fusible web

Brandy, I have stitched through four layers, but you're looking at seven. :o My only suggestion is be sure you have a new larger needle in your machine when you come to quilting that area, and stitch slower in that area. I hope it works out well for you. Let us know how you make out with this job, and what you ended up using. Good luck! :cool:

Brandy, I have stitched through four layers, but you're looking at seven. :o My only suggestion is be sure you have a new larger needle in your machine when you come to quilting that area, and stitch slower in that area. I hope it works out well for you. Let us know how you make out with this job, and what you ended up using. Good luck! :cool:

Which fusible? If it's misty fuse you shouldn't have a problem, I've done it and it was fine. If its something thicker it may be interesting. You may need to adjust the foot, and you will need a new sharp needle. The layers will blunt it very quickly, so expect to change it a lot. I agree with the eye protection and be very ready to stop. The needle may bend not break and that can to do a lot of damage to a quilt very quickly.

Good luck.

Ferret

Which fusible? If it's misty fuse you shouldn't have a problem, I've done it and it was fine. If its something thicker it may be interesting. You may need to adjust the foot, and you will need a new sharp needle. The layers will blunt it very quickly, so expect to change it a lot. I agree with the eye protection and be very ready to stop. The needle may bend not break and that can to do a lot of damage to a quilt very quickly.

Good luck.

Ferret

Ewwww! :o Seriously? Seven layers? Must be as stiff as card board! Brandy, be super careful. You're gonna go through a lot of needles. They dull fast. And gum up, too. You'll have to do a super duper cleaning with WD40. yuck.

Just a thought: You might want to try to avoid quilting through these layers as much as possible. Just quilt around the fusible, or in just a few places to tack it down. If there is a ton of this stuff, you might want to think about having a consultation with the customer about other options.... And, I hate to say no to a customer, but you might want to pass on this one. :( I hate saying no to people but I don' t want to screw up my machine either.

Food for thought.

Keep rockin' gurrrrl! :)

Ewwww! :o Seriously? Seven layers? Must be as stiff as card board! Brandy, be super careful. You're gonna go through a lot of needles. They dull fast. And gum up, too. You'll have to do a super duper cleaning with WD40. yuck.

Just a thought: You might want to try to avoid quilting through these layers as much as possible. Just quilt around the fusible, or in just a few places to tack it down. If there is a ton of this stuff, you might want to think about having a consultation with the customer about other options.... And, I hate to say no to a customer, but you might want to pass on this one. :( I hate saying no to people but I don' t want to screw up my machine either.

Food for thought.

Keep rockin' gurrrrl! :)

I just wouldn't do it . . . had a nasty Huge quilt like that a few weeks ago and I said right away that I would want to stay off of the applique all together. She was fine with that, done deal.

Good Luck & if you do try it - let us know how it went.....

I just wouldn't do it . . . had a nasty Huge quilt like that a few weeks ago and I said right away that I would want to stay off of the applique all together. She was fine with that, done deal.

Good Luck & if you do try it - let us know how it went.....

hi ladies -

this is not a suggestion...cause i have no idea what i'm talking about. it is a question.

i read this and i thought that one of those titanium dipped needles & going real slow might be good for this purpose.

am i way off? if so, please tell me why.

hi ladies -

this is not a suggestion...cause i have no idea what i'm talking about. it is a question.

i read this and i thought that one of those titanium dipped needles & going real slow might be good for this purpose.

am i way off? if so, please tell me why.

I don't think I would even risk stitching in it. That is a lot of layers to go through and I just can't imagine not having problems unless it is a light fusible material. Definitely use a bigger needle.

Meg the only negative I've heard about a titanium needle is that when they break they break higher and can cause some damage.

I don't think I would even risk stitching in it. That is a lot of layers to go through and I just can't imagine not having problems unless it is a light fusible material. Definitely use a bigger needle.

Meg the only negative I've heard about a titanium needle is that when they break they break higher and can cause some damage.

Ok - i see. So if the needle broke, which it would be likely to do sewing thru 7 layers, not only would you have a broken needle, but also some possible machine damage cause it broke higher on the needle.

I'm learning! ;)

Ok - i see. So if the needle broke, which it would be likely to do sewing thru 7 layers, not only would you have a broken needle, but also some possible machine damage cause it broke higher on the needle.

I'm learning! ;)

Archived