UPDATED-QUILT GONE-CUSTOMER HAPPY-Needing to Vent-Frustrated w/Customer Quilt

I've only been in business a little over a month and I got a customer's quilt that is part flannel and part regular quilting cotton. On the back is a strip of 42" flannel, strip of 40" regular cotton in the middle and then another strip of 42" wide flannel. On the top is flannel "borders" all the way around a 24" by 30" regular cotton panel. The flannel is so much thicker than the regular cotton that parts are sagging top AND bottom. Can I use Bonnie's starch technique on top and bottom? I'm almost to the point of trying to keep the top from pleating and "too bad" if there are pleats in the middle on the back, but I hate feeling that way about it. This is her first quilt and I think will be my last with mixed types of material. The back was not square, but I fixed that. The top is not square and she rounded the corners. I'm doing my best, but not happy with it. Did I mention it is an oversized king size quilt? Any advice would be appreciated. Do you ever give a customer a quilt back with pleats on the back?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only been in business a little over a month and I got a customer's quilt that is part flannel and part regular quilting cotton. On the back is a strip of 42" flannel, strip of 40" regular cotton in the middle and then another strip of 42" wide flannel. On the top is flannel "borders" all the way around a 24" by 30" regular cotton panel. The flannel is so much thicker than the regular cotton that parts are sagging top AND bottom. Can I use Bonnie's starch technique on top and bottom? I'm almost to the point of trying to keep the top from pleating and "too bad" if there are pleats in the middle on the back, but I hate feeling that way about it. This is her first quilt and I think will be my last with mixed types of material. The back was not square, but I fixed that. The top is not square and she rounded the corners. I'm doing my best, but not happy with it. Did I mention it is an oversized king size quilt? Any advice would be appreciated. Do you ever give a customer a quilt back with pleats on the back?

Hi Cindy, I don't know what to tell you other than what I did on a similar situation. Steam the baggy parts and then dry iron right on the machine as you go. Do it ever so lightly and test an area before getting carried away. This usually will tighten it up enough to get it stitched and take your time and work in the fabric. I wish you the best and let me know, the starch thing may work too, just try a spot first.

Thanx---Dave B.:)

Hi Cindy, I don't know what to tell you other than what I did on a similar situation. Steam the baggy parts and then dry iron right on the machine as you go. Do it ever so lightly and test an area before getting carried away. This usually will tighten it up enough to get it stitched and take your time and work in the fabric. I wish you the best and let me know, the starch thing may work too, just try a spot first.

Thanx---Dave B.:)

Hang in there, Cindy, and realize that you are gaining experience (and an upset stomach?;)) dealing with this creative quilt.

One thing I do with pieced backs is to load them so the seams are parallel to the rollers. This way the stretch of the flannel can be controlled with a tightening or loosening of the roller--and no build up of seams to cause sagging on either side.

Around here the latest thing is to use every leftover block and piece of front fabric to piece the backer--arrggghhh! I charge extra if there are obvious problems--and I starch and steam before loading. After that, it is what it is since I can't control it all and the customer has been warned.

I definitely have had my share of droopsy backers and wonky tops. But they are all beautiful--especially after they are quilted.

Hang in there, Cindy, and realize that you are gaining experience (and an upset stomach?;)) dealing with this creative quilt.

One thing I do with pieced backs is to load them so the seams are parallel to the rollers. This way the stretch of the flannel can be controlled with a tightening or loosening of the roller--and no build up of seams to cause sagging on either side.

Around here the latest thing is to use every leftover block and piece of front fabric to piece the backer--arrggghhh! I charge extra if there are obvious problems--and I starch and steam before loading. After that, it is what it is since I can't control it all and the customer has been warned.

I definitely have had my share of droopsy backers and wonky tops. But they are all beautiful--especially after they are quilted.

Cindy...how yucky for you. It. Doesn't always work with flannel, and I would call her before doing it because it can mash down the nape. Oh it will come back after it's been washed but will look funny when you hand it back, and without warning it might shock her.

Good luck.

