You know it's been a long hot summer when...

Everything has been breaking down and going wrong.

Started back in the begining of May when our washing machine broke down, couldn't be fixed so it had to be replaced. Then the dishwasher went out. Soon to follow by BOTH of our cars air conditioning failing (yes in the 110 Plus temps we have been having here in AZ). Along with our upstairs central air needing a recharge of free-on, followed soon their after by our downstairs unit breaking and leaking causing water damage to our hallway leading out into the garage. Then when you think that nothing else could go wrong...THINK AGAIN!!! Just this weekend alone our cable/ internet provider was bought out by thier rival and they started making huge changes to our cable channels and to our internet services (changing our IP address and stuff which was causing problems with the pics I posted the other night-should be strightened out now). Then we have been out all weekend trying to get back to school shopping done for our 5 kids (shoes, clothes, school supplies etc..) when our van got side swipped in the mall parking lot...fortunately we are all fine, but the guy that hit us may not have car insurance. :mad: His proof of insuance stated it was only good until Oct. 2005 and it was for a car other than what he was driving. He swore that he has insurance and that it was my DH's fault for the accident...however there was a nice woman who worked in the mall who stopped because she witnessed the whole thing and said the guy was speeding (passed her) then hit us, The guy tried to get her to change her story but she wouldn't and gave us her information (name and phone #) so she could tell our insurance company what she saw. :cool:

On the bright side though DH did get a new job this summer with a good size pay increase, too bad so far all of the extra $ has had to go to replace or fix things, lol:P

I am sooooo ready for summer to be over, cooler temps and better days.

Joann

Boy, Joann, some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed!!! I'm so sorry to hear of all your troubles. The bright side of all of this is that at least DH was able to get a new job with more $. I sure hope that things will begin to look up soon for you. :)

You know, I thought it was just me. In May, car trouble, $$$, later. Then in late June, car trouble again $$$$. This weekend, my hot water heater is now leaking badly and putting out the pilot light on a regular basis. So that has to be replaced.

Okay, I've had my turn... I think it should be someone else's turn now. :P

Gail

Our money pit this year is my daughter's wedding. She wanted a small wedding - it has grown to slightly more than small. Then because it was going to be a small wedding we decided to just have cake and punch at the reception, meet and greet and send everyone on their way. Since cake was all we were having - and it was going to be small - we decided to have the reception at our house. We have had to tear out the toilet in the bath room in the basement, and found that it was built into the house wrong. My future son-in-law and a friend chisled out the concrete while we were out of town and put everything back in wrong. We came home and had to re-chisle everything out and re-do what they had done. It has taken about 3 weeks to finish the bathroom. Oh, did I say we had to get new carpet in the basement and the living room. We had to finish the bath room in my quilt studio - we have been working on that one for 5 years - don't ask. This has been a snowball - one thing just leads right to another. The wedding is this coming Saturday - Then we will probably find a secluded island and get lost.

It just would be nice to be able to catch my breath in between disasters. Since the water heater is ten years old, this really isn't a huge surprise, but the timing stinks. On a good note, at least where it is leaking isn't making a bigger mess. It is down in my basement, on cement with the drain close by. I should be thankful for small favors.

Mary Beth, let me know which island. ;) Maybe we can have a quilting retreat.

Gail

Gail, Mary Beth; make room for 1 more on that island ;)

Mary Beth your daughters wedding reminds me of the Steve Martin movie "The Father of The Bride" he too was told a small & simple wedding...then lots of $ later :( the daughter was finally married.

Sounds like I am not the only one having a costly year. And yes thank goodness that our air conditioning leak was not our other unit because that would have been more costly since it would have involved having water damage to the carpet area. Where as the damage was contained to a tiled hallway/ garage wall and the only thing we had to do is call serve-pro to dry up the water and get a few baseboards replace along with having the air conditioner unit fixed.

Our house is 8 years old and the appliances where bought new when we moved in (we have a large family) so with all of the wear & tear they received I guess they were do to break down but it just seems like when it rains it poors! :(

We have always been blessed though that when something needed to be replaced or fixed their always seems to be a surge of $ at the time, which helps. Our tax refund this year went to replacing the dishwasher, washer & dryer.

