Breaks my heart...UPDATE...Karate Outfit ? Solved

Cindy, have you thought of cutting the judo or whatever uniform down to fit much nicer into the center of a quilt, then use the other shirts and T-shirts to surround it? I couldn't imagine using the whole thing, unless he wants a mamoth quilt.. sure sounds like it will be pretty though.. and what a lovely memory.

Bonnie, that memory quilt is just so pretty, Linda is a jewel and so is Denny, though he doesn't quilt that I know of. They just made it extra special at that hard time you were going thru..

Hugs to both..

ritaR

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a sad story for sure and great of you to want to help to preserve their memory. Karate outfits can be quite heavy fabric sometimes too, especially the top as they are supposed to have kind of a snap sound to their kicks and punches. They usually are made out of a almost light canvas fabric for the stiffness. If he was young the outfit might be more of a lightweight cotton. Both my boys went up thru the ranks of karate to brown and black belt so I actually had made some of their outfits when they were younger as they grew very fast and they got expensive. Good luck and I too would love to see the pictures of the finished quilt

What a sad story for sure and great of you to want to help to preserve their memory. Karate outfits can be quite heavy fabric sometimes too, especially the top as they are supposed to have kind of a snap sound to their kicks and punches. They usually are made out of a almost light canvas fabric for the stiffness. If he was young the outfit might be more of a lightweight cotton. Both my boys went up thru the ranks of karate to brown and black belt so I actually had made some of their outfits when they were younger as they grew very fast and they got expensive. Good luck and I too would love to see the pictures of the finished quilt

Beautiful quilt, Bonnie, filled with such great memories, I'm sure.

I too am in the middle of designing three memorial quilts for my wonderful sister-in-law, her mother, and her niece. The story behind these quilts is really heartbreaking. Myrtle lost her older sister to cancer 10 years ago, in just 16 days of diagnosis. Then 4 years ago her brother's son took his own life at the age of 22. Six weeks ago her brother's wife took her own life at the age of 45. A week ago today her brother Roy died in his sleep of a massive heart attack. I truly think it was of a broken heart. My SIL Myrtle now has no siblings. So at this point they are gathering clothing from the four loved ones they have lost. I'll do two quilts with the clothing of the four 1 for my SIL and 1 for her mother. For Jen (23), who now has lost her entire immediate family, I will make her a quilt with the clothing of her brother, her mom and her dad. I hope and prayer they can wrap themselves in these quilts to help ease the pain. I know just stitching the quilts will give me a chance to ease my ache for them and their loss.

Times like this I really sit back and look around and thank God for everything I have and really appreciate my family all the more. You just never know what life will bring......

Beautiful quilt, Bonnie, filled with such great memories, I'm sure.

I too am in the middle of designing three memorial quilts for my wonderful sister-in-law, her mother, and her niece. The story behind these quilts is really heartbreaking. Myrtle lost her older sister to cancer 10 years ago, in just 16 days of diagnosis. Then 4 years ago her brother's son took his own life at the age of 22. Six weeks ago her brother's wife took her own life at the age of 45. A week ago today her brother Roy died in his sleep of a massive heart attack. I truly think it was of a broken heart. My SIL Myrtle now has no siblings. So at this point they are gathering clothing from the four loved ones they have lost. I'll do two quilts with the clothing of the four 1 for my SIL and 1 for her mother. For Jen (23), who now has lost her entire immediate family, I will make her a quilt with the clothing of her brother, her mom and her dad. I hope and prayer they can wrap themselves in these quilts to help ease the pain. I know just stitching the quilts will give me a chance to ease my ache for them and their loss.

Times like this I really sit back and look around and thank God for everything I have and really appreciate my family all the more. You just never know what life will bring......

sounds crazy, but I saw it done with little baby dresses and it turned out beautifully. Lay the Karate jacket on the quilt and stitch it to the quilt. Sew around the entire outline of the jacket (could cut out the back except for the v neck to make it lighter. Sew the front closed as well.

sounds crazy, but I saw it done with little baby dresses and it turned out beautifully. Lay the Karate jacket on the quilt and stitch it to the quilt. Sew around the entire outline of the jacket (could cut out the back except for the v neck to make it lighter. Sew the front closed as well.

Thanks for all of your ideas! The people on this forum are so generous with ideas and thoughts. I hope to get with him soon to see how big the Karate outfit is (whether it's top AND bottom) and all the other shirts (the son just got his driver's license but I don't know how big the clothing is if it was recent or from years past). I've gathered a few photos of different ones I've seen either on this forum or a few other webshots to show him to see if any of those is what he would like to have since he didn't have any ideas. I need to ask him if it will be used or just a memorial quilt to be displayed because that may sway which way I go with it, too. He doesn't even know what size he wants. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Oh, and I did see the one at MQS but I don't have pictures either. I guess I should have paid more attention. You just never know.

