Taking the Plunge

Okay, it is official. I've just scared the pants off myself!!! After talking to a very patient and nice (name removed), I've just put a deposit down on a Certified Millie.

Part of me is sitting here asking myself what in the heck I have just done. It is kind of an "Oh my goodness" moment. This is worse than buying a new car!

Fortunately, I've got time to figure out before I have it shipped. I emailed a girlfriend about this (she sends her tops out) and she was quite negative about this. When am I going to have time, how many tops have I done (2, but who is counting). Does the cost justify how much I will use it etc. Mind you, I haven't actually ever quilted anything!!!!

I need a pep talk from you who have been here.

Gail

Welcome to the Longarm Quilting Family Gail! For a lot of us it is emotional, overwhelming and a little scary at first. Understandable and completely normal that you feel this way. You'll do fine! You'll need a little support and it won't hurt to establish a relationship with Representatives close to you. Here are our two in Michigan. Hopefully one is some what close to you.

Detroit Michigan

Jean Coleman

(734) 425-6385 | jcoleman16@hotmail.com

South Haven, Michigan

Deloa Jones

(269) 639-2123 | deloa@deloasquiltshop.com | http://www.deloasquiltshop.com

Good luck! We're here for you!

Aachghfph!!! (that's supposed to be a scream!!!) That's the feeling I remember at first and it sounds like what you will be feeling.

I would not listen to the negative comments...more-so I would listen to the people on this forum who have been there, done that. You are about to experience a few months of an emotional rollercoaster, so get ready for the ride.

If you have a passion for quilting then you are probably on the right path.

I could go on and on, but I won't because I'm sure you will get a lot of pep talks. I don't remember hearing of anyone regretting this decision. Plus, you get to meet great people and see their truly lovely quilts. If only everyone could be so blessed to be doing something that gives them joy!!!

Have fun and remember to breathe once in a while

Sandra:P

Gail, I know exactly how you are feeling!! But good for you and good for all of us who just take that first step out of the boat so to speak. I know that without the support of my blessed DH and the wonderful people on this forum and the women who have emailed me, I would have completely chickend out by now and sent my machine back. but the more I am here and the more I read, the more excited I become. You will do fine and isn't Linda the greatest:) I haven't quilted all that many quilts either, but it is my absolute passion and in my "silver years" have decided that it is okay. I am glad that you have a supportive husband and as far as negative comments, shrug them off and just go forward. Can hardly wait to see what do.

Bekah

A scared newbie too

Congratulations! You'll love it. Don't listen to negative people.

I purchased my Millie about one and a half years ago. I only quilt for myself and don't plan on quilting for anyone else for quite a while, if ever. I had been piecing for about 5 years and had never quilted my own tops except the first two I did in Quilting 101 and 102 classes at my LQS. I love to piece and have lots of tops to be quilted but I also work full time and don't have as much time to quilt as I would like but I have NO regrets about my purchase. When I have time, I put a top on the frame and go to it (I also have a CompuQuilter and use it for most of the tops that I have quilted so far as my free-motion quilting is not very good).

Relax and enjoy! Once you have your new baby in your house and get used to it, you'll wonder why you waited so long to get it.:cool:

Hey Gail! :)

No worries, as others have stated you will wonder why you did'nt start sooner!

I have so many of my friends & family tell me how fortunate I am to have this business, never the same quilt, quilt when you want or not, & just have FUN!

I have you all set, you are good to go, I am glad that you called me & we had a great time talking about our passion. We are all sisters in quilting & a bond much like a family, because we love what we do, enjoy every minute, congrats to you! :D

Call me any time, I am here for you!;)

Originally posted by QuiltFaerie

Okay, it is official. I've just scared the pants off myself!!! After talking to a very patient and nice (name removed), I've just put a deposit down on a Certified Millie.

Part of me is sitting here asking myself what in the heck I have just done. It is kind of an "Oh my goodness" moment. This is worse than buying a new car!