It would be nice though if we were able to use the extra $ flow from time to time for our retirement which is about 25 years away. But I don't think that will happen anytime soon since our oldest will be hitting college in about 3 years and 4 out of our 5 kids are girls which means no savings until they are all married. :(

Joann

Isn't life grand? How nice it is to find out we are not alone but just having the same kind of summer as lots of other people. Maybe we could just pool our left over money and buy that island retreat. I have about $5 to put towards the downpayment.:D

Hi Gals, I can (unfortunately) join into this conversation. In June our AC went out on our van. Hey, no problem, husband drives that. Then in the end of June somebody rear ended our son. Cars still in the shop.

Then today, the first day I had to make the 45 mile each way drive to work, the car overheats on the way home. I managed to get it to the shop. The guy said it at least needs a new radiator fan and thermostat (about $250), but if that doesn't fix it, then it will need a new water pump, timing belt, and retiming ($600-800). I'm ready for that island too.

All right!!! It is official, gang! The plane is leaving for the island first thing tomorrow morning!!! Jump on board!!!

Teresa, I am feeling your pain. I had my truck in for repairs in March, again in May, again in June. If this keeps up, it may be cheaper just to get a new car! Oh, did I mention that I am going to need tires prior to winter?

Just got back from Lowes. The water heater itself wasn't too bad, but then add on installation (I can do a lot, but not install a hot water heater!) and then the city permit (grrrrrrr) and it all adds up. I keep telling myself that this is an inconvenience, not a true problem. Nothing was ruined by the leaking water. And it is being installed tomorrow. Yeah!!! It could have been worse.

I could have found a better way to spend my disposable income. Like on notions and pantos and thread and patterns and, and, and.... :P

O.K. My story is the driveway..... We are trying to have guys cement it.

Easy enough right? Wrong! Main thing - it has taken more concrete than

we thought, each truck is costing about $4-500 more than we guessed.

Prices on it are really up around here! And this "2 day job" is at almost 2

weeks, and Friday they ripped up and out that last 10 feet, because it

dried to fast - wouldn't smooth or whatever! Maybe they should start their

job in the A.M. instead of late in the day, it has been in the 100's around

here as of late. Where is my snow I love so much? So I have cut-up slabs

on my good lawn - torn up by rutts now, and they said they would be here

Monday to finish up. Hmmm, they still have a few hours.... maybe by NEXT

monday:mad:Grrrr......... We have had 4 full trucks and a partial already, at

over a grand each, I do NOT want to pay for anymore.......

Sign me up for that island re-"treat"! I have a great receipe for these little

Chocolate Bon Bons that taste like frozen cookie dough - SOOOO yummy!

I will bring a big batch - Dark Chocolate - better than a Dove bar!

One you others know how to make Pina Colada's right?

Yes, folks, in the grand scheme of things, these are all minor inconveniences. My motto is "if it can be fixed, it's not as bad as it could be!"

We had the a/c at my studio worked on about two months ago and it's barely limping along today. It never got cooler than 79 in the house and with the heat index at 119, I'm not complaining about 79 but the a/c guy will be here in the morning. He's pretty reliable so I'm hoping by noon, it's cool again here. Worse is there is a hot water leak in the concrete foundation and the plumbers will begin removing bathroom fixtures and chipping away the foundation in the front bathroom in the morning.

But, it all all be fixed (for a price), so it isn't as bad as it could be!:P

In the long scheme of things.... Mechanical is nothing its just financial setbacks. I have learned a new lesson this year NEVER take your health for granted.... Telling you that after having brain surgery 2 days before mothers day. I was blessed in that it was'nt in reality anything other than something called a cavernoma and it just had to be taken out and as of today I am totally fine. But I am telling you this 4 days after my stepmother died of brain cancer. Yes I have learned health is more important in the long scheme of things.

Loving Life!!!

