Come Visit the Barn Quilts of Grundy County, IA

Our local TV news station featured the quilts of Grundy County, Iowa in a recent feature story. The reporter was impressed by the color and patterns...he obviously doesn't know many quilters! :)

Many of you journey to your APQS quilting machine's "birthplace" at our factory in Carroll or take classes at our national training center in Des Moines. If you happen to be driving, you might enjoy a side trip through Grundy County to see the quilts as well:

Barn Quilts of Grundy County, Iowa

Take your camera with you!

I may need to plan a road trip for those. There are at least 34 barn quilts in Houston County (at the bottom SE border) of Minnesota. Those would make a good weekend runaround. Hubby took me to them last year and we saw them all but one in 5 hours. Go before the corn gets too tall in some areas.

Grundy County is in my neighborhood. The barn quilts are fun to look for. There are maps available. Several other counties in the area have started putting them up too. I've been thinking of making a barn quilt quilt someday.

Shana, you just convince your husband that Iowa would be a great place to visit. (I'm trying to convince mine that Alaska would be wonderful too!) Plus there are tons of quilt shops! I'll give you the grand tour.

Hey Dawn, my sister lives in Sheffield IA and we went to visit the Bridges of Madison County one year...in Winterset IA and saw the birthplace of John Wayne, Fons and Porter's quilt shop and ended up asking about other quilt stores in the area. We were directed to Creekside Quilting in Clive.

So we find our way into Clive and pull up to this quilt store that says QUILT in large yellow letters. I'm just hoping they have more fabric than Fons and Porters did ( which was about 300 bolts...) and I read the sign in the window that says, 5000 bolts of fabric. My sister just laughed when I said ITS THE MOTHERLOAD!

Anyway, thanks for helping me remember that fun trip! And we did see some of those quilt painted barns too! :):):)

I LOVE this!!! Thanks for the link Dawn. Next time I drive though - - my husband wouldn't stop..... o.k. so we were on the way to Florida in January - - he was in a hurry for sun and sand.

I want to make this road trip with my Quilting Buddy!! :cool: That would work!! :cool:

Archived