Breaks my heart...UPDATE...Karate Outfit ? Solved

Oh, I just want to cry...I just received a phone call from a dad that lost his wife and son a year ago in a drunk driving accident (they just caught the drunk driver last week and it was all over the news last weekend). He has two boxes of his son's shirts, many with Christian sayings and his son's Karate outfit that he wants incorporated into the quilt. I've done a t-shirt quilt before but not quite sure how to incorporate the Karate outfit and non t-shirts into it. Got any ideas? Turns out he lives only a few miles from me. A friend of mine that he works with in another town gave him my name because her son is the one that I made the t-shirt quilt for. Is it a small world or what?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I just want to cry...I just received a phone call from a dad that lost his wife and son a year ago in a drunk driving accident (they just caught the drunk driver last week and it was all over the news last weekend). He has two boxes of his son's shirts, many with Christian sayings and his son's Karate outfit that he wants incorporated into the quilt. I've done a t-shirt quilt before but not quite sure how to incorporate the Karate outfit and non t-shirts into it. Got any ideas? Turns out he lives only a few miles from me. A friend of mine that he works with in another town gave him my name because her son is the one that I made the t-shirt quilt for. Is it a small world or what?

Cindy,

that is a very sad story that unfortunately is repeated daily! When will people learn that drinking and driving don't mix? I think I'd make the karate outfit the middle and then put the t-shirts around it. If you stabalize the t'shirts you shouldn't have a problem. The other thing you can do is use the other parts of the karate outfit for sashings or borders. I'm sure you will make it beautfiul.

Cindy,

that is a very sad story that unfortunately is repeated daily! When will people learn that drinking and driving don't mix? I think I'd make the karate outfit the middle and then put the t-shirts around it. If you stabalize the t'shirts you shouldn't have a problem. The other thing you can do is use the other parts of the karate outfit for sashings or borders. I'm sure you will make it beautfiul.

Cindy,

What a tragic story. If I were you, I would also ask if there were any items from the Mom that you could incorporate into the quilt. Jeans, dresses, something of hers also. Favorite jeans can have pockets you could use or zippers. Good luck and I am sure you will need tissue handy. So sad but I am sure you will make it beautiful.

Diana

Cindy,

What a tragic story. If I were you, I would also ask if there were any items from the Mom that you could incorporate into the quilt. Jeans, dresses, something of hers also. Favorite jeans can have pockets you could use or zippers. Good luck and I am sure you will need tissue handy. So sad but I am sure you will make it beautiful.

Diana

Cindy when Jess died last June....There were tons of western shirts in the closet...I knew I couldn't do anything with them at the time, being the mess I was, but Linda Rech and a good buddy of her's stepped up to the plate and did this quilt top for Gene's Mother, I did the quilting. I now have it as Carrol passed in February but she did get to enjoy it for several months.

Linda purchased or bought from stash the border and sashing fabrics, but the rest are all Jess's shirts....you can get tons of fabric from cut up garments....

4704679292_aeea20c653_b.jpg

Cindy when Jess died last June....There were tons of western shirts in the closet...I knew I couldn't do anything with them at the time, being the mess I was, but Linda Rech and a good buddy of her's stepped up to the plate and did this quilt top for Gene's Mother, I did the quilting. I now have it as Carrol passed in February but she did get to enjoy it for several months.

Linda purchased or bought from stash the border and sashing fabrics, but the rest are all Jess's shirts....you can get tons of fabric from cut up garments....

4704679292_aeea20c653_b.jpg

I'm going to take him pictures of t-shirt quilts (it didn't sound like he'd seen one before) and see if he has ideas of if he wants the Karate thing in the middle or what and if he wants the other non t-shirts used as sashings, etc. If I remember right from when it happened last year, the son was his from his 1st marriage and he and this wife hadn't been married that long. It was kind of like a Brady Bunch marriage where they both had multiple children from previous marriages they had custody of. So he may be wanting to keep the wife and kid separate. I'll carefully approach the subject to see if he wants more than son's belongings in the quilt. I told him I would have to cut the shirts up to do this and he was okay with that.

Bonnie, your Mood says you're begging for rain...I would have gladly sent you what we got the past couple of days. I had to pick green beans in mud halfway up my calf with every step this morning and now it's supposed to be hot and the humidity is going to be treacherous. I'm not a summer girl if you can't already figure that out.

