Quilt Label Protocol

I am piecing a quilt as a gift for my Niece's Wedding and have selected a lovely pattern, "Venetian Dream" from Fon's & Porter's Easy Quilts, Fall, 2009 magazine. I am relatively new to quilting and using patterns therefore want to know if I should reference the pattern source on the quilt label when it is finsihed. Thanks!

I don't - decided a long time ago that the labels can become too long and detailed. I include the name of the quilt, washing instructions, my name and date and who I am giving it to. If it were a show quilt, then I might think twice and include the design reference out of respect for the designer.

I agree with Meg. As long as it is not going to a show. At least sign your initials and year.

Another idea may be to quilt the wedding date into the quilt into a corner with their initials. I have done this for baby quilts with the baby's initials and the date born. It looks neat.

OK I am going to be the different opinion here... I say, it's your quilt, and it's your label, so if you want to put a label on there that gives the pattern name, all the info, etc. go for it! And, also, I think it also gives credit to the pattern designer. They might be pleased that their name/and or pattern was on the label. In fact, I have made a few wall hanging quilts (for resale) but before I did, I emailed the pattern designer and asked for permission (copywrite) and I told them that I would reference the source on my label. The designer was 1) pleased that I asked permission to use their pattern and 2) was even more pleased that I referenced their name, pattern title and web site on my label. I think it's nice to give the source recognition. It's a small quilty world out there so any way we can all give eachother kudos and recognition, the better.

(JMHO)

i'm so ditzy i am lucky if i remember to label my quilts at all. (ok - go easy on me here ~ i know that ALL quilts should be labeled ~ and i'm trying to do better)

when i have remembered the labels, i've never referenced a pattern. but i do think it is a nice idea to give everyone credit. maybe someday i will be that organized...but i doubt it.

I agree with Shana and include the designer when I'm using someone else's design. Who knows where the quilt will end up & I think it shows respect to the originator of the design. I usually put those details in smaller font than the rest however.

Also, I love the idea of putting the size on the label somewhere. I'm going to do this in furture.

Actually, I usually do two labels. The main one gives all the usual info. Maker, date, location. Who it's for etc. , Quilt name & designer if not me & now, dimensions. The other, smaller label gives basic care instructions ie don't dry clean! etc. I put one label in each lower corner of the quilt. Of course, I have no idea if any of the recipients ever want to wash their quilts but at least they'd have the information if they do! When it's a baby quilt I also state in the gift card " This quilt is design to be spit up on, dragged thru the mud & used to build forts etc... Enjoy!" However, once given away I try & forget them. Including the lovely one I gave one of my sisters which lives in her closet so it doesn't get spoilt! Oops, that didn't work!

Thank you all! I appreciate everyones input! Until recently, I was just making blocks and piecing them together...and as you can imagine, the sizing was always indifferent to typical bed sized quilts. A few months ago I purchased a quilt kit from a local quilt shop which included a pattern from Benartex using their Montana Modern fabric collection and it came out beautiful. As earlier indicated, my current project is from Fon's and Porter's Easy Quilt Magazine. I fell in love with Janet Houts Venetian Dream pattern and find it is coming together nicely. I noticed that Janet's Bio and contact information is provided so I intend to email her a picture of my finished quilt. I will also make note of her as my inspiration on the quilt label, in addition to the dimensions and care instructions. You folks are the best!!! Thanks again!

I always learned to put as much information as possible on the label. Having recently gone through several antique quilts - some well labeled and some not - for my cousin. My sister is much better at evaluating, but I took pics and it was so interesting to see the what, when, why, where and who of the quilts...

Remember you are creating a "history" for yourself and others...

Originally posted by MoeMoe

.... I fell in love with Janet Houts Venetian Dream pattern and find it is coming together nicely. I noticed that Janet's Bio and contact information is provided so I intend to email her a picture of my finished quilt. I will also make note of her as my inspiration on the quilt label, in addition to the dimensions and care instructions....

I think you will make the pattern designer's day if you send them a photo of your completed quilts. If you scan the Internet web sites, often times you will see the pattern designer's photo gallery of various quilts made by folks like you and me. They are proud to know their patterns are being used, and they are thrilled to see the various fabrics and colors people choose. It's like circling back to their vision; it's like giving ultimate recognition to the designer for their pattern or design; it's like the biggest compliment you can give them. The designers don't know about these creations and quilts unless people like you and me email them a photos of our quilts, so circle back and do that for them. They will very much appreciate it I am sure! :) I made the "Simply Christmas" quilt by Rabbit Factory two years ago and I need to send a photo to Lydia, the designer. I've been meaning to do it... I better stop procrastinating! :D

I agree with Shana about contacting the designer and asking permission to be able to produce their pattern for re-sale and giving them credit, however if the quilt was just for me or a family member I don't know if I would add all that information because of the size of the label.

Archived