Iron recommendation?

I'm in the market for a new iron. I'm wondering if there is a favorite iron out there. The one that just died is a Rowenta. It's my second one and I'm not buying a third due to the fact that they always end up leaking.

I want an iron that is hot enough to press wrinkles out of cotton. I'll use it primarily for quilting purposes.

I was all set to buy a Reliable brand iron, but the reviews on Amazon have me thinking twice. On the other hand there aren't any five star irons out there.

Who better to ask than folks like you, who like me use their irons regularly for quilting!?

this is the one I got after much searching. I wanted a steam generating one and I have been very pleased with this one. http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-Stiromeglio-Compact-Ironing-Pressurized/dp/B000B76MEA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1272036380&sr=8-1

My only complaint is it takes a while to heat up the water but once it does, it is very powerful and it works great for steaming those "C" cup quilts.

I have the Reliable Steam Generator iron and I just love it! :) It really gets the wrinkles out of cotton and has lots of steam when you want it and gets good and hot. I like the fact that the iron itself is more lightweight so it's easy to use. I also like that it doesn't automatically shut off after a short amount of time. It takes about 5 - 10 minutes to heat up but then you can iron for hours before you need to add more water.

Here's another idea....after owning many expensive irons, and being disappointed with the results after a while, (not to mention that gravity really has an effect on them!) I have started to buy the good ole' cheapo irons. I use a spray bottle to mist my fabrics first and then use a dry iron. I have had good results using the cheapo irons and I save a bundle of cash that I can spend on other "quilty" stuff.

I bought 2 GE iron's at Walmart for $17.00 for my sewing class. Some of the girls liked it so much they asked me to pick them up one the next time I went there. I have a Rowenta at home and mine leak's too.. I picked up a Oliso, at a Tuesday Morning store for $49.00, reg price is $119.99, but I haven't used it yet.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in with an opinion. I was leaning toward buying a cheapie and replacing as needed but I know that I would get frustrated with that. I'm going to give the steam generators that you all recommended serious consideration. They should last longer and spit and dribble less, overall making me a happier camper. We might as well have good equipment, right!?

Guest Linda S

If you find that your irons leak and you're fed up with buying new ones, you can buy the old fashioned metal, non-steam irons at the Vermont Country Store. Google it. They're about $25 -- great to use with a bit of Mary Ellen's Best Press.

Linda

I heard Ricky Timms make an interesting statement and that is "All steam irons eventually become incontinent" :P He suggests using a spray bottle with water and a dry iron and then you never have to try and get out dirty water drop stains. That makes sense to me, so I no longer put water in my iron even though it is a steam iron! ;)

Archived