NQR - Move in sight--update

It's amazing how many people don't know the difference in utility sewing, and making a quilt from start to finish.

Tell them it's like the difference between painting your livingroom and a Rembrandt! Or show it all to them and tell them it's 40K worth of equipment, not toys from Fisher Price!:D:D

She'll understand after you get there!

Originally posted by meg

carol - your stuff = your rules.

:mad: grrrrrrrrr

:mad: be firm.

:mad: hold your ground.

:mad: you can win this war!

:mad: grrrrrrrrrr

meg

I agree with Meg. Once you set the rules stick to them. Let them know that this is your space and no one else can use it, except for Bob...I am sure you will let him play if he still wants:D

Originally posted by meg

carol - your stuff = your rules.

:mad: grrrrrrrrr

:mad: be firm.

:mad: hold your ground.

:mad: you can win this war!

:mad: grrrrrrrrrr

meg

I agree with Meg. Once you set the rules stick to them. Let them know that this is your space and no one else can use it, except for Bob...I am sure you will let him play if he still wants:D

Invest in a big Banner now....NO ONE ALLOWED BEYOND THIS DOOR! or MACHINES FOR OWNER'S USE ONLY! I'm Grrrr'ing for you! I too have had people bring me their mending because I know how to sew. I wish I had thought to bring them my laundry! That was a good one. I hope the move goes well and Meg is right stick to your guns and be very FIRM!

Invest in a big Banner now....NO ONE ALLOWED BEYOND THIS DOOR! or MACHINES FOR OWNER'S USE ONLY! I'm Grrrr'ing for you! I too have had people bring me their mending because I know how to sew. I wish I had thought to bring them my laundry! That was a good one. I hope the move goes well and Meg is right stick to your guns and be very FIRM!

I still get to hem my dad's pants because my mother thinks my serger is made for that. Haven't been able to convince her yet. BTW- my sister checked with her vet when she moved from Kansas to Florida with her cats and got a happy pill. She said the cats were mellow until they got within an hour of their destination and then WANTED OUT. All would have gone fine but they had to stop and fix a flat tire outside Atlanta.

I still get to hem my dad's pants because my mother thinks my serger is made for that. Haven't been able to convince her yet. BTW- my sister checked with her vet when she moved from Kansas to Florida with her cats and got a happy pill. She said the cats were mellow until they got within an hour of their destination and then WANTED OUT. All would have gone fine but they had to stop and fix a flat tire outside Atlanta.

Good advice above. Be sure to have all your dirty traveling laundry ready when you first get there to give to the mother-in-law, because "you just knew that she would want to help you in any way possible!" Include the critter blankets too.

Actually, can you get your girls started on the right track now before you even leave, so that the sils can tell mom that these are business machines? Or be sure to let them know that anyone else using them needs to pay rent, $1000 or more an hour, then in one or two days you could start replacing machines.

Good advice above. Be sure to have all your dirty traveling laundry ready when you first get there to give to the mother-in-law, because "you just knew that she would want to help you in any way possible!" Include the critter blankets too.

Actually, can you get your girls started on the right track now before you even leave, so that the sils can tell mom that these are business machines? Or be sure to let them know that anyone else using them needs to pay rent, $1000 or more an hour, then in one or two days you could start replacing machines.

ROFL, and yet, NO I do not think it's funny.. Madelyn's response was much like one of mine, Ask for a $1,000.00 deposit against damage.. then Charge about $48.00 per hour.. just to make it sound like you really did your homework on the cost of using the machine.

As for mending, refuse to do it by saying, "Oh, I don't mend, I just quilt, but I will teach YOU how to mend, on a regular sewing machine, since the quilting machine isn't for regular sewing... then we won't have any problems with it." Usually that is the last you hear from them about that subject. I hope it would work for you.

Yes, I think I'd get happy pills from the vet for the poor kitty.. we always had our big old cat on a leash and harnes, and looped the hand loop over the gear shift.. he still jumped out the window at 60 mph. pulling him back in, (no where to stop), played some music like "Thump, thump, thump.." He didn't try that again, but did get his leash caught on a wire under the seat. this was a 1965 Barracuda, 2 doors, so it wasn't fun for two of us to try to see and reach under the seat to unstick the leash and get him out. The only time he rode in the car was to go to the Vet and back.