Fortunately, I've got time to figure out before I have it shipped. I emailed a girlfriend about this (she sends her tops out) and she was quite negative about this. When am I going to have time, how many tops have I done (2, but who is counting). Does the cost justify how much I will use it etc. Mind you, I haven't actually ever quilted anything!!!!

Gail

Hi everyone,

Have been researching, reading, etc. etc. and am working with getting together with JoAnn Hoffman, soon I hope, to take a "test drive" before taking the final plunge. Must be why I have been so edgy lately. I can't wait to get a LA, just need to do the deposit. I agree with you Gail, it is worse than buying a new car.

I love reading the posts and everyone is always so helpful with the posted questions. But.....it is a VERY big step and it is scary.

Have been quilting for quite a while but always send the tops out to be done so will be nice to do my own.....

So, wish me luck and thank you for all of your information.

Alyn

Hi Alyn,

You are in very good hands, JoAnn is the best, you are very fortunate to have her as a mentor!

Once you bond with your new machine, there will be no turning back! :D

Enjoy the process & have fun with our JoAnn! ;)

Alyn,

Sometimes when I set my mind on something, I can be quite impulsive. I haven't even made that many quilts! I've talked to a couple of people who where in the same position and that helped. I recently joined a very large quilt guild and the first meeting for me is Saturday.

Any time I can spend with my sewing machine is a joy. I hope I feel the same way about my Millie.

Rekah,

This group is so supportive and honestly, that made a big difference in my decision. I am just blown away by all the encouraging comments and support. What a community. I am still more years than I like to think about way from retiring. Fortunately, this is a decision I get to make on my own.... no husband to worry about the money or budget.

Sue,

You've put a smile on my face. Like a number of LA owners, I honestly don't have a lot of time. My "real" job is quite demanding and certain times of the year I have no idea when I will get home. And when I do, I'm pooped. Normally, nothing gets done during the week. It is the weekend or bust. Because my background is computers, I will probably add a Compuquilter at some point, but for now... baby steps. Diana told me that this isn't a cheap hobby, but what hobby is? I have yet to meet a notion I didn't like. Sometimes I think I enjoy buying the notions and talking about sewing than sewing itself!!! :P

My first 10 thoughts were Yikes!!! Then when I loaded my first piece of muslin - that is when I said - "Oh my gosh, what the heck was I thinking?" After 2 years, I still have moments like that, but it gets easier to swallow. You haven't made a mistake, just opening a new chapter in your life. Have fun!!

Congratulations, Gail!!! It is awesome just looking at the long arm--I still tiptoe around mine, pat it, feed it, BUT...after almost three full months I have yet to put on a 'real' quilt. In fact, since I took classes with (name removed), I've barely driven it (but don't tell her ;) !). And yet, I have absolutely no regrets, I know I will get there, I am still so excited--somewhere between Mary Beth's 'Yikes' and 'What the heck was I thinking' stages. The posts are the most encouraging place to come, friends are intrigued (though getting a little impatient!), and my family simply thrilled that I did what I wanted to do! And all that without ever having seen, touched or tested a long arm. (Sometimes I wonder whether it's my Liberty or me that "Certifiable!") It is truly a decision that comes from the heart! Best wishes, Caroline

Okay Caroline,

I heard that! :P

Maybe I need to make another trip to Idaho again?;)

Drop me line or give a call if you need a re-fresher course.

I know you will be just fine, would love to see some pictures when you are ready.;)

WOW congratulations! From my milli to yours :) I felt the same way earlier this year but let me say that my friends are envious and have used my milli recently. It is like buying a car and what a beautiful car it is! Enjoy it fully :P

Originally posted by QuiltFaerie

Gail

:D

I found a ten foot piece of conduit and added another two feet to it. Wahoo, it will go around the 90 degree angle at the bottom of my stairs into the basement. Thank goodness it is a high ceiling!

At long last, I am fulfilling my elderly mother's long standing wish to clean up my basement! :P

In the meantime, I've had a number of very nice people send me a U2U and tell me they are in my area! I am just trilled to say the least. I hope to figure most problems out myself but it sure is wonderful to have people who own the machines close by for reference!