I'm going to take him pictures of t-shirt quilts (it didn't sound like he'd seen one before) and see if he has ideas of if he wants the Karate thing in the middle or what and if he wants the other non t-shirts used as sashings, etc. If I remember right from when it happened last year, the son was his from his 1st marriage and he and this wife hadn't been married that long. It was kind of like a Brady Bunch marriage where they both had multiple children from previous marriages they had custody of. So he may be wanting to keep the wife and kid separate. I'll carefully approach the subject to see if he wants more than son's belongings in the quilt. I told him I would have to cut the shirts up to do this and he was okay with that.

Bonnie, your Mood says you're begging for rain...I would have gladly sent you what we got the past couple of days. I had to pick green beans in mud halfway up my calf with every step this morning and now it's supposed to be hot and the humidity is going to be treacherous. I'm not a summer girl if you can't already figure that out.

Cindy,

Depending on how many shirts there are, you could piece the back with the cotton shirts. Using them as sashing is also a good idea. It's is always difficult for me to plan something until I see the materials I'm going to be working with. I'm sure you'll do a great job, just sorry about the circumstance that brought it to you.

Cindy,

Depending on how many shirts there are, you could piece the back with the cotton shirts. Using them as sashing is also a good idea. It's is always difficult for me to plan something until I see the materials I'm going to be working with. I'm sure you'll do a great job, just sorry about the circumstance that brought it to you.

Cindy, that is such a sad sad situation. Isn't Bonnie's quilt beautiful? I do T-shirt quilts evey month from start to finish. When I have clothing articles clients want on a quilt I always first warn them if the items are not cotton or cotton/polly as other fibers will melt with either heat or finger-nail-polish. Then if they still want the item included I locate a t-shirt that has a good bit of space left on the bottom (I cut my squares 15.5X 15.5 and sometimes this leaves space at the bottom of the square) and applique an emblem from the clothing item to the t-shirt before they are all sewed together. It is not hard to do and does all tons of interest to the quilt. Hope this helps.

Cindy, that is such a sad sad situation. Isn't Bonnie's quilt beautiful? I do T-shirt quilts evey month from start to finish. When I have clothing articles clients want on a quilt I always first warn them if the items are not cotton or cotton/polly as other fibers will melt with either heat or finger-nail-polish. Then if they still want the item included I locate a t-shirt that has a good bit of space left on the bottom (I cut my squares 15.5X 15.5 and sometimes this leaves space at the bottom of the square) and applique an emblem from the clothing item to the t-shirt before they are all sewed together. It is not hard to do and does all tons of interest to the quilt. Hope this helps.

I have seen baby clothes on a quilt and it was awesome. Never would have thought of it....The quilt maker layed the clothes on the block and pinned them down, then stitched around the edge. The children were twins a boy and girl and the dad just wanted to have the quilt made for his wife for a Mother's day gift. Any who....I'm thinking, if the boy was not a teenager or a large kid, you could stitch the Karate outfit in the center of the quilt, then surround it by t-shirt quilt blocks. Wish I could draw....I can see it in my head :)

I have seen baby clothes on a quilt and it was awesome. Never would have thought of it....The quilt maker layed the clothes on the block and pinned them down, then stitched around the edge. The children were twins a boy and girl and the dad just wanted to have the quilt made for his wife for a Mother's day gift. Any who....I'm thinking, if the boy was not a teenager or a large kid, you could stitch the Karate outfit in the center of the quilt, then surround it by t-shirt quilt blocks. Wish I could draw....I can see it in my head :)

Cindy,

When you see the shirts, I'm sure that inspiration will hit. I've incorporated photos printed to fabric in t-shirt quilts and framed the pictures with t-shirt material. That's not much help to you here. The quilt you make will be a blessing to this man. You can't take away his pain, but you can give him his memories in a wonderful quilt that will give him comfort.

Lynn

Cindy,

When you see the shirts, I'm sure that inspiration will hit. I've incorporated photos printed to fabric in t-shirt quilts and framed the pictures with t-shirt material. That's not much help to you here. The quilt you make will be a blessing to this man. You can't take away his pain, but you can give him his memories in a wonderful quilt that will give him comfort.

Lynn

Cindy, have you thought of cutting the judo or whatever uniform down to fit much nicer into the center of a quilt, then use the other shirts and T-shirts to surround it? I couldn't imagine using the whole thing, unless he wants a mamoth quilt.. sure sounds like it will be pretty though.. and what a lovely memory.

Bonnie, that memory quilt is just so pretty, Linda is a jewel and so is Denny, though he doesn't quilt that I know of. They just made it extra special at that hard time you were going thru..

Hugs to both..

ritaR

Archived