Judi, How are you at Baptist Fans? I have a rainbow colored log cabin with a flying geese border that I want to enter in the state fair in September. I want Baptist Fans in the center portion (the log cabin part). The quilt is 60 x 80 or so. Would you be willing to take a look at it if I sent you a picture in an email?

Thanks

Yes Teresa - Baptist fans can be lots of fun! They look great on a Log Cabin! Do you have the Hartley Fence set-up or the Circle Lord? In my

personal opinion the Hartley Fence does the BEST job at Baptist Fans. You

can do them quicker with the template from CL, but not as correctly.

I would love to take a look at it send me a photo, or post it here. I would

really enjoy helping you out! I am off to search for a photo of something..

Here I found it, my daughter kept telling me I needed to

sew down the little red pockets - after I had tried so hard

NOT to!

Customer wanted gold thread on the gold and blue on the

blue, I think it would have looked better and shown the

quilting more the other way around...... oh well......

Oh you lucky ladies that can do freehand , I thought I was an artist [sort of anyhow] I have Darlene Epps pocket books , have doodle untill I can't see . Still can't get it to work on my sweet dreams :(I can't even get a leaf freehand , I will just have to p, p , p .:o I am going to try and take some kinda freehand class this Nov ........ Wish me luck ;)

APQS millennium

"Sweet Dreams "

I am with you, freehand is so terribly hard for me. I have taken lecture classes and hands on classes - the instructors always make it look so easy and I think "Okay, I've got it - can't wait to try it now!" Then I start sketching or stitching and it look so not like what my brain is saying it should look like. I wish I could just twitch my nose and make it work!!

Linda S

I have a question for you. You said you have lots of stencils and I was wondering what you think is the easiest way to use stencils with our LA's? I have used them with the pounce pad and like that.

I also have a question for anybody. What do you think is the easiest way to use the patterns from books or when we print them off cd's?

I saw a neat way to make an inexpensive and pretty good size light box. I haven't tried it yet but it looks like it would work well.

Anyway, just wondering.

I like pantos alot and find no problem with lining them up. I get close and then line the laser up and then using the laser I check the outer edges to see where it is falling. I don't know if I'm explaining very well but just check the pattern up and down the table from front to back. I also use painters tape for the beginning and the end. Works great.

Tmaus, I have made some of my own stencils. They are pretty easy to use. I photocopy the pattern onto a piece of plain paper and then use spray adhesive to attach it to either a piece of cardboard or a piece of plastic (the tops of ice cream tops work well, are a good size, and you have to eat the ice cream to get the top). The I use a sharp razor knife to cut the pattern design, leaving little braces along the design. I have used several of these. Not hard to make and they hold up well.

Oh wow! I have the Millennium and I never thought of using the table for the pantos. Has anyone ever done that? What type of light would you put under it? I'm going to have to play with this.

Very cool.:o

thank you Katydids.

Tamara

I use the under-counter fluorescent light that I bought at Home Depot for $13. It was recommended by Darlene Epp to use as a side light (thank you Darlene for being so generous and smart!) Works great under the table as a light source.

Linda R

Hey Gerry.... Thanks! :P But I can't take credit for that! I saw it somewhere before. I think it is in the APQS literature pack.

PS.. I use a clip on type desk lamp and have it clipped on that thin bar across the center of the table (underneath).

Patty

The APQS lexan table top was designed especially to BE a light box. ;) All you need is a light source underneath. I've mounted a power bar to the front of my table, so have everything plugged in there; the auto advance motor, hydraulic lift, iron, small vacuum and a fluorescent light fixture tube.

For the person who is having trouble with freehand work, and has the Pocket Guides: In my freehand classes, I talk about the "shapes" in the designs. If you look at the simple leaf meander, and break it down into the shapes used, there is only one, and it isn't a "leaf". It's simply a "lazy S" that crosses over itself and makes another lazy S. Until you can tell your brain to make the "simple leaf" and your brain knows what you mean, use a word that it DOES know. Your word may not be the same as my word. Look at the shape and say the word that means that shape to YOU. Then when you're drawing or quilting, just say the shape you're making, out loud. (My classes can get a bit noisy! LOL)

For example: Daisy

Lazy S, into a Circle, add Arches, and echo the Lazy S.

Say the shapes out loud as you draw or quilt them. Eventually, you'll be able to say "Daisy", and your brain will know what you mean.

Our brains are sort of like our husbands. You have to be VERY specific with them. :P

Hi Marie, I do pay attention to copywrite issues. There are books available like Ann Bright's and Sharon Schamber's and pattern packs like Julie Mullins with lots of patterns that are OK to use the patterns as you wish as long as they aren't for resale or mass production. Many of them are meant to be copied for use such as Judy Allen's and Keryn Emmerson's pattern packs as they have sections of pantos and instructions on how to trace them. I love Sharon Schamber's designs from her 4 books. They do save me money on pantos. MMMM recently bought Splashing by Jodi Beamish that's a nice one to quilt and looks good. jeri

While we are on this subject....what are your favorite pantos...I am building my stash and have a few, but am wondering which ones everyone can't live without.

I, too, love the front of the machine, but other than "fancy" meandering, I am lost as to what to do. I just did my first quilt with "custom" in the the body of the quilt and Linda Taylor's curly feather in the borders. It turned out pretty nice, but was just fancy meandering in the body of the quilt (around some machine embroidery) . I struggled with turning the quilt to get the feathers all going the right way. First I did top and bottom, then realized they were going opposite directions if you did the sides the same. I thought I could turn my quilt using zippers, but the zippers are going the wrong way, too. So, do I have my zippers on wrong or what?

Sorry for the long post, but I just found this forum and have lots of questions.

Durham

APQS Millie

2 months old

Too funny! I thought I'd heard every word imaginable from my students, but you've come up with a new one. Can I borrow it for my next class??:D

Do you see how our minds and brains are all different? We even need to say different words to mean the same thing! LOL

Tamara, I just have a small table lamp that with no shade that I stick under my table when I need it. No extra cost to me as it's one I'm not currently using anywhere else. It could be a dolloar or 2 thrift store purchase. jeri

Archived