremely beautiful, and that what I charged her was a bargain. As far as I knew, everything was fine. She called late last night, saying that she had cried all day, and I had destroyed her quilts.

The first was to be a gift to a college for appreciation in their hosting a quilt festival. It was batik, front and back, and she had used the 'cheater' method of applique-meaning that the pieces were sewn on a scrim, turned right side out, then sewn on with monofilament thread. In places, there were very thick multiple layers. She gave me no instructions, other than to work my magic and make them beautiful. My particular style is to use stencils when appropriate, a lot of outlining and SID, and microquilting the background, always striving for balance and equal density. There's nothing I'm afraid of. In other words, I work way too hard for the money I receive. The quilt was difficult to way the least, but I was very satisified with the end results. She was upset because I had outlined right up next to the appliqued pieces, saying that it broke her monofilament and the pieces were rolling up on the edges. They certainly were not like that when I gave her the quilt! I don't have a clue what she is talking about. The top thread on the applique pieces was King Tut, and the background was So Fine, with Bottom Line in the bobbin. With the kind of quilting I do, it is not unusual to make several passes over the same area. As I am my own worst critic, I was just dumbfounded with her anger. She then thought I was being rude becuase I wasn't answering her, but I was so dumbfounded I couldn't say a word. She went on to say if I knew I didn't know how to quilt them properly, I should have called her and told her I wasn't capable of completing the job; also, that she had made a mistake in allowing me to quilt for her, and she didn't know why in the hell so many people recommended me; but she would never make that mistake again. She said the quilt was going in the trash can, and she had already called the college to tell them I had ruined their quilt, and that it would take her a while to make another one. The bad thing is, I charged her almost nothing, less than $150 for four days work, in hope that it would give me an 'in' with her contacts. She works with several book authors and fabric manufacturers. I apologized profusely, and told her I would refund her money But in my heart, I know I did nothing wrong, and that what she has a problem with is her method of quilt-top construction and not my quilting. Several people saw the two quilts and were blown away by them, so again, I am just dumbfounded with the entire situation. The second quilt had batiks pieced into the tightest-woven background (which was also the backing) that I have ever seen. The needle did not easily penetrate the fabric, so needless to say, it had holes on the back. I did a fair amount of McTavishing on the background, so you know what the back looked like. The bad thing it, I am so particular with the back, and consider the quilt top as a vehicle to get to the design on the back, which I always think it far prettier than the front. So I am heartbroken, I cried for hours and hours. It is so devastating when you work yourself into the ground for less than minimum wage, do the best you can, and have this response when it is not warranted. If I felt like I had done anything wrong, I would somewhat understand, but I really don't get it. This is my first dissatisfied customer in six years of quilting for people. This woman is very involved in the local quilting community, and teaches all over. This is just devastating, I don't know how to deal with it. Can anyone offer advice? My husband says to let it go, and tell her to go*********, and that I should not return the money. On one hand I agree, but I would like to resolve this issue. I truly do not know what to do. Thank you for any advice.

No matter if you give the money back or not she sounds like a hateful person. I would not give her a refund. Maybe she has burned her bridges with other quilters and manages to get her work done for free. Sounds like a good racket. Bloow her off. The others youquilt for know what kinda work you do and you cn't please all the people all the time. She sounds lik an unhappy person. JMHO

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Did you take pictures before you gave her quilts back? If you did it may be helpful for us to see these pictures. Whatever you do, DO NOT GIVE HER MONEY BACK! NEVER GIVE THE MONEY BACK! I don't know what else to say, someone who has more experience will give advice. I am going to think about this some more, if I think of something, I will post again. Meanwhile it is Good Friday, try to put it out of mind and enjoy your Family (easier said than done I know!).

Hey Quilted Thistle

This is always a hard one, but I think it is important to keep your chin up. Maybe this person is unhappy with the quilting, maybe not. But your line "in my heart I know I did nothing wrong" is the key. You did your kind of quilting, and dealt with what sounds like a difficult pair of quilts. Personally, if I had to speak to this person again, I would say "I am sorry you did not like the quilting, maybe you will find someone else who will quilt for you another time. "

But, I do not think you should return the money you were paid for the work. You had a difficult person to deal with, too, it sounds like.

I am not sure what ******** stands for, although I am guessing, but if you can let this go and know that other people are mostly easy to deal with that would be good for you. Think of all the other people you have quilted for that have been happy with your work.

Cheers

Sylvia FC

Did you take pictures before you gave the quilts back? Who knows what she did with them after they where delivered. Always photograph the top when delivered and note any "issues" in writing. You can be nice about issues! You don't want to chase them off! Take picures of it back and front, before and after.

