NQR Scotland History and Traditions!

I know that many of you in the US, Australia, infact all over the world, have ancestors here in the UK and thought you may be interested in snippets of information which I will be covering on my blog over the next few weeks!

Last Wednesday marked the start of events which culminate in 'Hawick Common Riding' which takes place on Friday 11th June when the whole town closes down to celebrate!

If you're also a horse lover it's even more interesting!

You can find my blog here http://borderlinequilter.blogspot.com/

Best Wishes

Ahhh two of my loves, quilts and horses! Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures, that tradition looks like fun! I was able to have a very quick visit to Scotland about 4 years ago but only was able to stop in Edinburgh to visit the main sights and did go down and see the beach/ocean. I too am one of those whose ancestors came from Scotland...Stewart was my mother's maiden name. I am looking forward to seeing more pics as you continue your blog!

Hi Kay! I enjoyed reading this story. I love everything "history" and especially stories like yours; those things specific to a town or area.

Your horses Bess and Dibbley are beauties. The before and after photos really are impressive. Pet the ponies for me and give them an apple or a carrot, or a scoop of grain; whichever they prefer. :)

Kay I enjoyed reading your blog and the pictures are wonderful! I booked marked your blog so my partner can read it. He was born in Scotland and he enjoys reading about Scotland's history and traditions.

Kay the countryside looks beautiful, my mothers family is from Scotland. I started learning Highland dancing at the age of 4 and studied it until I was about 17. Got really good at the sword dance, reckon I could still do it today (not);) My earliest memory is of my mother ordering my tartan skirt, I think it was a McGregor tartan.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful part of the world with us.

Sorry Karen and anyone else out there for not including you, I do know that people from the UK are in every part of the world, didn't mean to exclude anyone at all.

I think I may even need to say here that I am English, but 'hey , the Scots lets me live here!

This will be an ongoing blog and will be updated again with a new episode tomorrow!

Best Wishes

Beautiful Kay! Thank you so much for sharing! The horses are beautiful, that would be so much fun, and I love hearing about the traditions. The town is beautiful, too!

Everyone's family in America came from somewhere else! My mother's family has been here since 16 something. that's as far as we've traced. Assuming we came over from the UK, sut with a name like Sessums how to trace it over there? I give up! :D:D:D

Archived