Need some design ideas for this one.

I will be getting this quilt tomorrow. It is from a local "hand dyed" fabric designer and she will be using it in her vendor booth at Paducah, Jacksonville, Panama City and possibly Houston shows. Yikes!!!!!! :o

It needs to be a "Wow" quilt as it will get me lots of exposure. She wants some "beachy" motifs to represent our "Emerald Coast".

I have some palm tree, sailboat, sea shell, etc designs to use in the sandy colored areas. What has me at a loss is the colored areas. I think it needs some kind of free hand fill. Maybe a frond type design, I'm not sure. Am I heading in the right direction with this?????? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and she needs it in 3-4 weeks so no pressure. :P

Patty,

Theres a pattern in a book I got at MQX "Brainless Borders" by Sherry D Rogers (is that our Sherry?) called "Philly Leaves" It looks pretty tropical and reminds me of banana tree leaves... (I grew up in South Florida) It might work as a frame on the colored areas and give you something to echo from...

That's a great quilt and the exposure will be great for business :) I'm sure whatever you do will be spectacular

Leslie

Is there a pattern available for this quilt? I have some wonderful hand dyed fabrics that would look great in this design too. I'm sure I could copy it in EQ5 but if there is a pattern then I definitely want to honor the copyright and buy it.

Please share after you have quilted it. Would love to see what you finally decide. Thanks.

Happy Quilting,

Patty -- Love all these ideas -- What a great forum!!!!!

I'm seeing rainbows in the beige areas in that nice shiney thread that Caron mentioned -- ( the little children's ditty of "red orange yellow green blue purple" comes to mind)

Breezy

Thanks for all of your ideas. It will probably be some swirly water type meander. That is what the customer had in mind. We'll see if turns out looking like water! :P

Jean, she said the pattern was from www.cozyquilts.com and it is called "cotton rainbow".

Hay Patty :

Did you get it done yet, I'd love to see a photo when you do.

If you haven't, I know a pantograph web site that has a whole lot of sea creatures & the like.It's called "Munnich Designs" Just Google that name & click on the one that says "Quilt Recipes" I found a whole cloth pattern that also has about 20 sea creatures, shells & plants too.

Check it out, I hope you like it.

good luck :)

Thank you all for your wonderful comments! :D:)

I emailed the customer the photos and she too was thrilled!

Yes, I used stencils and drawings to mark the motifs.

Linda, the palm tree is from the stencil company. I added some sand dunes and sea oats to it. http://www.quiltingstencils.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=67&Page=10

For the sun I used my 4" clamshell ruler to do the half circle then just winged it for the rays.

The seashell is a border design from Anne Bright CD Flora & Fauna, I just rearranged it a bit to fit the space. I can't remember where I got the sailboat stencil. Can't find my receipt.

You can't tell from the photos, but I used a shiney varigated thread. It was Pixelles Tropical Brights.

If you happen to be in Nashville next month (AQS show)and see this quilt hanging in a vendor booth, stop by and say "HI" to Mary Molinari of M Squared Creations, she is the fabric dyer and will be there selling her goods.

Thank you again,

Patty

Archived