NQR - Move in sight--update

We're down to our last 13 quilts then it's on to packing the rest of our stuff for the move across the country. FINALLY!!! We're in a 2600 sq. ft. house right now and moving to 1000sq.ft. :o We have boxes already packed in all the rooms, and along the stairs we have a pile of "good" things that customers can take if they want. We have 2 studios to move. All studio stuff is included in the move except for the one machine my husband uses. We pick up the moving truck on the 21st. Our son-in-law and his nephew are coming to help us drive. The fun part is taking my cat. She doesn't like the car. I have a dog cage she is going in. It's large enough for her bed and litter box. The dogs have made the trip many times so they may tell her to chill and just relax. ;) The sad part of this is that we are knocking the old homestead down. So sad. The house is about 200 yrs. old and is just tired. I will so miss the peace and quiet here. We're holding on to 7 acres up front of the property in case we just can't take the city anymore. I already told my husband that if we ever move again, I am just walking out the door, locking it and getting in the car. I will start all over with clothes, furniture etc. :P

We're down to our last 13 quilts then it's on to packing the rest of our stuff for the move across the country. FINALLY!!! We're in a 2600 sq. ft. house right now and moving to 1000sq.ft. :o We have boxes already packed in all the rooms, and along the stairs we have a pile of "good" things that customers can take if they want. We have 2 studios to move. All studio stuff is included in the move except for the one machine my husband uses. We pick up the moving truck on the 21st. Our son-in-law and his nephew are coming to help us drive. The fun part is taking my cat. She doesn't like the car. I have a dog cage she is going in. It's large enough for her bed and litter box. The dogs have made the trip many times so they may tell her to chill and just relax. ;) The sad part of this is that we are knocking the old homestead down. So sad. The house is about 200 yrs. old and is just tired. I will so miss the peace and quiet here. We're holding on to 7 acres up front of the property in case we just can't take the city anymore. I already told my husband that if we ever move again, I am just walking out the door, locking it and getting in the car. I will start all over with clothes, furniture etc. :P

Carol,

Well good luck with the move! I too have moved more times than I care to think about. Somehow I see probably one more move in my life but hopefully not for a long time. Only time will tell. I told hubby he can just bury me in the deep end of the pool! LOL I too have a cat that hates to travel! I found that if I cover her cage with a towel she does much better. She gets sick and poops or pees or all three and she looses so much hair it is a wonder that she isn't bald! It is never fun. Funny story though. When we moved from NC to NY when hubby retired we had a carovan of sorts. Both kids were moving with us and they each had their car, then of course hubby and I each had a car. We had walkie talkies and cell phones so we could communicate and stick together. Hubby decided he would take the cat with him in the van and didn't listen about keeping her in her cage. We're driving down NJ turnpike and hubby starts flashing his lights so we all pull over to the right. I was in the lead car and he was in the last car. I ran back to his car to find out what was wrong and he says, "Sugar puked down my leg." LOL He let her out of the cage and let her sit on his lap...bad idea. I ran back to my car for the paper towels and he had to just sit there. We still laugh about it! Happy moving!

Carol,

Well good luck with the move! I too have moved more times than I care to think about. Somehow I see probably one more move in my life but hopefully not for a long time. Only time will tell. I told hubby he can just bury me in the deep end of the pool! LOL I too have a cat that hates to travel! I found that if I cover her cage with a towel she does much better. She gets sick and poops or pees or all three and she looses so much hair it is a wonder that she isn't bald! It is never fun. Funny story though. When we moved from NC to NY when hubby retired we had a carovan of sorts. Both kids were moving with us and they each had their car, then of course hubby and I each had a car. We had walkie talkies and cell phones so we could communicate and stick together. Hubby decided he would take the cat with him in the van and didn't listen about keeping her in her cage. We're driving down NJ turnpike and hubby starts flashing his lights so we all pull over to the right. I was in the lead car and he was in the last car. I ran back to his car to find out what was wrong and he says, "Sugar puked down my leg." LOL He let her out of the cage and let her sit on his lap...bad idea. I ran back to my car for the paper towels and he had to just sit there. We still laugh about it! Happy moving!

Carol,

I thought you weren't taking the machine Bob uses?

We moved with our cat. We ended up just letting her have the run of the car. It was rather silly to see her use the litter box on top of her carrier at window level with everyone driving down the road able to see her.

Carol,

I thought you weren't taking the machine Bob uses?

We moved with our cat. We ended up just letting her have the run of the car. It was rather silly to see her use the litter box on top of her carrier at window level with everyone driving down the road able to see her.

Guest Linda S

Good luck Carol. I moved cross country with the cat in 1979. The cat spent the days under the car seat, but he would come out at night and lie on top of a cooler I had in the back seat and pant, pant, pant. It was a hot and horrible drive, in an old Dodge Dart pulling a UHaul trailer, but I made it! Took four and a half days from Geneva, NY to Eugene, OR. Every now and then, when I get on the freeway, I think. . . what if I just kept going? I still have dreams of being on the open road and just traveling. It was a good experience.