If she has behaved this way in the past other quilters are probably on to her. Do you know anyone that has quilted for her in the past?

Quilted Thistle,

You've been quilting for 6 years and have never received a complaint? Then clearly you know what you're doing.

She's going to throw them in the trash? What a bunch of hogwash.

Give her back her money? No way! So she can go around saying that your work was so poor that she got her money back?

Did you have her sign a reciept on pick up stating the condition of the quilts? How about photographs, I hope you took some at least for a portfolio of your work. Just because she "knows" people, it doesn't mean that she isn't a nasty, pushy person. Trust me I've run into them in this business.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

Dianne

i had this situation present itself. i had a nasty client do this also...guess what!? turns out she had pulled this stunt with alot of other local LAers (we had a mutal friend who when she found out, called me immediaetly and gave me a heads up. i was prepared when she walked in the door) , and it was a scam for her to get 'free' quilting...needless to say, i don't quilt for her anymore...

as far as refunds....i don't do it. if a customer is unhappy with the quilting thay have two options:

1. i remove all stitching and return their quilts back in the original three layers. (this will stop the 'i want free quilting' scams)

2. i will give them a CREDIT for the price of the quilting ONLY....no labor or supplies.

this policy has nipped all scammers in the bud. i have this 'policy' stated in my 'contract' that all customers have to sign when they drop off a quilt, and i make sure to point it out and ask if they have any questions....

chin up chica-a-pea, i agree with your husband! ....not everybody in the world is 'client' worthy...you've been at this 6 years? i say it's HER loss!

(btw, people like this make my blood boil......so selfish)

Maybe it's time to do some reference checking on the clients-I bet she has indeed done this to others & unfortunatly it was apparently your turn. Maybe we should ask who has quilted for them in the past so as to find out what type of client THEY are, after all they check our quilting references do"nt they? I wonder how that would go over with some people LOL! I do think pictures before & after are a good idea just to cover yourself if there is ANY question later!!!!

I had a customer that did that and then sent me a letter in the mail . It said I did not do a good job and it was poly top quilt. She wanted me to use poly on the bottom. I talked her out of it. Never the less she called me a year later with another quilt. I made up my mine that I was not going to do her quilts again. She was nasty, hateful, rude, and then called back. There are some people that just not satisfied with anything you do and I just let it go and go on with others. Normally customers are pleasant and social with you. So I concentrate on them and what I do and not worry about one bad pea in the pod.

Guest Linda S

You might offer to buy the quilt from her for the fee you charged to quilt it. I seriously doubt she is going to throw it in the trash can. I'd want the quilt in exchange. Then you can see if she has any right to gripe (which I doubt) and if she is serious about throwing it out.

Linda

Your DH is right, don't let this one person get you down, you have been doing customer quilts for 6 years and this is your first complaint, I say that this lady is nuts and is trying to get free quilting. Don't let her bully you, your reputaion before this woman is solid and no one will believe what she says compared to your past clients praise.

Shannon gave you excellent advice.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

I love Linda's idea of buying the quilt back for the price she paid you to quilt it. That way you could be sugary nice and say how sorry you are she is unhappy and since she is going to throw it out you'd be glad to return her money for the quilt. Then you can give it as a gift later or enjoy it yourself. It would keep you sweet and her humble and a win win situation. She'd think before she ever tried that again because you and I both know she is not going to throw it away. Then if she keeps it you'd know she is really satisfied.

Go with what your husband says. She loved the quilts to get them out of your house and now it sounds like a scam. Your friends and others you have quilted for will back you up. Hang in there and do let the B**** get you down. You are a good quilter or you wouldn't have stuck with it for 6 years.

It sounds like this lady is a bully and I would NOT give her any $ back...by the way, if she is going to bad mouth you, (she prob already has so don't give her the $ back), others will know that is her style and not really put much into what she says... I would NOT quilt for her again, she sounds a little crazy to me. And afterall, you can only work with the clay with which you are given (sounds like her applique needs to be improved upon).

I have often thought that it would be nice for LA's to share the names of those we should "beware" of...we have one guy in our area that no one will quilt for now, he is blackballed from all quilters as well as the LQS. I guess he hasn't figured out that we LA'rs know each other and share info at quild meetings sometimes....

But again - remember all of those happy customers that you do have that continue to use your quilting services! They would not return if they weren't 100% happy and delighted with your work.

