Bad tension problems with cotton/bamboo batting???

Has anyone experienced bad tension problems with the cotton/bamboo combination batting??? I have just had a horrible couple of hours trying (and giving up) with bad tension whatever I did.

I started using rainbows which I have used sucessfully before, and ended up with Glide (my fail safe !!) and the top thread kept breaking, but as I loosened top tension, it went loopy, and carried on like this whatever I did did not work. The only think different to what I have worked with before is the batting. I tightened the bottom and that didn't work either hoping to help with the top loops.

Any ideas where I could have gone wrong ??? so frustrating. I will try again tomorrow. Luckily it is just a piece of fabric I want to quilt to make some cushion covers for my campervan, so it was only a metre piece wasted !!

Oh well never mind, tomorrow is a new day !!!

My thread is breaking a lot today too!! Of course, I am in Ohio; and it is extremely humid today. I'm using King Tut and Hobbs 80/20. Try loosening the bobbin and tighten the top a bit til your loops go away.

I am using Magna Glide bobbin thread and it is working fine for tension; just the King Tut keeps breaking about once every pass. Never had this trouble before. It might be the old (and crappy) fabrics I am working on. Recycled from the 50's, 60's and 70's. And did I say THICK, THICK seams?? Which I have luckily avoided so far!!

I have only done one quilt with the bamboo/cotton. I used Invisifil from Wonderfil. I used the gold on top and bottom for the center panel with no problem and used a So Fine in the bobbin on the outer portions, again not a problem. I was using this on George instead of a frame machine, so that might make a difference.

Sorry about your problems, Jeanette!

I will venture that this problem is not a tension issue, but a thread-breakage issue. Especially since you have had good luck with certain threads before.

Something is snapping your thread.

Stitch along as you have been until the thread snaps. Raise your lever, being careful not to unspool any more thread, and take the thread end back to the needle. If it doesn't reach the needle, the thread is breaking above the needle plate.

Where to look for the snag-point? Check all pigtails and guides for burrs or grooves. Make sure the thread isn't spooling off widely and catching on a screw-head or pigtail. Change out the needle in case it has a rough spot. Finally, check the hole in the needleplate for nicks or burrs.

(And check that you have it threaded correctly--I have dropped the thread out of that first L-shaped guide above the cone and fussed for a long time trying to get things right! Unthread completely and re-thread to be sure.)

If the thread is breaking below the needle plate--you may have a nick or burr on the hook. Get out the manual to find the spots to check and how to polish them out.

I hope this was helpful and your problems get solved soon!

Thanks for advice, I did rethread completely which did n't help. I didnt think about possible burs though so will check the pigtails etc. I did change to a new needle but still breaking thread.

I think it could also be the chintzy type fabric that I was using too !!

Will try again tomorrow using a different fabric with the same wadding, I hope it isnt the wadding.

Thanks

Hi Janette.

It may not be "you", it may be that batting.

I used it once with So Fine on top and bottom and found it to be very abrasive to the thread. I did not like it and would not use it for my quilts. It quilted fine but was rough on the threads. I felt like it was an effort for the thread to go through the batt.

Yours just may be a very abrasive batch! Try loosening the quilt sandwich.

Good luck!

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

NJ

Hi Janette

I have just took a quilt of the frame, using Quilters Dream Orient, Bamboo Mid Loft. I had loads of tension problems, mainly with the bobbin thread breaking. The wadding feels wonderful, but I do not think I will use it again as it shedded terribly. I do not know if I can blame the wadding for my tension problems, except to say in the year I have had my Lenni, this was the first time I had really bad tension problems. I am kind of glad it is now off the frame:D

I've used a lot of the bamboo blends and I love them. I've not found them to be hard on threads but I only use cotton threads so maybe poly suffers more with it?

I'd go with the bur theory, it's usually that when this starts up, or my hook assembly has gone for a walk. I think the latter is a problem pretty much unique to me and touch wood it's been pretty rare since I put a new one on.

Could your bobbin tension be higher than you think? If you are running a thicker bobbin thread than usual that will effectively increase the bobbin tension and make it more likely to pull the top thread to the bottom. Also a prewound with a slightly small core can have the same effect.

The only other thing I can suggest is the thread. Pull it between you fingers. Is it weak? If so it may just be a duff cone. They can go bad in the middle. Been there done that. Superior were great and sent a replacement straight away.

Good luck

Ferret

Thanks for all suggestions, I have been looking for burs, but cant find any. I did try cotton thread too and had the same problems, so i am guessing it could have been the fabric which wasnt the normal cotton quilting fabric that I usually use. It was cotton, but had a chintzy ish kind of finish. I tried two different poly threads and kept getting breakage on both. I think I will get it all cleaned up in the bobbin area and start again. I have taken that piece off the frame now, but will try the bamboo/cotton again though. Hopefully next time I will have success.

Also I was getting bobbin thread and top thread breakage which was weird as I have never had bobbin thread snap before.

thanks for all advice. Will let you know how I get on with the next attempt !! I cant try too much though yet as my neck and shoulders and back are murder !!!! off to the chiropractor again Friday and having x rays too. Am getting fed up with feeling alot less than 100% !!!

Archived