Guest Linda S

Good luck Carol. I moved cross country with the cat in 1979. The cat spent the days under the car seat, but he would come out at night and lie on top of a cooler I had in the back seat and pant, pant, pant. It was a hot and horrible drive, in an old Dodge Dart pulling a UHaul trailer, but I made it! Took four and a half days from Geneva, NY to Eugene, OR. Every now and then, when I get on the freeway, I think. . . what if I just kept going? I still have dreams of being on the open road and just traveling. It was a good experience.

Hi Cheryl - Bob's machine is not going and has already found a new home as soon as we're done with this last 13. But, we have 2 studios here so you can imagine what it will look like packed into a garage studio. The garage is also my laundry and storage. Should be interesting. I'm so worried about Sprite (the cat) getting loose that I have attached a leash to the cage and am putting a harness on her. My VW Golf is kinda small so I'm not taking the dog seats but am letting them just lay on a blanket in the back. They freak without their seats. My animals are beyond spoiled.

Hi Cheryl - Bob's machine is not going and has already found a new home as soon as we're done with this last 13. But, we have 2 studios here so you can imagine what it will look like packed into a garage studio. The garage is also my laundry and storage. Should be interesting. I'm so worried about Sprite (the cat) getting loose that I have attached a leash to the cage and am putting a harness on her. My VW Golf is kinda small so I'm not taking the dog seats but am letting them just lay on a blanket in the back. They freak without their seats. My animals are beyond spoiled.

After talking to my son-in-law in CA. I found out his mom is soooo excited that we're moving out there so she can "PLAY" on my machines. I also have 2 embroidery machines, a lg. Bernina and a small Brother. I can tell right now that I'll have no friends cause I already told him my machines were "OFF LIMITS!!" to EVERYONE. I can see it now, my daughters friends on their sewing play day at my house thinking all my supplies are for them. My two daughters married brothers so they have the same mother-in-law. When I was visiting out there a couple of years ago, the mother-in-law brought me her "mending" cause I know how to sew. I just sat there staring at her in disbelief. But, because I adore my son-in-law, I didn't say anything. What's up with these people? I would never dream of doing those things. These are people who take cruises, go camping all the time etc. I chose to put my money in my tools. That just doesn't mean they are free for everyone. Maybe when I get out there, I'll gather up my laundry and take it to her house, use her washer and dryer, expect her to help me fold, then leave. Thank you for letting me vent. Didn't these people have parents to teach them manners?????? By the way, we're on the packing part with the quilting all finished.

After talking to my son-in-law in CA. I found out his mom is soooo excited that we're moving out there so she can "PLAY" on my machines. I also have 2 embroidery machines, a lg. Bernina and a small Brother. I can tell right now that I'll have no friends cause I already told him my machines were "OFF LIMITS!!" to EVERYONE. I can see it now, my daughters friends on their sewing play day at my house thinking all my supplies are for them. My two daughters married brothers so they have the same mother-in-law. When I was visiting out there a couple of years ago, the mother-in-law brought me her "mending" cause I know how to sew. I just sat there staring at her in disbelief. But, because I adore my son-in-law, I didn't say anything. What's up with these people? I would never dream of doing those things. These are people who take cruises, go camping all the time etc. I chose to put my money in my tools. That just doesn't mean they are free for everyone. Maybe when I get out there, I'll gather up my laundry and take it to her house, use her washer and dryer, expect her to help me fold, then leave. Thank you for letting me vent. Didn't these people have parents to teach them manners?????? By the way, we're on the packing part with the quilting all finished.

Good luck with those relatives Carol, I think that was one thing I liked about being in the military, never near family and we always knew that we would be moving again in 2 - 4 years....It is good to start off with a firm no at the beginning. I still get people asking me to mend something for them, I don't think most people have a clue what Long arming is, they just think it is sewing of some kind...

We drove across this country more times than I can remember, taking a dog one time was the hardest simply because you could not leave them in a car and can't take them into restaurants...but at least they don't cry and whine all day like kids would about leaving their friends...:mad:

Best of luck to you! Let us know when you get there!

Good luck with those relatives Carol, I think that was one thing I liked about being in the military, never near family and we always knew that we would be moving again in 2 - 4 years....It is good to start off with a firm no at the beginning. I still get people asking me to mend something for them, I don't think most people have a clue what Long arming is, they just think it is sewing of some kind...

We drove across this country more times than I can remember, taking a dog one time was the hardest simply because you could not leave them in a car and can't take them into restaurants...but at least they don't cry and whine all day like kids would about leaving their friends...:mad:

Best of luck to you! Let us know when you get there!

It's amazing how many people don't know the difference in utility sewing, and making a quilt from start to finish.

Tell them it's like the difference between painting your livingroom and a Rembrandt! Or show it all to them and tell them it's 40K worth of equipment, not toys from Fisher Price!:D:D

She'll understand after you get there!

Archived