Gail

Gail, when I bought my Mille, I felt much the same as you did.

The day it was installed, we had Chinese food for dinner, and my fortune read "Look with favor on a bold beginning"

This is now taped to Mille. Enjoy your bold beginning!

Mary

Hey Gail!

I have enjoyed all of our fun chats! ;)

We will meet up & I am thankful you chose me to be your Rep, it's an honor to mentor those that have the same passion as my self. :D And the reasons you have come to me for help are truly from the heart & I thank-you for that!

It is very important to me to stay in contact with each one of you long after the sale. ;)

Offering education, advise, or just having fun conversations!

As you know, I pretty much live & breathe quilting as you do, & thankfully this day in age brings us all a little closer. :)

Any time I can answer a question for any of you, you know where to find me, that is the beauty of belonging to the APQS family we are all here to help you in your quilting journey!:D

Have a great week-end everybody, what ever you may be up to!:D

Gail, I wish you all the best and hope it turns out to be what you want. It hasn't been for me and I've had my machine for almost a year now. I thought I had done all the research, crunched the numbers, tried all the machines and was ready to move up after many years of quilting. But, personally, it was one of the biggest mistakes. I still have buyers remorse and sometimes wonder if I should sale my machine. In fact, thankfully, recently I got a "real" job to help pay for my machine. I don't think I'm in a real rural area but, I have not gotten the support that I thought I would especially from the dealer I bought it from. It was amazing how they sure could call before I made the purchase and keep me on the phone for 45 minutes but, after the purchase - they kindof forgot how to use the phone as I've never heard from them since other than one time during the first week. Sure, the phone works 2 ways but, they got their commission and forgot about me. I hope that those of you who are dealers above don't work the same way. Anyways, I do wish you all the best with your purchase and hope that I am just a rarity and not the norm and just one who is brave enough to speak up and let others know that it is not always a bed a roses that most of this fourm seems to indicate. I do like my machine but, it also takes $$$ to continue with the hobby (classes, driving to classes, hotels, supplies, etc.). Best of luck to you.

Sally,

I am sorry to hear that your experience hasn't been so hot. Fortunately, I'm in a position that the machine does not need to pay for itself. I currently have a great job that I love and a decent income for this day and age. Believe me when I tell you I count my blessings everyday for it.

Do you have a local quilt guild in your area? Any other long arm quilters? It sounds like you could sure use some friendly support. If my rep wasn't working out for me, I would find someone I felt I could work with.

Someone recently suggested another wonderful site to me, www.longarmchat.com. You might want to check it out.

Personally, I haven't found a hobby yet that wasn't $$$. Except maybe running and the shoes where still around $100 a pair. It is yet to be seen if this will work out for me or not, but I sure want to give it a whirl.

Maybe others can offer additional suggestions or help to you since I am so green right now, I don't think I should even be opening my mouth.

Gail

Hi Stitchinsally,

How can we help you? ;)

Gail had some awesome advise as well. :D

Can you please drop me a line or give me a jingle, I care about your concerns. :) I want to help you anyway I can.

Georgene, you can easily do a king on a 12ft. table the leader length is 126" & king batting is 120", so you should be just fine. :D

Gail,

Congratulations on your purchase! I, too, just got a machine last month... not new from a dealer, but one I purchased from the classifieds on this site.

It took me several years to convince my DH and now he is being very supportive...moved it, put it back together, and helping me make adjustments.

We phoned the Des Moines showroom and Carla IS WONDERFUL!! I will have to go for classes...it is definately not as easy as some of these gals make it look! Any new skill takes time. I am still working full time, but look at this as a chance to learn something that I can use for fun and entertainment after retirement...good way to continue to work with and meet others. I haven't set high expectations for profit...but we have been Iowa farmers for 30+ years and know the ups and downs (#1 reason I have been employed full time:o).

There is a huge amount of FREE help and support on this forum. We are so lucky and I am so proud to be a Mille owner...and her name is Molly.;)

Archived