I was wondering, how many pantographs everyone has started with once they got their LA?

How often do you use them virses free motion?

I have so few pantographs but have been looking at some, but have been debating whether or not to purchase them.

I am still new to this.................

thanks in advance.

Tish

Uniquely Yours Quilts

Tish,

When I purchased my used long-arm, it came with 4 pantographs. I purchased maybe 6 more. After getting the 'hang' of doing the motion, I stopped using them. I found it much more difficult to reposition the pantograph after rolling the quilt than just doing it fee motion. I know some LA-ers that do nothing but pantograph...I think it's a confidence thing. As I always say, it's all about Practice, Practice, Practice!:)

I think it is a personal prefrence. I cannot do freehand quilting. I want to soo very bad, but I just cannot do it. I use pantographs alot and I like them. I would rather freehand, and if you can do that then I would suggest that you go for it. But if you can't no big deal, your customer will love it just the same.

With the newer pantographs available now that interlock, there is no need to reposition the pantograph. Just advance the quilt, make sure your laser is lined up correctly and go! Soooooo easy for those of us that are "freehand challenged" ;)

No more of those quilts that "look" like they've been stitched in rows!

Patty

Guest Linda S

I have lots of pantographs and use them for probably about 1/4 of my quilting. I mostly do custom work now, so I'm developing a HUGE stash of stencils. I like having a good assortment of pantos on hand though. I love the ones that can be found at www.jodibeamish.com -- a little something for everyone.

Linda

I have about 10 pantos. My favorite is "Steam" by Norma Sharp. I have "Security Blanket" for baby quilts. I enjoy doing pantos and find lining them up to be a breeze. Make sure you leave your needle down when you roll the quilt up so you can line up the top of the last row w/the bottom of the panto. I avoid pantos that don't have marks for repositioning a row. Some of the pantos have so many lines its almost as time and thread consuming as custom. I think they are great fun. I do custom but don't have enough in my memory bank to come up w/ideas for a lot of custom work. I don't have many customers which makes a difference too.

I prefer the front of the machine, too. But other than stipple

meander, you gotta think to come up with the design.

It would (and does, sometimes) take me days to decide

on a design. And I bet not every customer is willing to pay

for custom. I'm just starting to think about doing this for $ so

I am trying it all.

I think the pantos are a great way to develop muscle

memory for some of the designs that I just can't dream

up myself. When I first started on pantos, my first row

looked like I must have been drunk when I stitched it, it was

shaky and all over the place. I have gotten better. :)

But for me, the hardest thing remains finding my place

when it's time to advance. I always go too far or not far

enough. And does it need to go forward or back. I am

going back and forth several times. And as klutzy as I am,

needle down in the quilt is too scary. I'm so intimidated by

them, I am taking a class at Innovations about doing

pantos. Sad, huh? I think I need a remedial panto class. LOL

Linda, I'm with you. I would also need a class in how to use them. I just don't find it comfortable being at the back of the machine. The handles are so low and I feel like I'm stretching my arms. Also, I can't ever get them positioned correctly either. About the only one I do, and somewhat enjoy, is the popcorn panto. It is quick and easy to line up.

Gosh Gals:

I find panto's easyier than anything. It's the free-motion that I have trouble with. Can't draw a stick man, :( just got Darlene's pocket books I'm hoping that they will help.

My answer to the question is, at the moment I want them all, at lest until I can do free-motion that looks as good if not better. :)

Also I think Darlene still has her CD you might consider. It is affordable and she does a great job with photos showing you how to line up your panto and move to the next row. It makes it all so clear after you see the CD if you are new at it. It is not a video. It is kinda like a powerpoint presentaion but it was a big help to me. I think it was $20.

I can't believe this is me, Miss No Confidence, telling you guys to calm down over pantos:P. I took a class from Marcia Stevens (spelling) at MQS a couple of yease ago and was overwhelmed. She is so good, but very technical, way over my head. I had signed up for her advanced panto class too, but decided to go shopping and just donated the class price to MQS, or who ever. Anyway, they are really not that hard to do. I put my pattern under the plastic on my table; measure from the edge, the length of the table to make sure it is square, even and all that jazz; set up my laser making sure my needle in hitting the top edge of the quilt; mark both ends of the panto with (plastic sheet) with blue painters tape so I know where to start and stop on the quilt top; and away I go.