Good luck and what is your destination, city or general area of??

Rita

ROFL, and yet, NO I do not think it's funny.. Madelyn's response was much like one of mine, Ask for a $1,000.00 deposit against damage.. then Charge about $48.00 per hour.. just to make it sound like you really did your homework on the cost of using the machine.

As for mending, refuse to do it by saying, "Oh, I don't mend, I just quilt, but I will teach YOU how to mend, on a regular sewing machine, since the quilting machine isn't for regular sewing... then we won't have any problems with it." Usually that is the last you hear from them about that subject. I hope it would work for you.

Yes, I think I'd get happy pills from the vet for the poor kitty.. we always had our big old cat on a leash and harnes, and looped the hand loop over the gear shift.. he still jumped out the window at 60 mph. pulling him back in, (no where to stop), played some music like "Thump, thump, thump.." He didn't try that again, but did get his leash caught on a wire under the seat. this was a 1965 Barracuda, 2 doors, so it wasn't fun for two of us to try to see and reach under the seat to unstick the leash and get him out. The only time he rode in the car was to go to the Vet and back.

Good luck and what is your destination, city or general area of??

Rita

Carol,

I will say many prayers for you during this move, settle-in time, and the kid's MIL!

Maybe you can use the excuse "my insurance doesn't cover anyone else using my machines, but me"...just incase something were to happen, so I dont let anyone near my machines!"

Carol,

I will say many prayers for you during this move, settle-in time, and the kid's MIL!

Maybe you can use the excuse "my insurance doesn't cover anyone else using my machines, but me"...just incase something were to happen, so I dont let anyone near my machines!"

Lay the rules out now as Meg said. Stick firm and keep the quilting machines behind a locked door...even when you are in there! :D

Seriously, talk to your daughters and let them understand the investment you have in these machines and also the clients and that this is your business. You cannot risk the unfortunate event that something should happen to any of your machines. Not only the expense of repair but also the downtime. They should understand. Maybe in time...you could teach your daughters how to use your machines...but only in your time! You could provide them with a price sheet with your rates for the interim. :)

Lay the rules out now as Meg said. Stick firm and keep the quilting machines behind a locked door...even when you are in there! :D

Seriously, talk to your daughters and let them understand the investment you have in these machines and also the clients and that this is your business. You cannot risk the unfortunate event that something should happen to any of your machines. Not only the expense of repair but also the downtime. They should understand. Maybe in time...you could teach your daughters how to use your machines...but only in your time! You could provide them with a price sheet with your rates for the interim. :)

We Rv'd for 3 years with our cat who traveled in a dog carrier in the back seat of the truck during the traveling. Also moved from Washington state to Texas in the middle of the summer with a cat. 104 degrees so begged a couple of garbage bags from the gas station and made a doubled layed ice bag to lay on top of the carrier which was in the back seat. (I worried that the a/c didn't reach the back seat.) Cat had his own a/c. If you keep the cat in the carrier he will be safer and just one less thing for you to worry about. Might cry for the first day or so but should settle down.

We Rv'd for 3 years with our cat who traveled in a dog carrier in the back seat of the truck during the traveling. Also moved from Washington state to Texas in the middle of the summer with a cat. 104 degrees so begged a couple of garbage bags from the gas station and made a doubled layed ice bag to lay on top of the carrier which was in the back seat. (I worried that the a/c didn't reach the back seat.) Cat had his own a/c. If you keep the cat in the carrier he will be safer and just one less thing for you to worry about. Might cry for the first day or so but should settle down.

Thank you all for your advice. Meg, your post is going to be my montra (sp?). We are moving from beautiful Virginia, 250 family owned acres in the woods, to the high desert of Victorville, CA. I have a dog carrier large enough for the cats bed and her litter box. The dogs will be right next to her so she should be a little more at ease. I might check out the "happy pills" Maybe she'll share them with me? Hopefully we'll be out of here by the 25th.

Thank you all for your advice. Meg, your post is going to be my montra (sp?). We are moving from beautiful Virginia, 250 family owned acres in the woods, to the high desert of Victorville, CA. I have a dog carrier large enough for the cats bed and her litter box. The dogs will be right next to her so she should be a little more at ease. I might check out the "happy pills" Maybe she'll share them with me? Hopefully we'll be out of here by the 25th.

Archived