I am so sorry you have such a weird customer and you have received lots of good advice above. But to reiterate, don't refund!! You and others KNOW you did a good job. It is very upsetting, especially when she was so delighted at first - something very fishy there...!

Great advice by everyone. As a business owner and operator, remember to always remain professional, always take the high road. Think about the reputation you have in your community and you know you are good. So, you do not need to defend yourself any more than you have. Let things simmer down.

In a few weeks, if she continues to threaten you and wreak misery upon you, then tell her to leave you alone. If she continues you will file a restraining order and I would tell her you are taking her to small claims court and a judge can determine the outcome of this conflict. After that news, see how she behaves then.

Some people are just plain miserable. She swims in her own misery, and is getting tired and about to drown and nobody is throwing her a life preserver because she has alienated everyone around her. Poor woman. So sad really it is.

PS: Another thing to consider (and I say this with all seriousness) is that she may have a mental illness. She may not be taking medication. People who are mentally ill and not on meds can behave like this, too. Something to keep in mind.

NO way would I give her her money back but I would invite her over to view the quilt once more and discuss it. She had that chance when she picked it up. I have always reviewed the quilt with the customer top to bottom as I don't want them to go home and say "I found something wrong" which could still happen.

This is not an easy situation to be in. A comment like "Throwing it away" is just INSANE. There is probly more to this than meets the eye.

You may loose a future customer but I would go with your husands idea. We can't go thru life kissing other mean people's BUTTS when they behave this way. Your provided a service and should be paid for it.

Only you know if your quilting met the fee and I'm betting it did. Like the others DONT BEAT YOURSELF UP because of her bad behavior. Not cool!!

Hugs and hope it turns out well for you..

Grammie Tammie

It might also help to be patient in this situation. Do you know the name of the school the quilt was for? Or the occaision it was to be presented at? Follow up.

Wait and check at the school later to see if it was given. Then you can go see it and know if it was your work, or another top quilted by another quilter.

That may not resolve the disagreement, but it will surely make you feel better again about the work you did -- to find out it certainly WAS good enough!

Thanks to each and every one of you for your advice and support. I've only cried a lit bit more today. Regarding the price, I should have charged her at least $100 more, like I mentioned, I was hoping to get an 'in' with some of her contacts. I will take the high road, and even be pleasant to her if I see her again, but I will never consider doing anything else for her. However, I know she would never ask me again. I would be more than willing to put the quilts on a table with 10-20 other people to critique the quilt. I have no hesitation whatsoever about my work. I've taken classes from some of the best, Marily Badger, Linda Taylor, Karen McTavish, and while I don't profess to be at their level. I strive to be. I often say the only time I make money is when I do a pantograph. Custom quilting just does not pay based on the amount of work involved, unless you're doing it for yourself. I get tremendous satisfaction from "working my magic" for other people.

I will chalk it up to experience, and I realize probably everyone goes through this at one time or another. Its just hard being accused of doing something wrong, and vehemently at that, when you know you're innocent.

Thanks again, and I hope everyone has a blessed Easter weekend. This has certainly made me sit back and reflect, which I suppose is a good thing to take away from it.

Lisa

well, since i dont have a business and dont quilt for others, i dont have any right to address this topic. but that has never stopped me before. so here is my 2 cents.

i think you are dealing with one of two scenarios.

1. this woman has a mental illness. this would be very sad, but it could be true. perhaps she is off her meds and struggling. or perhaps she has undiagnosed depression or bi-polar. bi-polar would make sense with her loving it when she picked it up and hated it that night.

2. this woman is just mean. in this scenario, the only thing to say is 'mean people suck.' and call it a day.

in either scenario - you are not a fault and should not shed another tear or waste another minute thinking about this or trying to make it right. it is beyond your control - and NOT YOUR FAULT!

i hope you can put this behind you and have a very happy Easter.

Do you think she pressed the quilt? Couldn't a hot iron break the monofilament thread.

Or, to you think she could have used vanishing thread that she thought was monofilament?

I would

1. acknowledge that you understand she is unhappy

2. acknowledge the contract you had to do the long arm quilting, which was done and met her expectations when she picked up the quilts.

3. there would be no refund. No matter what she said to others, they know the quality of your quilting.

4. memorize her phone number so if she calls, you can let it go to voice mail, then don't listen and delete.

5. document each and everything you did and said. If she would chose to take you to small claims court you would have a record documented immediately after the event.

6. I don't take pictures of client quilts before I send them out the door, but perhaps that would be a good future practice so you can document the quality of the work and the state of the quilt should a question arise later.

Archived