I would love to do freehand, and have taken classes, etc. I need to PPP, but also need time, time, time. So until I get time, I will panto!

I also prefer the front of the machine but some of the pantos are great. I'm actually doing a maple leaf one at the moment To keep your investment a bit lower buy a roll of unwaxed butcher papaer it comes with 1000's of feet of 18 inch wide paper for about $20.00. Buy books such as Sharon Schamber's , Ann Bright's, etc. and trace the pantos in whatever size you wish with a fine tip permanent marker. The fine line will help you follow the patterns more accuartely. Tracing them first helps you learn to stitch them. Love my 4 in one printer/copier that reduces and enlarges. You will also get lots of block, border, and corner patterns also.

Jeri-I laughed when I read that you are reducing and enlarging the pantos/borders/blocks etc. Watch out for the copywrite Nazi police. After reading three pages on copywrite I'm too scared to admit on an international forum that I would ever do that. I know there are some out there who don't care but the ones that do REALLY DO!!-Marie

I remember a conversation I had with Michael at Circle Lord. "I hate working from the back of the machine". Then I got used to working pantos, and then I got bored with the simple ones and started shopping at MQX for more complex pantos (to keep me awake, I think). I'm envious of Linda Steller who does mostly custom, and is playing with wholecloth, since the majority of my work is pantos (what my customers will pay for). I have LOTS. But unless I see one that really knocks my socks off, I don't buy it, since my customers are clueless, or just stick to the standard "cotton candy" or such.

cynthia

;):D Thanks for all the wonderful feed back:D:):D

I'm currently practing by tracing patterns in some of the quit books I have, working on that memory thing.

I'll look for a few panto's that have connecting lines for the next line....I'll keep everyone posted.

I suppose I should also include that I have up graded my ol' Ultima 1 for a Green Millie..............my new baby should be arriving on Wednesday of next week. My DH is gonna help me set it up.......:D:D

Hey Guys,

For those of you who are panto challenged--get the PatternGrid by the Colorado Quilting Company, and use that to help you with lining up the pattern, row after row. It is a long piece of plastic made using engineering graph paper. You can square your quilts, line up your patterns perfectly! Couldn't do pantos well without it!

Luv2kwilt

APQS MILLENNIUM

This is sort of off topic- but not far off.

To those of you who have designed and had pantos produced, how do you go about doing that?

This pattern I designed for this bumble bee quilt is really cute, was super easy, and I couldn't find anything out there like it. Maybe I could produce a panto for you guys. Maybe that's the direction I need to take with my quilting. You never know, I might be the next Dave Hudson (well, okay, but you get the picture). LOL

Janet,

I'm embarrassed to admit that it never dawned on me to

move the lazer. Duh. It seems like I walk a mile back and

forth until I get it aligned front to back. The side to side is

pretty straight forward.

The lazer makes perfect sense now. I can't wait to try

this. I thank you and my sore feet thank you.

I am more comfortable with pantos and using the laser light than with free motion. This past summer I have been branching out using more rulers/ templates, and I can do free motion stippling and McTavishing but free motion feathers scare me to death!! Even the thought of some stencils can throw me for a loop (I am sure it's all a confidence thing that I will eventually force myself to over come ;) but for now I will take baby steps in that direction).

I currently have around 50 pantos (some have a passion for shoes, some a passion for fabric...I have a passion for design!:P) LOL

Joann

JO Ann, I just did free motion flowers on the quilt I just finished. All I did was doodle flowers for a couple of hours one night until I got to the point where I could draw one I liked without picking up the pen. I drew it over and over until it was comfortable. Then I took my pen water soluble pen and drew the same flower on the quilt top. That's how I did the flowers. The leaves I did the same way. the only thing I truly did freehand (with no marking) was the loops and swirls. Freehand is nto that back, you just have to be real comfortable and don't expect perfection.

Ah Yes - Teresa has the right idea - just play with a design until you like it

and are comfortable with it. Those quilts that people want the "cheapest

thing - overall" is where you can play and let yourself go.

I love freehand, I love working from the back with my whole Circle Lord

set-up, I have many pantos but have not done one for over a year, and I

do not suggest or push them. I would rather do a really great quilting job

that fits the quilt - custom work - and maybe get paid a little bit more than

the panto price. I am still trying to build clients. I am keeping busy, but

could be more so. Just doing a great job and getting my name known.

Archived