Thanks for all of your ideas! The people on this forum are so generous with ideas and thoughts. I hope to get with him soon to see how big the Karate outfit is (whether it's top AND bottom) and all the other shirts (the son just got his driver's license but I don't know how big the clothing is if it was recent or from years past). I've gathered a few photos of different ones I've seen either on this forum or a few other webshots to show him to see if any of those is what he would like to have since he didn't have any ideas. I need to ask him if it will be used or just a memorial quilt to be displayed because that may sway which way I go with it, too. He doesn't even know what size he wants. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Oh, and I did see the one at MQS but I don't have pictures either. I guess I should have paid more attention. You just never know.

UPDATE: Met with the dad to see the shirts and Karate outfit. He decided just to do the t-shirts and put them in a sashing setting after I showed him pictures of different ways and he never intended for the whole Karate outfit to be on the quilt...just the logos and patches he had on it. Although he does want me to incorporate the numerous belts he achieved on the quilt somehow (maybe appliqued to borders?). His son was quite an artist, too, and we talked about scanning one of his artworks and having it printed on fabric as one of the blocks. He was excited about that and also maybe putting his son's picture on the quilt. It was a good heartwarming meeting as I got to see a lot of his son's artwork, Karate trophies, etc. I think this is going to be a good thing, and I found out he had been waiting several months on a few other ladies to do this project and he got tired of waiting. I told him it would be 2-3 months before I could get to it and he handed me the box of t-shirts and said it was not a problem.:) Be back to this thread in a few months.:)

UPDATE: Met with the dad to see the shirts and Karate outfit. He decided just to do the t-shirts and put them in a sashing setting after I showed him pictures of different ways and he never intended for the whole Karate outfit to be on the quilt...just the logos and patches he had on it. Although he does want me to incorporate the numerous belts he achieved on the quilt somehow (maybe appliqued to borders?). His son was quite an artist, too, and we talked about scanning one of his artworks and having it printed on fabric as one of the blocks. He was excited about that and also maybe putting his son's picture on the quilt. It was a good heartwarming meeting as I got to see a lot of his son's artwork, Karate trophies, etc. I think this is going to be a good thing, and I found out he had been waiting several months on a few other ladies to do this project and he got tired of waiting. I told him it would be 2-3 months before I could get to it and he handed me the box of t-shirts and said it was not a problem.:) Be back to this thread in a few months.:)

Oh, what a sad story. The t-shirt quilt will be so important to him.

A few years ago my next door neighbor's grandson died from brain cancer. He was 6 years old. I made 2 t-shirt quilts for his Mother and Father out of his little super heros t-shirts. My blocks were about 12 inches with the sashing, and it was difficult to get them that large, because the shirts were so small. They are such a comfort to the family.

Oh, what a sad story. The t-shirt quilt will be so important to him.

A few years ago my next door neighbor's grandson died from brain cancer. He was 6 years old. I made 2 t-shirt quilts for his Mother and Father out of his little super heros t-shirts. My blocks were about 12 inches with the sashing, and it was difficult to get them that large, because the shirts were so small. They are such a comfort to the family.

Bonnie,

Your quilt is beautiful! Linda did a great job on it. That was so special of her to made the quilt for you.

When my Mother passed away (today is her 93rd birthday) about a year and a half ago, I just couldn't wrap my head around making a quilt out of her clothing, so we gave it all away. Sometimes I think I should have saved some for a quilt, but it is too late to think about it now.

Bonnie,

Your quilt is beautiful! Linda did a great job on it. That was so special of her to made the quilt for you.

When my Mother passed away (today is her 93rd birthday) about a year and a half ago, I just couldn't wrap my head around making a quilt out of her clothing, so we gave it all away. Sometimes I think I should have saved some for a quilt, but it is too late to think about it now.

Cindy, I find the hardest time is not loosing it with the customer when they see these things that we quilters do when they pick up the quilt! It's a special job that takes special people to do to protect and celebrate their memories while adding a piece of ourselves to the labor of love! Dave B.

Maybe add a cigar band style block under the karate section you do, Bonnie your quilt is beautimous!! Boy did that word light up the boo-boo- lights! LOL

Cindy, I find the hardest time is not loosing it with the customer when they see these things that we quilters do when they pick up the quilt! It's a special job that takes special people to do to protect and celebrate their memories while adding a piece of ourselves to the labor of love! Dave B.

Maybe add a cigar band style block under the karate section you do, Bonnie your quilt is beautimous!! Boy did that word light up the boo-boo- lights! LOL

Archived