Cindy...how yucky for you. It. Doesn't always work with flannel, and I would call her before doing it because it can mash down the nape. Oh it will come back after it's been washed but will look funny when you hand it back, and without warning it might shock her.

Good luck.

Cindy well that doesn't sound like a fun quilt at all! I've never had one with mixture of flannel and cotton but I would imagine that the flannel probably has more give to it than the cotton. Do the best you can and be honest with her up front. YOu are not a miracle worker! I will add this to my notes so that I can bring it up at guild when I present to them in Sept. My talk is going to be "What to expect from a longarmer" The what to and what not to do! This will be on the What not to do list!

Cindy well that doesn't sound like a fun quilt at all! I've never had one with mixture of flannel and cotton but I would imagine that the flannel probably has more give to it than the cotton. Do the best you can and be honest with her up front. YOu are not a miracle worker! I will add this to my notes so that I can bring it up at guild when I present to them in Sept. My talk is going to be "What to expect from a longarmer" The what to and what not to do! This will be on the What not to do list!

Steam and starch should definitely help. I often just starch first without the steam and let totally dry naturally - often this shrinks up the quilt just enough - that is if it is not totally wacky!!! Another tip ............ Where the quilt is sagging, tuck some extra batting back at the take-up bar between the quilt and the bar. This should pull in the quilt a little and give you a firmer area to quilt. Just make sure you don't put so much in that you can't move your head easily - often, just a little bit helps. I actually keep 2 12"x12" squares of batting at hand just for this reason and either fold or just put in the single layer. Helps keep a non-square quilt square as well as pull in the saggies I have found that it does not pull the quilt out of whack - just firms it up a bit.

Good Luck!!!

Steam and starch should definitely help. I often just starch first without the steam and let totally dry naturally - often this shrinks up the quilt just enough - that is if it is not totally wacky!!! Another tip ............ Where the quilt is sagging, tuck some extra batting back at the take-up bar between the quilt and the bar. This should pull in the quilt a little and give you a firmer area to quilt. Just make sure you don't put so much in that you can't move your head easily - often, just a little bit helps. I actually keep 2 12"x12" squares of batting at hand just for this reason and either fold or just put in the single layer. Helps keep a non-square quilt square as well as pull in the saggies I have found that it does not pull the quilt out of whack - just firms it up a bit.

Good Luck!!!

Cindy, it sounds to me like you got yourself the major big time problem ==big time challenge quilt that we all dread about getting. I am sorry you got this one just as you were starting out.

You've gotten some great advice. Question: Have you called the customer to talk about it? Just be kind and understanding and explain you will do the best you can but it might have a few creases and pleats. She will be grateful (and proud) of her first quilt. :)

If she is game for it, you could give her some thoughts and suggestions on piecing so she understands the "bigger picture" with constructing quilts. Maybe suggest a few beginner quilt books (Eleanor Burns, etc) and beginner quilt classes at the LQS.

Cindy, it sounds to me like you got yourself the major big time problem ==big time challenge quilt that we all dread about getting. I am sorry you got this one just as you were starting out.

You've gotten some great advice. Question: Have you called the customer to talk about it? Just be kind and understanding and explain you will do the best you can but it might have a few creases and pleats. She will be grateful (and proud) of her first quilt. :)

If she is game for it, you could give her some thoughts and suggestions on piecing so she understands the "bigger picture" with constructing quilts. Maybe suggest a few beginner quilt books (Eleanor Burns, etc) and beginner quilt classes at the LQS.

Cindy,

I am sorry you have to go through this but it was bound to happen sooner or later. It's so hard to tell a quilter about a problem with their quilt and/or back. Especially if they are new as you don't want to discourage them. But it's best to explain things to them. Otherwise you will get another one just like it the next time! I just quilted a quilt that had way too much fabric in the borders...a king size quilt. I would have had her correct the problem before I quilted it but she wanted the thick poly batting so I was able to quilt out the fullness but it took so much longer to deal with. When I returned the quilt to her I sent along pictures of the quilt top unquilted so she could see the waves, along with a sheet on the correct way to apply borders and a really nice note. I figure, it's now or later. If I explain it now and make her mad, so be it. But if I received another quilt from her with borders like that I would have to return it to her to fix before I quilt it and that would probably not make her too happy either. Hang in there...most of the quilt tops you get will be so much fun! It's just like Christmas every time I get a new quilt top to quilt!

