Zipper installation... hem or not?

I've got Darlene Epp's doc in front of me if that's the one you're referring to, that is what made me post the question, as the directions with the quick zip don't do that.

She also pins the zippers completely on prior to stitching, did you all find this necessary?

Oh...another question. In the future, should I have to square up my leaders again (Thanks Heidi, I'm going to do this now) would I have to remove the zippers and start all over again?

Heidi, when you zip them together do you spray them damp with water first, before you roll them back and forth? I think someone has mentioned doing this, Sheri Butler, Joann Hoffman, uuuuhhh, maybe Karon our Ouiltaholic? Whoever it was zips them together, sprays them damp, tightens them up and rolls back and forth. Then they leave them zipped while they dry.

No no no no no don't get them wet! That is why I am replacing mine! You would not BELIEVE how much they shrink! I spritzed mine with spray starch, and it made them totally wonky!

Then I thought I could wash them and at least they'd shrink evenly... They shrunk up nearly 18 inches!!!!!

I believe it was TinaCollins (username) who posted excellent instructions for squaring up leaders on this forum long ago....I cannot remember if she gave instructions for installing zippers. Try searching her name for info too.

When I installed my zippers, I did not pin, but I did hem them.

Where do you get the directions for installing these Quick Zip zipper systems. A friend has a set, no instructions, and no internet access. Is there somewhere you can go to print out a set of instructions? I told her I'd look.

It took me a long time to actually get around to attaching my zippers. I read everything I could find and still was a little confused. Eventually I kinda came up with my own solution after seeing Pam Clarke's zippers in her "Pin Basting for the Longarm" DVD.

First, I hemmed the machine leaders to square them up and provide a better edge -- mine seemed a little stretchy and wonky even though I was working with a selvage edge. Then I made six separate small leaders (about 6 inches wide and the length of the zippers) out of a decorator weight fabric in a ticking pattern with the stripes running the full length. Fabric was inexpensive from Walmart, about 3 1/2 to 4 yards. These striped leaders are the same length as the zippers and were centered and marked. Sewed one of these small leaders to each of the 6 zipper halves (3 for the machine set and 3 for the quilt set), using my domestic machine. Then, instead of sewing three small zip leaders to the three machine leaders, I used 2" safety pins and pinned them permanently onto the 3 hemmed machine leader edges. I could have sewed them on with the longarm, but just didn't want to fiddle with it. Sew or pin, I feel like the small leaders made it easier to attach than trying to sew or pin the zipper itself to the machine leaders. I also used a sharpie to carefully mark the three small quilt set leaders as to which one went where and even marked off inch marks across each one, which makes it easier to center up the quilt.

Now, instead of pinning directly to the quilt set of zippers, I have this extra 6 inches or so of fabric with straight horizontal lines to pin to. I've only had them on for a couple weeks, have done a couple quilts and so far it's working great.:)

I also did exactly as Mary did for the installation of my zippers. When I attach my zippers to the top and backing I have an old Singer chain stitch machine that I attach them with. Pins and I do not get along. I am a bloody mess and am hurting by the time I get a quilt pinned to the leaders. I have a new set of leaders for the rollers but I have yet to get them on. It's only been a year. Fabric needs to age appropriately ya know.

Archived