Melody; Glad that you are doing better and that the docs have given you a good bill of health after your surgery...just live and enjoy life. Sorry to hear that your step-mother lost her fight with it though.

When my brother was dying (11 years ago) our sister was diagnosed with cervical cancer...very scary time for our family but my sister had her surgery and has been cancer free ever since :)

Well our internet provider problems are still an issue, it appears that they may not let us operate our server (which is where my business website is being hosted from and where I linked my pics the other day from so I could have multiple pics in one post) anyway they haven't said for sure one way or another, DH wasn't able to talk to anyone at the new providers office today that had the authority to say...they just kept giving him to the low level techs. So in the meantime I used the browser button and edited my posts so hopefully they will show now since it's to my hard drive and not to our server.

DH & I were talking last night about the financial burdens this summer and I said that we were having a bad year but he disagreed with me and said the same thing that alot of you have said that this stuff is basically nuisance type issues and then he pointed out that we weren't having the troubles that others are or might be having...have to agree with him on this no matter how bad the repairs have been it could have been a lot worst, so for that I am very thankful. :)

And very thankful for all of you, to remind me that no matter how crazy or upsetting life can get I am not alone with these struggles and that we all have each other to lean on and vent to. ((((HUGS)))) :D

Joann

Joan:

It has been a difficult summer for everyone. I think with the increased utilities, gas prices, and subsequent increase in groceries (someone has to pay for the increased shipping costs), everyone is feeling the pinch.

I try to take one day at a time, and have learned in the last few months to live with my stash...that has helped me alot. Also de-stashing (and selling the goodies to someone else) has helped me pay for other things...

I say a prayer everyday that we will get through this too....

Cynthia

It sounds like we are all in the same boat, everyone has had their set backs and their share of life's problems. All in all, life is good, we have home, even though sometimes the air is on the fritz - I hear of people everyday on the news that are suffering with only a fan. And last week the garage told me that it would cost about $550.00 to fix my car - thankfully my DH and his brother fixed it for $50. So even though things seem bad, like Judy said, it could be worse. I know the plane is to leave this morning for the island - but could you hold it until about 4 pm on Saturday - the wedding will be over by then and the reception will be starting - I don't mind to miss the reception, but I would like to see Jen walk down the aisle. After all I have written a lot of checks in the the last few weeks;)

Mary Beth, I hope they can hold the plane until Saturday. I am still waiting to turn my machine on for the first time. it has been up for 3 weeks now and the longer it sits there the bigger it looks and the scarder I get.

Sheesh. I too agree that all things considered, we are so blessed. At least we don't have bombs falling into our homes and as I have a good friend who it looks like will lose her battle with cancer, I know that the little inconveniences I have are really just that, little. Even when Miguel fell from the ladder, all he got was broken ribs and all I got was bruised. So blessed, so blessed. The best part of this forum is getting to share and laugh and cry and pray with each other.:D

There are many things to be thankful. One of them, as Rekah said, is being able to laugh about all of our disasters. Thank goodness for the internet. I often wonder how I ever managed without it. You are never alone.... Just log on and you are surround by wonderful people who can relate to your issues and problems.

Rekah, you go back and read the email from JudyL on the best advice she ever received. Just go and play with your new machine for an hour. It won't be perfect but babies have to crawl before they can walk also. And a number of us babies are still just at the crawling stage. You can do it Girl!!!

Gail

Happier day today :D

DH finally was able to talk to the right people providing our internet stuff and we will be able to keep our server up & running, they said they will e-mail DH the new info so he will be able to get my business website back up.

Now if the insurance companies would only get back to us about our car accident so we can get the ball rolling on getting my van fix I will be doing the happy dance for sure then! ;)

Joann

yes Bekah - Take the bull by the horns or I guess I mean Machine by the handles and go for it. And don't forget to breath! I found myself getting all tense and had to keep reminding myself that I could breath and just move . It will all come and fall into place. :P And like you said the little things are just a bump in the road compared to some of the problems people are facing. Keeping things in the proper perspective is a good reminder for all of us.

Archived