Cindy,

I am sorry you have to go through this but it was bound to happen sooner or later. It's so hard to tell a quilter about a problem with their quilt and/or back. Especially if they are new as you don't want to discourage them. But it's best to explain things to them. Otherwise you will get another one just like it the next time! I just quilted a quilt that had way too much fabric in the borders...a king size quilt. I would have had her correct the problem before I quilted it but she wanted the thick poly batting so I was able to quilt out the fullness but it took so much longer to deal with. When I returned the quilt to her I sent along pictures of the quilt top unquilted so she could see the waves, along with a sheet on the correct way to apply borders and a really nice note. I figure, it's now or later. If I explain it now and make her mad, so be it. But if I received another quilt from her with borders like that I would have to return it to her to fix before I quilt it and that would probably not make her too happy either. Hang in there...most of the quilt tops you get will be so much fun! It's just like Christmas every time I get a new quilt top to quilt!

Thank you all for the advice (and sympathy...we need that when we're in our own pitty party, right?).

I had already called her about the backing needing cut down to fit and be square (it was too long for my 12 foot rollers and didn't need to be), and that I needed to load the seams parallel to the bars (I tried for two hours to make it work the way she originally wanted it and learned my lesson there). A friend of hers, which is also a friend of mine, helped her put it together. Why she didn't convince her not to make it this way is unknown to me. I'm going to take it off the frame, frog a border of the inside panel and then starch it to see if it helps before loading it back on the frame (it's those 4 little borders (made up of 3 rows of the same material) on the panel that are not sewn on correctly that are too tight and wonky). I just can't work upside down and it's only the back in the middle under the panel that's giving me fits right now (the part that is just the cotton). I know I'm spending way too much time with this, but I would do it if it were mine.

Heidi, definitely teach them NOT to EVER do this!

Meg, I'm wondering if I put the batting UNDER the backer bar if that would help with the backing drooping. I'll try that, too.

Bonnie, the nap is already going different ways on the top and looks funny.

I'll update with results when I'm done. You gals and guys on this forum are priceless and much appreciated!

Now where is that magic wand when I need it!;)

Thank you all for the advice (and sympathy...we need that when we're in our own pitty party, right?).

I had already called her about the backing needing cut down to fit and be square (it was too long for my 12 foot rollers and didn't need to be), and that I needed to load the seams parallel to the bars (I tried for two hours to make it work the way she originally wanted it and learned my lesson there). A friend of hers, which is also a friend of mine, helped her put it together. Why she didn't convince her not to make it this way is unknown to me. I'm going to take it off the frame, frog a border of the inside panel and then starch it to see if it helps before loading it back on the frame (it's those 4 little borders (made up of 3 rows of the same material) on the panel that are not sewn on correctly that are too tight and wonky). I just can't work upside down and it's only the back in the middle under the panel that's giving me fits right now (the part that is just the cotton). I know I'm spending way too much time with this, but I would do it if it were mine.

Heidi, definitely teach them NOT to EVER do this!

Meg, I'm wondering if I put the batting UNDER the backer bar if that would help with the backing drooping. I'll try that, too.

Bonnie, the nap is already going different ways on the top and looks funny.

I'll update with results when I'm done. You gals and guys on this forum are priceless and much appreciated!

Now where is that magic wand when I need it!;)

Cindy.

These quilts are tough! No way around it. I have one that is all quilter's cotton - no flannel - and it is doing the same thing. It is a pretty quilt and I pressed it but the bag and sag factor can not be erased! My quilting looks like a mess because as I stitch, the bagginess moves right along. Yuck!

My advice, which I wish I took (!!), is to do the simplest thing and be done. You can not fix them all into submission. Many say...they quilt them as they get them....these baggy-saggy quilts are what they are. You can only do so much when the fabric and piecing is like this.

Good luck and move on quickly.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

New Jersey

Archived